Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #1

1962 22' Safari
Ventura , California
Picking up first Airstream tomorrow – 1962 Safari

I’m picking up my first Airstream this Friday and I want take the necessary precautions to get it home safely. The airstream has been sitting and hasn’t been moved for least 7-8 years. I have a 150 mile tow to get it home and I would like to know what I should do b4 the tow. The tires need to be replaced so I brought some new 15” trailer rims to replace the split rims on it but now but I’m not sure what brand and size tires to buy. Also, how do I repack the wheel bearings b4 the tow and what should I check on the brakes?
Safari007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and AS ownership!! The adventure and journey begin!!

There is a current thread that will answer most if not all of your questions. You can find it here. Especially check out post #5 on that thread.

Good luck with the move and the Airstream. Ask lots of questions and post lots of pictures.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums!

Congrats on the "New to you" vintage trailer!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Take some pictures when you go pick it up, it will be cool to see before you get home and cleaned up
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
Welcome and congrat's on the new baby.
we have a "62" Safari 22ft twin new to us as of 9-2010
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

1961 22' Safari
Burlington , Vermont
1962 Safari and newbieism

How did the tow go? I just purchased a 62 Safari as well. It hasn't been sitting quite as long, and the current owner thinks that even though the tires are weather checked, that I should be able to safely tow it 40 miles without replacing them and regreasing/repacking the bearings.

I'm curious about what you ended up getting for tires, how you went about checking the brakes, etc., as I'm a few weeks away from doing all of the above.

Also, have you had any luck finding paperwork on it? Since they didn't make manuals till 1966 (or something like that), I'm having a hard time tracking down info about that model. Since I'm an Airstream newbie, I thought it would be helpful. I've followed a few threads in search of info but have come up empty.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari007 View Post
I’m picking up my first Airstream this Friday and I want take the necessary precautions to get it home safely. The airstream has been sitting and hasn’t been moved for least 7-8 years. I have a 150 mile tow to get it home and I would like to know what I should do b4 the tow. The tires need to be replaced so I brought some new 15” trailer rims to replace the split rims on it but now but I’m not sure what brand and size tires to buy. Also, how do I repack the wheel bearings b4 the tow and what should I check on the brakes?
hartlander8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

1962 22' Safari
Ventura , California
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I'm new at using the Airstream forum. My tow went fine. When I picked up the trailer I took two new rims and tires with me because the trailer tires were in really bad shape. I was also new to towing and I didn't check the brakes and also took a risk without repacking the bearings and luckily I didn't have any problems. I replaced the tires with ST225/&5R15D ST Radial tires and I can't remember the brand. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the trailer other then information I have found on the forum.

I'm in the process of restoring the trailer now and having a lot of fun working on it.

Good luck with your new trailer and let me know how it goes!
Safari007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Coldest I've ever been in my life was in Ventura, California in 1964 in July.

How about some pictures?

Welcome, glad you're here.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
I am sooooooo jealous!!!! Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!
kds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, 1962 safari