Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #1

2000 28' Excella
La Grange , California
Our New Member Introduction

My name is John Turner of La Grange, CA. We've been a WBCCI member since 1999, we currently own a 28-ft Excella, which we just love. Our first Airstream was a 1998 25-ft. Safari, which was traded in for the Excella. Both were purchased at Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA.
My wife, Sandra, and I have been on three WBCCI caravans, the Polar Bear, Yellowhead, and Southwest. We are currently on a waiting list for the Baja California Adventure.
Our six 64-watt solar panels and four batteries allow us to boondock and we usually avoid camping with hookups. I would consider the best camping to be with some friends in a quiet (no generators) locale away from populated areas. Our main hobby is birding, and we have traveled some distances to fulfill that interest. We've birded the entire Texas coast, much of Arizona, New Mexico and California. That said, we would like to meet or discuss birding with others with an interest in birding. I would say our experience in birding is not "advanced" and we're always learning. We are members of the Central Sierra Audubon Society of Sonora, CA.
JohnTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Birding in Arkansas

Hi John,

While I am not a true birder, the big news in Arkansas is a sighting/hearing of the “extinct” Ivory Billed Woodpecker. You can now get Ivory Billed tags here. They were large birds almost the size of chickens

When I was in high school in the late 60s, Arkansas benefited from harsh winters in the north. We had flocks of evening grosbeaks visiting twice. As far as we know, this was the only time grosbeaks came this far south. We were buying so much sunflower seed that we started buying 100 lb bags and having as much as 1500 lbs drop shipped at our garage to redistribute to others in my home town, Paris, Arkansas.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

2000 28' Excella
La Grange , California
We have Pileated Woodpeckers here in the mountains east of where we live, and they are quite similiar in appearance. We have black-headed grosbeaks here at our home and evening grosbeaks are seen only about 15 miles from here. We are at 1050 ft. elevation in the Sierra Nevada foothills and only 40 miles from Yosemite. So the elevation to the east goes up very quickly.
--John, La Grange, CA
JohnTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
welcome to the forums!

can you tell me more about your 64watt panels? what are the dimensions of those? are the mounted on the roof?

lastly, what type batteries do you have?

i'm in the process of a restoration and have toyed with the idea of putting in solar.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote