Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Passages - Attention Moderators/Andy

Going Walkabout? Goodbye's and Farewells - and Obituaries

This is the wrong place for this post, but earlier today it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't seen a posting from a user who has been very active on the forum since at least 2011. TinCrumpet I finally found that her last posting was done in April of this year. She was recovering from a pretty serious illness, scarlet fever, and then nothing. I sent her a PM, but I'm not sanguine of hearing back. I must say I'm a bit ashamed that I hadn't noticed her absence a lot sooner.

The truth is that probably more than half of the members are 50 or older and so the reaper will be taking us sooner than later. (I'm 66 and just yesterday I was told I'm "middle aged".... like I'm actually going to make it to age 132! No I'm old.) I have a sister who would assuredly post and let you all know if I went to room temperature. She would probably put the Airstream in the classifieds at the same time, but at least she'd let you all know what happened.

I also think this putative sub forum ought to allow members to announce a hiatus - I might go Yeti hunting in Tibet for six months, or join a cloistered nunnery or....

While I hate to think that someone might have died, I would really rather know. May I suggest a new sub-forum for those going on hiatus or resigning or for those who have families that want to let us know of a death in our ranks. Maggie's threads about Doug's heart attack and passing may have helped her, but they were also a gift for us remain to know we might have helped Maggie a tiny bit too.

Old age definitely ain't for the faint of heart, is it?

Live long and Perspire? Paula
Old 12-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
WELL! I might just move into your Airstream and spend your millions carousing...don't underestimate me, sister! BTW, 66 is just the start of your titanium years...knees, that is. I doubt either of us will make it to 132 but The Evil Mother made to 86 with all of her teeth no less so hang on, it's not a job it's an adventure!,
Old 12-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Paula,

TinCrumpet is alive and well, but taking a break from these forums.

And, y'all helped me a lot.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There was a suggestion a while back for a condolences sub-forum somewhere in the "Our Community" section, and I raised the ante by suggesting that there should be one for more positive announcements such as births and marriages as well (and I guess in some cases, divorce announcements might be positive, too). Now it looks like the ante has been upped again, to include a suggested thread for people who want to announce their permanent or temporary departure from the Forums so that people don't mistake the reason for their departure, a "Hey, I'm not dead yet but I can't come out any play for a while" thread. All of these various announcements about a change in member status really ought to be collected in one sub-forum.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I think these are great ideas. I had a personal experience with a member I had communicated with and had to do some sleuthing to find that he had passed away

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Suggestions: For known passings, a thread "In Memoriam"
For other life events, or questions about member statuses: Passages

These could be the first recourse for member news about themselves.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Passages - Attention Moderators/Andy

Regrettably we cannot allow a request of this nature as it may lead to posts of another's personal life that they may not want to have shared publicly.

If a member wishes to share his or her personal/life event they can do so on their on accord in the Off Topic forum.

The Site Team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread