Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
Papagord's Intro - New Converter Hookup

Hello everyone.....hope you have a great camping season!
This will be our fourth season with our 1974 Airstream. We haven't been out of the country yet with it, but that may happen some day.

Last year we replaced a toilet whose valve froze....poor job of blowing out the lines.....a problem many in the south would not know about. The airstream part was expensive as another brand's whole we opted for a toilet with a valve that was easy to replace.

We've had a leak when the awning was rolled up. Our dealer tried unsuccessfully to fix it.....didn't try hard enough. We took the awning off and found a couple of holes from a previous bracket of some sort. They were not sealed properly so we did the job and after the last couple of heavy rains we have no leak....bone dry!

We also needed a new converter/battery charger. I bought one from RV Parts in Oregon (not an airstream part...much cheaper) about half the price of what they are in Canada. I'm now installing it. So far so good......but I have a concern about getting the right ground wires hooked up. There are two white wires coming out of the circles back and is attaced to the wall with a small screw. The other was attached to the previous converter and there is a lug on the frame of the new one and I assume it goes there. The new converter wiring schematic also suggest grounding the negative side of the DC output to the chasis with a different wire than the one on the frame. Please tell me if I'm wrong. These wires have nothing to do with AC as I have it hooked up already to an outlet I installed (needed one as the new converter was equiped with plus in cord....handy for disconnecting easily).

It would be most helpful if I could find a wiring schematic for it somewhere. I still have all the DC wiring to hook up to a distribution panel.
But my main concern is getting it properly grounded. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

papagord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Hi Papagord
I will have a look in the next few days to see if I have a wiring diagram. I have a 74 International Ambassador and it may be the same thing. I will scan it and send a copy to you.

74 Airstream Ambassador International
94 Burb Ontario plate "TIN HUT"
02 Jetta TDI
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Midhurst , Ontario
Converter Progress

Thanks Sarge, I may still need it. I managed to hook up 4 DC circuits tonight and once I grounded the system to the chasis all worked very well.....however, I still have 6 loose wires that I need to do something with. I still cannot get the lights to work from just the battery even tho it is hooked up the same positive bus as the converter. Maybe some of these 6 loose wires have something to do with it.

papagord is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello ! | Top | Slideout »