Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Photos of our 1964 Overlander. Original?

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...mageuser=73621
There you should find photos of our Overlander. We are planning to bring it home today, my neighbor that complains about everything is going to be made, lol. I am told its all original. Let me know if anything looks like it doesnt belong. Can't wait to clean it up stock it with all the old goodies I bought for it.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings CarCollector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCollector View Post
Airstream Trailer Photos - Photo Gallery
There you should find photos of our Overlander. We are planning to bring it home today, my neighbor that complains about everything is going to be made, lol. I am told its all original. Let me know if anything looks like it doesnt belong. Can't wait to clean it up stock it with all the old goodies I bought for it.
Your Overlander appears to be very original. The range/sink cabinet is original and it appear that the Formica countertop is original as well . . . I think that all '64 Overlanders must have been equipped with a ranging having the medium brown/sandstone oven door. The single shelf spice rack is something that I have seen on very few '64 Airstreams . . . a three-shelf spic cabinet was more common on the larger coaches (helped to hide the plumbing vent for the kitchen sink (this may be one of the differences between factories).

The bathroom fixtures also appear to be original. It is the first '64 Overlander that I have seen with the pink bathroom fixtures, but I do believe that it was one of the available colors (it seems that Avacado Green was the most common color). If your Overlander still has the ABS enclosure for the toilet, it is something worth preserving . . . it seems that it is often something that was cobbled up when the original toilet had to be replaced by a more modern unit . . . there are modern toilets available today that will fit within the original ABS enclosure with very minor modifications.

The front lounge appears to be original, but I suspect that the upholstery dates to the late 1970s or early 1980s. If the original foam wasn't replaced in a prior refurb, it is something that can help to make the lounge much more comfortable . . . I find that my front lounge with new upholstery and high density foam is quite comfortable for lounging as well as sleeping. The twin beds appear to have foam mattresses very similar to the originals, but again the upholstery appears to be 1970s ro early 1980s. The center twins is one place where I varied from the original Airstream design and had custom mattresses made that match those that I have in my bedroom at home . . . an expense, but one that makes the coach very comfortable for extended journeys.

I don't think that your Overlander's refrigerator is original. Originally, at least in my '64 Overlander, there was a cutlery drawer immediately above the refrigerator . . . the new replacement refrigerators that are close in capacity to the original are about 2.3" taller which usually resulted in removing the drawer rather than raising the counter where the television usually resides. This could also be a difference between factories . . . my Overlander was produed in Jackson Center, OH . . . or it could also be a difference between Land Yacht and Land Yacht International. There are very few absolutes with Vintage Airstreams as running changes were often made during production . . . and the factory was quite accommodating to special requests from customers.

There are times when I think that the dent in the front corner banana wrap must have been a standard feature on '64 Overlanders . . . mine has an almost identical dent. I am almost certain that mine came from the 1970 Mercury Monterey Coupe that was my Overlander's third tow vehicle (first was a 1957 Mercury Monterey, second was 1964 Mercury Monterey).

The number on the front is like the remnants of a WBCCI membership number. The number is much higher than one issued in 1964 so it likel dates to the 1970s as I don't think that five digit numbers made their appearance until sometime in the 1970s.

I think that the bathroom closet that you have pictured is likely the one that conceals the water heater. I believe that 10-gallon water heaters must have been standard on the '64 Airstreams that were Trade Wind or larger.

I am fairly certain that the floor coverings have been updated. You may find, as I did, that a remnant of the original floor covering was overlooked in the curbside compartment below the twin bed (accessed from exterior hatch). My Overlander originally had an off-white sculptured carpet everywhere except the bathroom . . . I am not certain whether it was standard that way or if it was a feature special ordered by my coach's original owners as I do know that they special ordered it through their dealer.

The only feature that I didn't notice in your photos is the dining table. It is not uncommon to find a Vintage Airstream missing its dining table as they were "portable". The original table had two drop leaves and could seat four comfortably and six in a pinch . . . my Overlander's original owners ordered a set of four Leg-O-Matic chairs for use with the dining table and I currently have four reproduction Leg-O-Matic chairs that I carry in the coach. Airstream utilized several different designs for their dining tables from the 1950s through the 1960s so it isn't too difficult to source a period table that will replicate the look of the original provided by Airstream

Good luck with your Overlander! I am sure that the coach will provide you with many years of enjoyment.

Kevin

P.S.: The furnace and water heater access covers on the exterior are original and somethiing that many owners strive to preserve. Since my furnace and water heater were replaced early in my ownership of the Overlander, I didn't see a value in keeping mine and disposed of them. They can be polished and keep the coach looking original. The air conditioner appears to be a later model, but if it is an Armstrong Bay Breeze it is likely worth the effort to find a technician capable of repairing the unit.

The spare tire mounting location is also original, but it appears that the aluminum cover is missing. Again a missing cover isn't uncommon, and it is possible to adapt a modern cover from a conversion van or just use a nice fabric cover of some type. The one issue that can be encountered is that between the LP tank mount and spare tire mount is can be a bit difficult to locate hitch parts with some models of weight distributing hitches.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings CarCollector!

I have returned to the photos of your Overlander several times, and couldn't firgure out what was different on your coach. Finally, it dawned on me . . . your coach is a "custom" at least to the extent that there are some features that weren't a part of the "normal" option list.

The front living room window is a special order feature as the standard window would have been a pair of stacked windows very similar to those in the bedroom. I have seen a number of '64 Ambassadors and Sovereigns with thes custom jalousie windows, but I believe that your Overlander is the first that I have seen so equipped. The kitchen range vent is also different from the arrangement on my Overlander . . . I suspect that your coach may be a very early 1964 as I believe that is the style range vent that was utilized in 1963 and was likely used in the early 1964s (my Overlander was built mid-model year). The original clearance lights would have been of a "teardrop" design, I believe that the ones on your Overlander likely date to the late 1970s. What intrigues me is that there aren't (or don't appear to be) clearance lights above the front window . . . I can't remember seeing any other 1964 Airstreams (Trade Wind or larger) without the clearance lights above the front and rear windows.

The hardware on the cabinets is definitely the variety that was utilized in 1963 and 1964. Be forewarned that it is difficult to find replacement knobs and the internal "barbed" catch . . . the springs can usually be replaced with items sourced form an old-fashioned hardware store. The knobs on the wardrobes, at least in my Overlander, have a nasty habbit of vibrating off while in transit and they roll all over the coach creating scavenger hunts on a regular basis. I am fairly certain that your Overlander's bank of drawers next to the sink is either a "custom" feature or something unique to its factory of origin . . . the only kitchen drawer that my Ohio Overlander had was the cutlery drawer above the refrigerator.

I suspect that your are going to learn that your Overlander has something of an interesting pedigree! Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
There is a drawer below the fridge. Is that normal or custom?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings CarCollectolr!

Quote:
There is a drawer below the fridge. Is that normal or custom?
I haven't encountered a '64 with a drawer below the refrigerator as it would interrupt the fresh air path from the floor up throught the chimney for the refrigerator. It is possible that you have a very early 1964 coach that has some 1963 features as well as 1964 features . . . such has been reported from time-to-time through the end of the 1960s.

I am also beginning to wonder if you might have a 1963 that wasn't sold new until after the introduction of the 1964s and was titled as a 1964. Some clues that such might be the case would include:
  • The VIN number should firmly establish the model year.
  • 1964 Overlanders had a Univolt from the factory so all lights were 12-volt; the 1963 Overlanders didn't have a Univolt from the factory so lights were a combination of 120-Volt-AC and 12-Volt-DC.
  • 1964 Overlanders had a One-Stop-Service-Compartment located in the rear that included a large door below the rear window; most 1963 Overlanders did not have a One-Stop-Service Compartment so didn't have the large access in the rear.
  • 1964 Overlanders had a fiberglass chimney that ran from the top of the refrigerator cabinet to the roof . . . and there is a screened opening through the subfloor and bellypan to provide air circulation for the refrigerator cooling coils. Some of the 1963 Overlanders didn't have a factory chimney for the refrigerator and utilized just a vent cut through the floor according to my understanding.
  • I am not certain, but the 1963 Overlanders may have had pressure water systems rather than the demand water systems utilized in the 1964 Overlanders.
I am inclined to believe that your Overlander may be a custom . . . not an all out custom, but one with a number of features indicating that it was built of one of Airstream's discriminating customers of the 1960s.

Good luck with your investigation into your coach's pedigree!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Here is all but the last four digits of my trailer's vin. SO2642. I will let you know that the last four numbers start with 00, then have 2 digits. I know with cars that means it was one of the first off the production line for that year, not sure if it's the same with trailers, but if so, it was one of the very first trailers off the line.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I haven't encountered a '64 with a drawer below the refrigerator as it would interrupt the fresh air path from the floor up throught the chimney for the refrigerator. It is possible that you have a very early 1964 coach that has some 1963 features as well as 1964 features . . . such has been reported from time-to-time through the end of the 1960s.

Looking at the vin number, if they do them the same as cars, this trailer was one of the first 20 trailers off the line.
  • 1964 Overlanders had a One-Stop-Service-Compartment located in the rear that included a large door below the rear window; most 1963 Overlanders did not have a One-Stop-Service Compartment so didn't have the large access in the rear.
We have the One-Stop-Service Compartment
  • 1964 Overlanders had a fiberglass chimney that ran from the top of the refrigerator cabinet to the roof . . . and there is a screened opening through the subfloor and bellypan to provide air circulation for the refrigerator cooling coils. Some of the 1963 Overlanders didn't have a factory chimney for the refrigerator and utilized just a vent cut through the floor according to my understanding.
Got the fiberglass chimney.
  • I am not certain, but the 1963 Overlanders may have had pressure water systems rather than the demand water systems utilized in the 1964 Overlanders.
Not sure on what our water system is yet, I'll look in the owner's manual when I get a chance.

Good luck with your investigation into your coach's pedigree!

Thanks, I may end up needing lots of help. But it looks like it might be easier than a car, lol.
Thanks everyone for the help so far.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings CarCollector!

The VIN number indicates a 1964 Ohio built Overlander with Land Yacht trim level and center twin layout. Your interpretation is correct, so it appears that your Overlander was among the first 1964 Overlanders built in the Ohio factory.

Good luck with your Overlander . . . it has a number of features that will distingish it from its siblings!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings CarCollector!

The VIN number indicates a 1964 Ohio built Overlander with Land Yacht trim level and center twin layout. Your interpretation is correct, so it appears that your Overlander was among the first 1964 Overlanders built in the Ohio factory.

Good luck with your Overlander . . . it has a number of features that will distingish it from its siblings!

Kevin

Well that's pretty cool. That just makes me want to keep it as original as possible even more.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
That's a cool Overlander and Kevin's input is always very informative. My '63 is a late year build from California and while it does have the rear compartment that's not normally seen on a '63, it does not have any of the one-stop connections in there. The '63's and 64's do seem to have some features that help distinguish them from other years.

Keep us posted on your progress...I'm almost done with a 2+ year frame off rebuild.
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Any idea where I can find out how many were built in 1964? And even better would be how many came from Ohio.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Kevin (Overlander64) seems to have that type of information at his fingertips, for pretty much any query you might ever have.

When doing resto/reno work, it's nice to have a photo archive of other units. Here's one for you to look at:

1964 Overlander 26' - Vintage Airstream

I agree, yours looks like a bit like a 63/64 hybrid, it has some features of each. Good luck working on it, keep us posted on your progress.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings CarCollector!

Quote:
Any idea where I can find out how many were built in 1964? And even better would be how many came from Ohio.
My 1964 Overlander Land Yacht International was the 426th off of the production line in Jackson Center, OH. It was special ordered by its original owners mid-year 1964. Based on the number of 1964 Overlanders that still seem to be in operation, there must have been quite a number of them produced in 1964.

Unfortunately, Airstream has been very frugal with any information regarding the numbers of any particular models of Vintage Airstreams produced. The only way that approximations of production have been derived at this point is the creation of registries for a particular model . . . then looking at the lowest production number compared to the highest production number. So far as I know, there isn't a registry for any 1964 models other than the Bambi II (and I don't know how active that registry is today).

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Congrates on your purchase. This might help you out, but exact numbers are not known due to all those records being destroyed. I see your name is CarCollector. If you are looking at the early build date and numbers built from the same eyes as one does with collecting cars, it will have very little benefit to you. A 64 Overlander is just not in the "must have in my collection" category. Make the most of what you have, get out on the road, and enjoy the Airstream lifestyle. Early 64 is good, it still had the earlier windows. Later in 64 the window changed for a brief(and tragic)period.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 overlander