Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Picking Up My 2009 20' Flying Cloud on this Tuesday!!!

I am about to become a new and proud owner of a 2009 20' Flying Cloud. This has been years in the making. I live near Burlington, VT and am eager to get out on my first adventure. Anybody have any favorite suggestions for a first trip?
FlyingClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums and a big congratulations on your new baby! You'll have a blast with it...

Not being from your neck o' the woods, we can't suggest a first trip destination, but for a shakedown trip, we'd suggest making it fairly close to home, an "easy" park to navigate...and take the phone number of the dealer in case you have questions or problems. And don't be afraid to ask for help from other campers in the park if you run into a problem...most are willing and eager to help out a fellow camper. We've been helped out, and we've helped out a few times, too...

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
Congrats , I know you are excited, if you ever get down to the southern part of the country the north georgia mountains are incredible, but you have a wonderful state where you are , I look forward to getting up that way someday. Where ever you head out first have a great time and good to see you here on the board.

Roy B
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Thanks for your enthusiasm and suggestions. I appreciate your thoughts remembering the that excitement on your "first." Feels like Christmas Day is coming this Tuesday afternoon. Happy Travels to you too. See you on the road.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy B View Post
Congrats , I know you are excited, if you ever get down to the southern part of the country the north georgia mountains are incredible, but you have a wonderful state where you are , I look forward to getting up that way someday. Where ever you head out first have a great time and good to see you here on the board.

Roy B
Thanks Roy. Never been to the mountains of Georgia. Sure like to though. My girlfriend is from Georgia. Down along the ocean. Her DAd had a fishing business. She is my Peach :-)
Thank you for your kind remarks and enthusiasm. Can't wait to take off. Tuesday night can't get here fast enough...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Congratulations

Congratulations...keep it close to home and simple for that first shake down and consider carefully what type of equipment you'll want to stock the coach with as you get to know your Airstream. Half the fun of a travel trailer is stocking it with good equipment.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have owned our 2008 Safari SE 20 (almost identical to your Flying Cloud 20) since July 24 2008. It has approximately 15,000 miles and 45 camping days on it. I am composing this reply in our Safari parked in a little RV park owned by the town of Holly, CO. We are here to attend a family Memorial Day celebration. We, my wife and I, think that the Safari SE/Flying Cloud 20 demonstrates the best use of space of any smaller Airstream model. It is a dream to tow and very comfortable for the two of us and our dog. Make sure that the Airstream dealer goes over all details of operation. Ask many questions. Take it slow and easy during the learning curve period and, for that matter, always when towing. If you have some family or friends that are into the RV lifestyle, It is very comforting to have them along for the first outing. They can teach you the ropes and etiquette of camping. My best advice is just enjoy your new Flying Cloud. I'm certain that you will soon love it as we love ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	80800  
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
Congratulations...keep it close to home and simple for that first shake down and consider carefully what type of equipment you'll want to stock the coach with as you get to know your Airstream. Half the fun of a travel trailer is stocking it with good equipment.
Dear Alice&Billis,
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll remember what you say about trial and error. Been reading a fair amount of other people's input here and in books. Are there any "favorites" you could recommend of yours?
And thanks again...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeltersmoke View Post
We have owned our 2008 Safari SE 20 (almost identical to your Flying Cloud 20) since July 24 2008. It has approximately 15,000 miles and 45 camping days on it. I am composing this reply in our Safari parked in a little RV park owned by the town of Holly, CO. We are here to attend a family Memorial Day celebration. We, my wife and I, think that the Safari SE/Flying Cloud 20 demonstrates the best use of space of any smaller Airstream model. It is a dream to tow and very comfortable for the two of us and our dog. Make sure that the Airstream dealer goes over all details of operation. Ask many questions. Take it slow and easy during the learning curve period and, for that matter, always when towing. If you have some family or friends that are into the RV lifestyle, It is very comforting to have them along for the first outing. They can teach you the ropes and etiquette of camping. My best advice is just enjoy your new Flying Cloud. I'm certain that you will soon love it as we love ours.
Dear SmelterSmoke,
Thanks for writing me. And CONGRATULATIONS on your recent Safari SE. I am soooo glad to hear you love yours soooo much. I went back and forth between a '09 FC 23' but felt the floor plan was far better thought out or at least for my perceived needs/wants. The only concern I have is the small tanks if I choose to dry camp from time to time. Suppose I could bring a couple 5 gal water bottles but I'll sort that out with experience. Any idea how many gals. of fresh water you use per day by chance? I have an Aussie named Marley who'll be my faithful companion on many an adventure. Thanks for the tip on asking the dealer to thoroughly explain all features and functions. He offered to give me his cell phone/home number in case I had any questions. Loved your photograph!!! How do I attach photos?? Happy travels and enjoy your family gathering!!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Flying Clouds,

We have never run dry. But then, we have only dry camped for one night at a time. We have filled up the gray and black tanks, but have always been close to a dump station. My initial concern was running out of hot water during a shower, but that six gallon water heater is quite amazing, it can recycle very rapidly. If you don't dilly dally during your shower two people can take a comfortable shower in a relatively short period of time. As for attaching files, scroll down from the message reply window and you will see additional options. Click on "manage attachments" and just follow directions.

Again, have a great time in your new Airstream and welcome aboard.

Bill
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Thanks again, Bill! I love photography and will look forward to posting photographs of road trips in the very near future. Thanks for the tip on how to post photos. That was helpful. Glad to hear the water heater can recycle quickly. That is nice to know as well. I read that the handhled showe by oxygenics is quite powerful for rinsing and miserly on water usage. Have to see how I like the one that comes with my FC.
Happy and safe travels to you and your wife. Many thanks.
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby. You're going to have a blast.

We're writing this tonight in our Airstream in Oxnard, California

Safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3980.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	80810  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We dry camp three nights at a stretch all the time with no problem. You learn to take efficient showers! My wife is on Cape Cod for nine nights right now dry camping but taking some showers in the campground facilities. She may also have to start up the generator at some point.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby. You're going to have a blast.

We're writing this tonight in our Airstream in Oxnard, California

Safe travels.
Dear SuEllyn and Brian,
It's amazing to see how many other Airstreamers have offered their encouragement and enthusiasm via the Forum. I feel extremely welcomed and can see that the Forum really works.
10 years ago I was in Oxnard. I was on a solo bike trip from Medford, OR to L.A riding my bike all along the coastal highway. It was an insanely memorable trip. Would love to come out your way again and head pu to the Lost Cove area. Do you know of any places suitable for my trailer there?
Happy travels to you guys and maybe we'll meet one day...
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
We dry camp three nights at a stretch all the time with no problem. You learn to take efficient showers! My wife is on Cape Cod for nine nights right now dry camping but taking some showers in the campground facilities. She may also have to start up the generator at some point.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
Dear Wayne,
Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your tips on dry camping. I am eager to work out my "system" as it were. I can see how you guys stretch it to make it work. Sounds good.
Can you share any of your favorite places? And where is a good place to stay on the Cape??
Can't wait until this Tuesday...Getting the trailer brake installed and the hitch and sway bar!! Then, Miles To Nowhere...
Happy and safe travels to you and your wife.
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
Yes my Airstream has better and newer items in it then my home..Just the way I want it.. Be sure to post some photos of it here on this thread too..WE WANNA SEE IT!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Hey Airboss,
When you say stocking your AS with "good equipment" give me your top 5 favorites. Just curious what they are and why?
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here's a list of our six most "handy" items for our Bambi:

1. A set of Fagor Multi-Functional Nested Cookware Amazon.com: Fagor Commercial 15-Piece Multi-Functional Stainless-Steel Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining (We got ours at Camping World but I can't find them on their website any more.)

2. "Snapware" stackable food storage containers (for frig & cupboards)...Got ours at Costco, but here's their website: SNAPWARE® : Innovative Home Storage

3. Over cabinet door hooks (Bath Bath & Beyond and Camping Worlds): Bed Bath & Beyond - Forma Over-the-Cabinet Hooks

4. A flexible sewer hose support system...here's one type available at Camping World: Flexible Sewer Hose Support - Product - Camping World

5. A set of leveling blocks...here's the type we have: RV Leveling Blocks - Product - Camping World

6. Tire Pressure Monitoring System (we have Pressure Pros)...love them! Not cheap, but well worth the expense. We got ours through 68 Overlander .

You'll have a lot of fun just finding stuff for outfitting your trailer...especially when you can find it in stainless steel or brushed aluminum!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Charlotte, , Vermont
Dear TB, Greg, Annie & Sadie,
Thanks for your top five favorites! Will check out each of the links you sent in greater detail. How about your top five faves for destinations...
Thanks a lot,
Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Congratulations, Chris!

According to the website for "The Largest Boat and Airstream Dealer in Vermont," their sole FC 20 is no longer for sale...so, I'm guessing you are the lucky owner. Great choice.

As far as favorite destinations, I'd recommend the Province Lands National Seashore (Provincetown, MA), which is just a little over 5 hours/340 miles from where you are. Wonderful campground near the beach. Be sure to take your bike along, and please do post some pics of your new Airstream (the dealer never put any of this unit on his website).

I don't imagine you'll be sleeping much tonight, so I hope you have a good book .
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote