Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
1969 18' Caravel
Galena , Illinois
Ooooo Noooo

I have a 1969 Carevel that I purchased 3 years ago with the intentions of remodeling it to my wishes. Right! Well I started that remodeling prodject a few months ago and I'm still at it. Talk about opening up a can of worms,it just doesn't stop,so it seems. I'm at the point of no return do I fix that rotted floor the right way,or do a hack job like the previous owner. I wish I didn't care that much the answer would be much less work and money. This forum is full of great info,thanks folks.

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Blinky and Welcome to the forums. I cant tell you how to fix the floor but there are a lot of smart people on here that can. Vintage Airstreams are a lot of work but once it is finished, it is all worth it. Hang in there, there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

John & Tammy Adams
Silver Threads Custom RV Curtains
2000 Airstream Excella | AIR 15902
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Blinky, welcome to the forums!

I did the floor in my caravel (the front 2/3 anyway) and I say do it right. It really wasn't that much more work. You'll have to pull out the furniture and the bottom wall panels, but that's not as awful as it sounds. It was much better to get rid of the mish-mash of patches and work with a solid floor again. I did it over a winter, and I reallllly took my time.

I can't wait to hear more about your project. A 69 is a fairly rare model compared to the 66-68 caravels.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
It's worth it!

Hi and welcome to the Forums! I own a 72 Argosy 20' TT and a 76 Argosy 28' MH. Bought them within a couple of weeks of each other and am currently working on both!!! EEEK! The MH is in great shape on the outside, rough shape on the inside. The TT is in excellent shape on the inside, rough shape on the outside. We are currently redoing the rotten floors in the MH and all I can say is It's worth it. Seeing the new plywood go down, walking on it and having a solid floor beneath your feet, even smelling the new wood (instead of the rotten moldy wood smell) makes all the hard work worth it. It is difficult at first. Learning how the floor goes in and that there are bolts, rivets and small screws attaching it and not forgetting any before you try to pull the old floor out have been some of the biggest challenges. Also, our floor was in such bad shape and had been exposed to so much water/moisture that the bolts and screws were all rusted solid (sprayed them with PB Blaster which helped) and ended up grinding some of them out after we pryed the floor out around them! I agree with you, I wish I didn't care about just patching it. But our floor was just in horrible shape and we wanted to do it right. Glad we did.Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I would recommend you check other posts on the forum specific to TT floor replacement. I am sure the MH and TT are of similar construction but not sure if they are identical. Good luck!
edleeseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Blinky, welcome to the forums! Add another vote for doing it right the first time - it will save you time/frustration in the long run, and you will gain satisfaction both from learning how do to the job correctly, and from knowing that it's complete. Many of us have had to overcome hack jobs done by previous owners - my goal is usually not to be one of those POs that gets ranted about! Good luck - there's lots of info for you here on floor replacement.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama

After totaly redoing...
What do y'all do to prevent from happening again?
Why are so many bad?

I know MH are build different, and my floors are OK, just see this problem allot here.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
1969 18' Caravel
Galena , Illinois
Thanks for your encouragement,I have the same feelings about it. Do it right the first time, that's just how I am though. I have removed everything but the bathroom so far so I'm 1/2 way there. Right? Right?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

There's a significant level of personal satisfaction in doing a job well, even if no one else ever sees it. You know it's there and how it's done. Down the road you may want to move to another model which could entail passing this one on to a new owner. You will also know that they will never judge your work to be less than a quality effort.

Typically the cost to do it one way or the other is not that much different, although this is not always the case.

Have fun with it, hone your skills on this one and who knows, you may want to tackle another one down the road.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation Re: Doing it Right!

Blinky, I agree with the idea of doing it right the first time. That is why mine has been in the driveway for three years! You will not regret it once you are finished! We from the Quad Cities salute your efforts. Hang In There Baby! Happy Trails, Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
welcome AIR U.

Welcome to the greatest invention since the Airstream. Spend a lot of time here, these people know of what they speak. Do it right once, or hack it three or four times. LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
As you tear down and put it back....
Take lots of photos, for your own satisfaction, or if you decide to sell in the future. The new owner will feel better knowing you did a real rebuild and not a hack job.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote