Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Our first travel trailer is an Airstream...

... so it will also probably be our only one! We just purchased an unused "used" 2013 23D and we couldn't be happier!

After living aboard a small quality sailing yacht for most of 3 decades, it was only an Airstream that provided the luxury and quality for make us feel at home for our land-yacht cruising during the sailing "off season".

The forums have already been a wealth of valuable information for us, especially regarding towing, TVs, hitches, brake controllers, etc. As well as information regarding solar installations.

We are so very pleased to be a part of it all.
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome! You've apparently figured out the search function here.. That is good.. There are a lot of sailors who enjoy Airstreams, as there are a lot of pilots and plane owners who also admire solid riveted aluminum.. Moving home to different parts of the country at highway speeds is a special luxury a lot of people miss out on, but you sound like you are ready.. Enjoy your new toy/home/land yacht...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Welcome. As a sailor who recently went over the to dark side (now own a small trawler), I believe you will find many similarities to cruising with your AS as you did with your boat. At least, for my wife and I, that has been the case. One of the nicest parts about the RV is that provisioning is much easier, no need for the meticulous planning required when sailing since grocery are passed on the road every day. Also, lot less need to carry spare parts other than fuses, light bulbs and such.

Be sure to check out Facebook, both the Airstream Adventures and the WBCCI pages, lots of nice people and links to some very good blogs.

Once again, welcome.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome and congrats on the rig.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Road sailing..... AirStreamin'. Kewl.

Welcome aboard!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, we know where your coming from.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Well... as it turns out we are both pilots and the owner of a conventionally (semi-monocoque) constructed aircraft (upon which I have bucked rivets for 40 hours). So, in many ways we are already feeling at home with this new vessel. Thank you all for the warm welcome. ~Cars
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Sounds like you may be members of Van's Air Force.. Cherry or Olympic rivets used in Airstream repairs much easier than bucking rivets.. <NOT a typo..> As owner of vintage Comanche I have just become used to occasionally having to fix things...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
It's as if you have been in training for years to live in an Airstream. I have friends who have lived in a sailboat for decades and I marvel at how adjusted they have become to living efficiently in a small space. And I have other friends who have recently downsized from 4,500sf to 1,500sf and they are really struggling.

Poppy
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I find living in the trailer very refreshing. I have a big house, big yard, etc., but having taken a solid 4 weeks in my trailer I soon found how it suits me. Efficient, clean, and simple. It makes going home a pleasure, and then I begin the process of deciding where I'll go next in my totally self contained aluminum sanctuary.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Warmrain.....welcome. Fellow islander and sailor here. We debated on a 23 D but chose a FC 19. Our first land yacht and a chance to roll around and see different harbors. Enjoy and here's to short ferry lines.
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Warmrain,
We too are sailors who joined the Airstream lifestyle in order to .."cruise off season". We could not be happier! We chose to go the route of the Serenity 16' though. You will be amazed at both the similarities and the differences.
Have fun with your new yacht!
Bruce
...just making the transition from Esmeralde to our Bambi now for the "off season"
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Cessna Cardinal 177B: I replaced a lower firewall from a previous owners wheel-barrow imitation. We travel on business up and down the west coast in the best first-class seats (they have forward facing windows).

1986 Hans Christian 33: We've been living aboard between San Diego and Friday Harbor for 26 years.

Yes, living comfortably in a small space requires some effort, and doing that with your spouse requires some developed emotional harmony (e.g. mostly respect for the other's "space"). However we'd never chose to change the arrangement. Thoreau said that we go through life dragging out furniture around behind us, that definitely doesn't apply now!

We made the decision: No storage space! So our life is simpler.

Our living area is about 10' x 23' on the yacht and about 8' x 20' in the Airstream (best as I can guess). The boat swallows up a lot more "stores" as weight is not an issue (she displaces 24,000 #).

With the Airstream we get the heat pump and forced air heat, a diesel furnace keeps the boat toasty. Otherwise it is much the same in terms of comfort level and we view the airstream as just another yacht (or more accurately a house barge).

We looked at everything from 16' and up, and especially liked the 16, 19, 23D and 25 FB. The decision ended up between the 19 and 23D and in the end we were seduced by the extra windows. On a seaworthy sailing yacht you don't get many places to look out, and since the airstream is going to be the winter home, we desired that.

One last thing, like the water-borne yacht, we added a full sign wave inverter and solar array. As this has made an incredible difference for us. The same 150 watts on the boat powers the refrigerator/freezer and water maker (the later of which I'd love to have on the airstream ).

Thank you all for your warm welcome, I've already learned so much.

~Cars
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
I was sales manager at Cessna dealer in Palo Alto in '77, and used to love flights and demo's in Cardinals.. Great airplane, and glad you were able to bring that one back to airworthiness. Sounds like you have terrific life plan, and are enjoying yourselves perhaps a bit too much...

Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Welcome to AS from an old sailor. Island Packet 31, Fuji 37, Tayana 37 and now the Flying Cloud 25. I'm sure you will find great cruising grounds.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I love the spillover between sailing and Airstreams! When people ask us how we live with such a small "wet bath" I just tell them that this is bigger than a couple of the boats we have owned....! That is slightly exaggerated but not by much. Bianca 27, Able Whistler 32 and a Sabre 386. Only the Sabre has a much larger head and anyone who has braced themselves to prevent being thrown off a toilet at sea will understand the fondness for a tight space in a boat bathroom/head.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
As a sailor, one of the things I like about the Airstream is that it doesn't try to be something it is not. Just like a well designed boat that instantly turns heads and nods of appreciation, so does an Airstream. Because of its sleek aeronautic design, even the untrained eye senses that it is meant to travel over the road in a efficient manner. The interior design is both functional and comfortable.

Unlike many mega-5th wheels and motor-homes, the interior design does not try to deceive the occupants that they are in an opulent mansion complete with fireplace and even chandelier. When I am on a boat or in my trailer, I want to experience and enjoy if for what it is.

I enjoy being required to think about how much stuff I can take along or how much energy and water I consume, and how much trash I produce. This exercise helps me carry that thinking with me when I return "home".

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

https://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote