Old 05-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
"Out with the Starcraft, in with the Airstream"

I've been camping since I was at least 7 years old. My dad always had a Starcraft tent trailer and growing up I thought they were quite amazing.
As I started to have my own family and was tent camping (which is really uncomfortable) I realized it was time to get a trailer.
My first thought was an Airstream. I had seen them before and as an engineer, I could recognize there amazing quality. I also recognized there amazing sticker price and hence decided, "Well, I guess I'll get a tent trailer." (bad decision to go against one owns integrity) Nothing against the tent trailer. As far as I could tell the Starcraft still make a fine trailer.
Anyway, to cut my story short I sold the tent trailer to a friend 2 days ago and put my deposit on my 2005 22ft Safari.
I felt I got a pretty decent deal being there last '05 and all. I love the size for my family (for now) and the trailer is beautiful.

Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Welcome to the forum and Airstreaming. Even though they are expensive, just imagine passing this trailer on to your children when they carry on the camping tradition.

I also grew up tent camping and remember those weekends and two weeks each summer as some of the best times of my childhood.

We got our Airstream when our kids were still very young (all under seven at the time) and now they don't even understand tent camping. My six year old asked me once when we hiked past the tent section in a State Park, "Daddy, why don't those people have an Airstream?" I didn't know how to answer her so as I frantically searched the recesses of my brain for the perfect parental response she said "We're lucky, we have an Airstream".

Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Good move

We went from a '98 Coleman Bayside pop-up to our 34' Limited. So much more room, and so much less work to do when you get to the campground, now! You're going to love it!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While we love our Airstream, my wife was commenting on our feelings as we moved up the line from our original camping unit (a 66' VW bus, not a camper bus) to the current trailer. During those years late 70's early 80's we had gone through a couple of Coleman pop ups, which by most standards were probably the premiere pop up trailer of its era. But that transisiton from the pop up to our first travel trailer, a 21' '82 Hi-Lo had to be the biggest thrill. For the first time to have real holding tanks, a full bathroom, water heater, air conditioning, a water pump, a full stove, and insulated hard walls. There probably isn't a better experience. Killo1, it will be a fun experience for you and your family. Congratulations!

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Congrats on your purchase - you won't regret it. I was a hard core tent camper - the backpacking kind. But cooking dinner on a svea in a state park is just dumb! Camping for me these days is about spending recreational time with my family and friends, enjoying the area and genrally relaxing. We still "rough it" by Airstream standards - no microwave or TV and the tiniest bathroom on the planet - but at least I don't have to get dresed, put my shoes on and brave the elements at 4 am to use it.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote