Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
Good luck. Enjoy your adventures. Come to SC, no snow!!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun84 View Post
without a hitch
There's your problem right there.

Welcome.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Looks like a really nice unit...
How did you talk Airstream Adventures NW to deliver it to Sweetgrass? Smart move on your part! Was importing it a big deal at all?

We just purchased a 28' Flying cloud from Airstream Adventures NW (Seattle) and now will have to get over there in the next few weeks to collect it.
(Yick - Sweetgrass would be a lot closer if I would have thought of it earlier....lol)

As a side note what hitch are you towing with?

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
As a side note - I not on your pictures, you already have a set of WBCCI member numbers. did you have North West put them on for you?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Looks like a really nice unit...
How did you talk Airstream Adventures NW to deliver it to Sweetgrass? Smart move on your part! Was importing it a big deal at all?

We just purchased a 28' Flying cloud from Airstream Adventures NW (Seattle) and now will have to get over there in the next few weeks to collect it.
(Yick - Sweetgrass would be a lot closer if I would have thought of it earlier....lol)

As a side note what hitch are you towing with?

Cheers
Doug
Hi Doug,

Steve Wells at Airstream Adventures in Nampa Idaho was really accommodating; we told him upfront that we'd like the trailer delivered to the border if possible. There was a reasonable charge for the delivery but it certainly was better than driving all the way to the dealership.

We were very anxious about the importation process and brought every document we had pertaining to the trailer. The process was easier than expected however. We provided the certificate of origin and the US bill of sale to a very unpleasant CBSA drone then she gave us the RIV form to fill out. Seconds later she was stamping forms with amazing bureaucratic efficiency and we were off to see the cashier to pay the Federal shakedown. After that we were free to go. They didn't inspect the trailer, check the stickers on it, or even glance at it, they just wanted our money.

Bringing the vehicle into Canada took maybe an hour, 90% of that time was spent in line. Looking back we were far too concerned about crossing the border.

We used an Equalizer hitch, and it performed great. The trailer was a breeze to tow. The only downside to the Equalizer that I noticed was the horrendous creaking and clunking noises when performing tight turns. I think the noise is coming from where the torsion bars connect to the hitch. I'm considering throwing a little lithium grease on hitch end of the torsion bars but want to research the consequences of doing so (friction being necessary to the anti-sway function of the hitch). If anyone has insight on the topic I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
As a side note - I not on your pictures, you already have a set of WBCCI member numbers. did you have North West put them on for you?
With regards to the WBCCI number on the unit; you're right, we had the dealership put the decals on before we took delivery. We told Steve Wells that we'd like to join the club (hoping to acquire some wisdom) and inquired as to whether we could have them apply the decals. They not only applied the decals, they registered us and paid our first year's membership dues too!

Can't say enough good things about our experience with Airstream Adventures NW out of Nampa. What had been stressing us out for months turned out to be a breeze.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
There's your problem right there.

Welcome.
Haha, I knew that comment would get a response!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the info Stephen....
Enjoy your new unit!
Cheers
Doug