Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
I am just as happy with my Equal-i-zer as you are with your Hensley; Did you ever own an Equal-i-zer? )
hi bob, no i haven't and you will find i make no negative comments regarding the equalizer either....

that is the point...

i didn't suggest ignoring comments on other hitches by those who have used whatever it is they use.

but opinions on the haha from folks who have zero minutes using one...

well it's like asking a man how it feels to deliver a baby with or without an epidural

i've deliverd hundreds both ways,
and still can't tell anyone how it feels from moms view.....
can you?

and to use your analogy....
if you haven't tasted chocolate, how can you know vanilla is just as good?
which is not the same as suggesting you aren't happy with vanilla...
i'm sure many folks are happy with vanilla...
but they may not have tasted macadamia nut mocca caramel fudge either...
so i'd wanna ask someone who has...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi bob, no i haven't and you wil find i make no negative comments regarding the equalizer either....

that is the point...

i didn't suggest ignoring comments on other hitches by those who have used whatever it is they use.

but opinions on the haha from folks who have zero minutes using one...

well it's like asking a man how it feels to deilver a baby with or without an epidural

i've deliverd hundreds both ways,
and still can't tell anyone how it feels from moms view.....
can you?

and to use your analogy....
if you haven't tasted chocolate, who can you know vanilla is just as good?
which isn't not the same as suggesting you aren't happy with vanilla...
i'm sure many folks are happy with vanilla...
but they may not have tasted macadamia nut mocca caramel fudge either...
so i'd wanna ask someone who has...

cheers
2air'
Hi, 2air. First off thank you for being so honest on the hitch subject. [Eq. / Ha Ha ]
Did you mean how does it feel for a man to deliver a Baby? Or did you mean how would it feel for a man to actually have a baby? Just the thought of haveing a baby gives me more pain than I can take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the Ice Cream; I meant there are many choices, because people have different tastes. One choice can't work for everyone.

Bob

Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 AM   #17
_

. , .
well bob i actually prefer strawberry or pistachio....

yea i meant how does it feel to be the one giving birth...
you get the point...
ask someone who has been there...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
It seems to me that apart from the simple task of linking the trailer to the TV, weight distribution hitches must serve a few other purposes. They must be relatively easy to hook up, to unhook, and to remove. They must prevent sway or rocking that would endanger stability of the trailer/TV combination. They must allow for backing and attachment even at extreme angles. They must be relatively simple and solid in construction to minimize wear and routine maintenance. They must not add excessive weight to the rig for the jobs that must be performed. They must do all these things at a reasonable cost.

It was and is my considered opinion that for the mid-range size of AS, the Equal-i-zer suits the bill and that there is no compelling reason to spend more money for some alternative. Ockham's razor is another principle that might be applied to the selection of hitches. It is reasonable to be parsimonious, economical, and simple in the choice of a suitable hitch.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
I had an Equal-i-zer that I sold out of frustration because the L brackets kept loosening and one even fell off leaving the WD bar swinging around. I tried everything but welding the brackets on to fix the problem to no avail. The hitch was attached to a 1998 28 Excella pulled by a Dodge Diesel. I bought the Reese HP Dual cam to replace it and that worked fine.

We now have a 2006 34 Classic and we opted for the Hensley. It works exactly as advertised. Along with the 6 disc brakes on the trailer, the unit tows and stops like it isn't there.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
Congratulations on your impending arrival.

About the Hensley, it really depends upon your trailer and your choice of a tow vehicle. If you are towing with a relatively short wheel base SUV (Tahoe/Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, Tourag....) then you may want to consider a Hensley. If you are towing with a truck or larger SUV (Suburban, Expedition) then it may not really do much for you.

We considered one, but opted not to buy one. We have had our trailer for a year and half and do not regret the purchase of our Equal-i-zer hitch. Then again, we tow a 28' Airstream with a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup.
This has been my experience with a 25 Safari SS. My current TV is a 2001 SCREW I do have WD. I purchased a dual cam setup to add to the trailer and have not done so yet as I have not felt the compelling need to do so in 2500 miles of pulling so far. No sway. The Henslely is a great hitch and is the best but In my case it is not necessary. I stay well with in the speed limits and practice caution at all times.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
2air---You make a point I had not concidered. I have never owned one but did always concider them to be top of the line, seen the vidio, read the literature, talked to owners. In the past I have said that I felt they were unnecessary when towing a smaller trailer or with a heavy tow vehicle to trailer ratio. I STAND CORRECTED!!!! I do not know that from experience but assumed it to be so. I probably came to that conclusion because most I've seen have been on larger heavier trailers. Like I say, I ASSUMED such. I'll not mention the brand I purchased as it's not the subject of this thread. If asked how mine performs I can tell you, but in all honesty I can't tell you how it compares to yours or anyone elses I,ve never used.---pieman
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
really price is more of an issue for non owners...i wonder why?
'cuz we can't afford 'em??

Quote:
so i guess all mac owners suffer from that syndrome too?
yeah, pretty much. But the mac doesn't cost "that" much more than others.

Quote:
...no sway, no wind, no push, no white knuckle driving....
me neither. that's the whole point.

Quote:
...so like many mac users 'held hostage'....but being more productive?
They aren't. any time saved is typically eaten up by the hoops through which they have to jump in order to collaborate with the rest of the world. But thats another subject for another thread...

If a mac is like a Ha-Ha...does it only work on 5% of the roads? (yeah, I know...and if it were a pc, you'd have to keep stoping and rolling the windows down and back up, for no apparent reason...).
"Fine, I'll take one", said the long-haul trucker, who spends 99.9% of his time on such roads...
Lots of things can affect one's perspective.
I recently toured some shiny new Airstream trailers. I took a glance at the price tag on one of them...it was not the most expensive Airstream, either. But anyway, after I regained consciousness, I thought, "gosh, thats expensive". Someone else might think its a bargain. And for that person, with a new ~$50k tug to pull their ~$80k, the "ha-ha" is a "sure, throw one of them in, wouldja?" item. For me? not so much...

As for my opinion not being valid because I don't own one...well, I disagree. (surprise! ). You don't buy a ha-ha to get something...you buy it to get RID of something. (sway, push, "white knuckle driving"). I already have none of those things, and I didn't have to pay 3g to get there. can't get less than "0".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
You don't buy a ha-ha to get something...you buy it to get RID of something. (sway, push, "white knuckle driving"). I already have none of those things, and I didn't have to pay 3g to get there. can't get less than "0".
Absolutely terrific and persuasive argument. Thanks for the insight!!!

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Look at the Equal-i-zer for your rig. Your tow vehicle and tailer are the right set-up to efficiently utilize the Equal-i-zer. I have used this hitch and pulled my A/S for over 5000 miles already this year with out so much as a wobble. No sway in passing or being passed by semi's at speed on the interstate or on two lane back roads. It's easy to hitch and un-hitch. Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #25
_

. , .
well mike

drifting further afield in hopes of an anchor?

from hostage syndromes to a theory on theroies?

the razor is a principle for dealing with competing theories...
so IF the discussion was sway/yaw and how to reduce it...
or explain the ideal hitch...
or explain antisway
or explain how a haha works
or explain why there is such an anti haha view from those that have never used one...

the razor might apply.

but this isn't a thread on theory...
and the razor doesn't address experience....
emprical, practical, actual or any other sort...

the only way the razor can be twisted to apply is...
if shopping for a specific brand product...
1. seek opinions from those that have used it....
2. seek opinions from those that haven't....

pick one?

now this is much different than...
'if shopping for a general category of products, and considering all brands..."

see the difference?

the razor concept might be twisted to suggest
'when considering a brand stick to brand owners, current or past'

so thanks for supplying support for my statement...to ignore comment from those that have never owned or used a hensley...IF asking about the hensley...

chuck...no where did i type your opinion isn't valid...
so who are you disagreeing with?

for a given product/brand IF you have never used the specific product/brand....those opinions aren't helpful evaluating the specific product/brand....so my statement stands...

it is too bad folks can't freely and easily sample all brands of hitch....
i've read comments from many who have used an assortment....almost without fai, everyone that tries the haha recalibrates their brains for a new definition of zero...

promoting a brand one has used and comparing it to other brands one has used is useful....

neither of you are doing this...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
chuck...no where did i type your opinion isn't valid...
so who are you disagreeing with?
you said "ignore comments from those who have never owned or used a Hensley". twice. why else would you say that?

Quote:
...for a given product/brand IF you have never used the specific product/brand....those opinions aren't helpful evaluating the specific product/brand....so my statement stands...
but thats not what we're doing. we're trying to achieve a goal of 0 sway, not evaluate a specific product against itself. I've achieved that goal without a Ha-ha. Nobody is "dissing" the ha ha itself; I'm sure its a ~fabulous~ device, and everyone that owns one loves it. Thats fine. We're just saying that you can get "0 sway" for le$$, using a similar trailer/tv combination. I don't own a Saturn-V rocket, but I'm pretty confident in saying that I don't need that kind of horsepower. I'm not planning any trips to the moon. The old 318 is more than adequate, and a darn site more economical.

Quote:
...everyone that tries the haha recalibrates their brains for a new definition of zero...
So I've got a sway problem...and I just don't know it???? well, ya got me, there. I don't know what to say to that.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhorne
We just purchased a 2007 25' Safari LS SE with the bunk bed option. We are interested in the Hensley Hitch. Any thoughts on this type of hitch?

Beth
Wow this is starting to sound like a diesel -vs- gas thread .. So back to Beth's question.... First congrats on your new purchase Beth... pictures needed when she arrives, I'd like to see that bunk option. Second... I don't own a Hensley I gave it some serious consideration... for whatever it is worth, I believe it is an outstanding product...but again I can’t offer a qualified opinion. I noticed you have not asked anyone for opinion or thoughts on other brands are you considering other hitch systems? If yes, I'll can share my opinion on the Equal-i-zer brand. Best of luck
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
One reason some of us have commented on non-Hensley hitches is that the question was asked about "this type of hitch." I interpret this to mean weight-distribution hitches with anti-sway, anti-roll features. Seems reasonable to consider various alternatives if the desire is to eliminate sway or roll or other unsafe dynamic conditions while towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhorne
We just purchased a 2007 25' Safari LS SE with the bunk bed option. We are interested in the Hensley Hitch. Any thoughts on this type of hitch?

Beth

BMW X3 xDrive 28D