Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Brattleboro , Vermont
parting with my 1965 Silver Streak Sabre

Hello knowledgable vintage trailer fans. I bought an 18 ft. 1965 Silver Streak Sabre for $2,500. in 2009 with the intention of fixing it up. I cut out part of the floor that was soft and my husband cut out a plywood patch. We removed the gaucho bed and the dinette area and that's as far as we got. We have since moved from Ohio to Vermont and the trailer is still in Ohio. We are hesitant to pull it out here with our 2013 Subaru Outback and so I have reluctantly decided to part with it. I'm not sure what a fair price for it is. It has the original wood cabinets, lighting fixtures (gas and electric), white sink, white stove with a red Bakelite knob, and white countertop. The back end is half closet and half small bathroom with a toilet and shower. It has had electrical wiring work done but needs a water tank and plumbing to the sink. It has so much potential but I think it is beyond me. The exterior is very good and it has the exterior trunk, although the lid came off the hinges. The step up into the trailer needs to be fixed. I'm trying to post 15 photos but my IPAD seems to only let me post one at a time... I would like to get some ideas about a fair price to ask for it. Thanks
sueburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Sad to hear that you are parting with it. Good luck finding a buyer! I hope someone can get it and restore it.

As an option, have you considered renting or borrowing a pickup to go get the trailer?
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I suggest you try the Airstream Classifieds associated with these Air Forums. There you can post pictures of your aluminum "vintage kin".

And there are just a lot of trailers old in e-bay. That is where I found my 66 Trade Wind.

You will have to search for some ads of similar trailers in similar condition to determine an asking price. The trailer may have gone down in value over the last few years due to tire rot, lack of use, etc. If you can demonstrate it is "tow ready" with tires, brakes, bearings, lights, etc. that helps value. If you can demonstrate the frame is solid and not rusted weak that helps value. And if the body, windows, doors are in good shape, that helps value. There are Silver Streak fans out there.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
Brattleboro , Vermont
Thanks for your message. The problem is that there are no other similar trailers out there. I saw one with a good exterior that had been gutted with a fake wood floor installed and nothing in it for sale for $8,800. No idea whether it sold or for what price... This one is all original. There is some rust but I've been told by a couple of people at rallies that the frames are so substantial on the Silver Streak that that's not a problem.
sueburt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags