Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
2020 Flying Cloud 27FBT

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Howell , MI
Our first travel trailer

Bruce & Linda here. We are about 1 month away from owning our first travel trailer, but we are experienced RVers. We have owned two motorhomes since 2005, and still have the 2nd one (which we plan to keep), but wanted something smaller that would give use more travel/parking options, including trips to Alaska and Atlantic Canada. We are members of both FMCA and The Escapees RV Club. We are taking delivery of a 2020 Flying Cloud 27FB(Twin) in early November and will have a week to 10 days to get it setup before we head to Florida for the winter. We will be pulling it with a 2019 FORD F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew short-bed pickup truck. Our cat will be traveling with us, as she has for many years. We are excited about the Airstream travel trailer, as are our adult children.

BandLAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
No sense in starting with anything but the best!

Enjoy your new Airtream!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Congrats and welcome to the family!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado. Welcome to the Airstream owner's community. You will find many helpful people on these Forums. Just ask a question and surely someone will chime in with a good answer.

Enjoy your winter in Florida. Staying in your Airstream will be a different experience, but one I think you will enjoy. It is very cozy and comfortable.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hi Bruce and Linda, and welcome to our world.
I usually say, "Welcome to the asylum", but I wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag before you actually take delivery.
Interestingly, you have chosen the 2020 version of the 2019 Airstream we purchased in August. This is our eighth travel trailer and our sixth Airstream (You may click on our registry to see the others).
You will be pleased to know this is the best Airstream we have ever owned. This floor plan really suits us, and we think it will suit you.
The Flying Cloud is the entry level, and you may be frustrated with fit and finish. Airstream seems to be pushing these trailers out to the dealers and letting them "clean 'em up and push 'em out the door." A new trailer can be a lot more work than a barely used trailer a year old. So, be delighted in knowing you have picked a good one, and let us be your support group as you deal with any confusing and frustrating "issues" you may encounter. Be comforted in the knowledge that your new trailer will still be on the road when you are in a nursing home.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandLAir View Post
Bruce & Linda here. We are about 1 month away from owning our first travel trailer, but we are experienced RVers. We have owned two motorhomes since 2005, and still have the 2nd one (which we plan to keep), but wanted something smaller that would give use more travel/parking options, including trips to Alaska and Atlantic Canada. We are members of both FMCA and The Escapees RV Club. We are taking delivery of a 2020 Flying Cloud 27FB(Twin) in early November and will have a week to 10 days to get it setup before we head to Florida for the winter. We will be pulling it with a 2019 FORD F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew short-bed pickup truck. Our cat will be traveling with us, as she has for many years. We are excited about the Airstream travel trailer, as are our adult children.
Welcome to the AirForums!
Old 10-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
New Airstreamers

Welcome to the community.
The FC is a great trailer. Maybe you already have this stuff but I will list some in case you don’t.
1. Anderson levelers. They work great. 2. Tire pressure monitors. These I feel are a must have item.
3. A 90 degree brass connector to connect your water hose to the city water inlet. Helps relieve some strain on the city water/ pressure limiter connection. Lowe’s have these.
4. I love the “LevelMatePRO “. Makes leveling your Airstream easier. 5. Battery disconnect switch. Easily installs on one terminal. 15 minute job and let’s you completely disconnect the batteries if you need to.
I typically turn my batteries off after they have been charged a day on shore power. I feel this protects the batteries from being overcharged.
Remember that when backing up put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Looking in the mirror move the wheel with that hand to move the rear the trailer the direction you want it to go. Also never back up without someone spotting for you. My wife and I always use our cell phones to communicate with each other when backing.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your Airstream.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

Best thing to do is to head out and camp in the "new toy" as soon as you get the keys. Have a deal with the dealer that they will fix whatever you find after that (likely a day or two) outing. You may not find anything at all. You also might find that something strange needs to be fixed before you go on the road to Florida.

Some dealers will let you "camp out" in their lot the first night. They then will do the fix-ups that next day. If yours has the option to do so, take them up on it. If nothing else, you will have a bunch of questions the next morning. Much easier to get them answered when you can point to this or that and ask about it.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Welcome ! Sounds like the beginning of a long relationship with the coolest thing on the road!
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Welcome! I made a similar leap from high quality pop up to Airstream as first TT. Had pop up for 25 years before AS purchase. Did not regret it.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote