Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #1

1979 31' Sovereign
Joshua Tree , California
Out of my head- In over it!

Greetings, all! And huge thanks to whomever started this site! Seriously.

I've always loved the Airstreams, but now that I'm in charge of a full-on remodel, I'm daunted. Also a bit sickened, as my job was to take a fully functional, intact, and clean '78 Sovereign and completely gut it, which I did...

The rest of my job now entails installing birch (or oak) paneling, new floor, custom built-in furniture, a new A/C unit, and window restoration all around (the tinting between the panes has shredded- and what's that stuff that looks like red sand in there?). Laid out in one sentence like that, it doesn't look like a big job at all, but I'm sure anyone who has taken their tools to one of these vessels can appreciate my anxiety as I look at this barren hull and wonder what to do next.

Thanks in advance for your advice and answers- I'm so glad you're here! Hopefully I'll soon be able to disseminate knowledge- I think that once I finish I'll either be hooked on Airstream customization or I'll vow to never ever touch one again.

Also, I have lots of good parts if you have a similar project, so let me know if you need a furnace, toilet, tambour doors, extruded aluminum bits, etc.

Best,
Guy
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Out of my head

Aloha from Yellowstone
I will be in Yucca Valley later this year, mybe we can get together.
I did the same thing too my 73 Non-Airstream. You might wan't too hang on too the old interior for patterns. Also the new cabinet should be flexable not glued, stapled & nailed as they move when trailer moves.
Good luck.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Greetings, all! And huge thanks to whomever started this site! Seriously.

I've always loved the Airstreams, but now that I'm in charge of a full-on remodel, I'm daunted. Also a bit sickened, as my job was to take a fully functional, intact, and clean '78 Sovereign and completely gut it, which I did...

The rest of my job now entails installing birch (or oak) paneling, new floor, custom built-in furniture, a new A/C unit, and window restoration all around (the tinting between the panes has shredded- and what's that stuff that looks like red sand in there?). Laid out in one sentence like that, it doesn't look like a big job at all, but I'm sure anyone who has taken their tools to one of these vessels can appreciate my anxiety as I look at this barren hull and wonder what to do next.

Thanks in advance for your advice and answers- I'm so glad you're here! Hopefully I'll soon be able to disseminate knowledge- I think that once I finish I'll either be hooked on Airstream customization or I'll vow to never ever touch one again.

Also, I have lots of good parts if you have a similar project, so let me know if you need a furnace, toilet, tambour doors, extruded aluminum bits, etc.

Best,
Guy
Welcome,
Most of us have been there, done that. When you feel overwhelmed with the amount of tasks, it's better to prioritize them and tackle them one at a time.

Good luck. One other bit of advice, don't throw away the items you gutted from your trailer. There will be plenty of people here on this forum who would love to have some of those items, like me.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Guy. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation Well you have a rather nasty case of.......

Aluminitus! You have been infected and there is no hope of a cure! Now that you know I'm guessing you feel a bit better! The key is on bite at a time. Since you have already gutted the trailer the next step is to check the entire floor for rot especially around the edges where the body meets it! Then remove the belly pan and check the frame for condition/rust and fix any bent or broken frame members. while gutted you may want to check/replace axles and have them or replacement ones aligned and the tires balanced and aligned too! Check out all your plumbing and gas lines, and the black/grey water systems too while you have the interior out. That is for starters! Get busy and we all want to see pictures of before and after. Hope you enjoy the disease! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Oh, it's That Guy

Welcome, this is a great place. Wow! Gutted it, well, onward and upward, eyes on the prize, foreward into the breach, and my favorite " What could possibly go wrong!" LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Guy,

Welcome to our online asylum. It’s where they virtually put you when you have Aluminitus. Ok, we commit ourselves here.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #8

1979 31' Sovereign
Joshua Tree , California
Not as such...

It all sounds like good advice, but I need to clarify a few things...

Frst, this is NOT my Airstream, nor do I expect or particularly want to ever meet the client(s). They're famous. I'm just an artist/designer/fabricator hired by their personal assistant via their local caretakers. I"m more interested in doing right by the vessel, but I think I can satisfy everyone here.

This rig has lived in Los Angeles its entire life, mostly on movie lots, barely used. Sun damage is the mostv apparent defect, but it's superficial...
Aside from rust on the steel bolts that bind the hull to the subfloor and frame, there is no evidence of water damage, though I have yet to get under it and see about replacing them (vs just cleaning and tightening). I know, it'll never be easier to do it right... I really don''t want to pull the belly pan, though.

But chances are good that this unit will only ever move two or three more times. It's been in its' family since initial purchase, and I doubt it'll be moved far from here, since it's being repurposed as a guest room without amenities... Gas, plumbing, tanks; all of that has been abandoned- tragic, I know, but that's what they wanted, and I told them that disconnecting systems would be irreversible, and they were OK, but that could change...

As for axles and such, I'm not a mechanic. I have been, but I don't miss it, and I'm fine with having pro's do those jobs now- The difference betwen the shop rate and mine easily comes out in frustration I no longer have to suffer.

As for pictures, most of my computer-y gear dates back to Clinton's first term, so they're going to be awhile in coming- but I am taking them.

True thanks for your support- I'll keep you posted!
Regards,
Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Aluminitus! You have been infected and there is no hope of a cure! Now that you know I'm guessing you feel a bit better! The key is on bite at a time. Since you have already gutted the trailer the next step is to check the entire floor for rot especially around the edges where the body meets it! Then remove the belly pan and check the frame for condition/rust and fix any bent or broken frame members. while gutted you may want to check/replace axles and have them or replacement ones aligned and the tires balanced and aligned too! Check out all your plumbing and gas lines, and the black/grey water systems too while you have the interior out. That is for starters! Get busy and we all want to see pictures of before and after. Hope you enjoy the disease! Happy Trails, Ed
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote