Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
On Cloud 9!

FCloud 9

A new chapter in our life has just begun. We purchased our Flying Cloud 20 FB today!

Thank you to all the Airstream Forum members for sharing your own journeys and expert advice. We have spent months during the extreme northeast winter devouring details of so many experienced streamers. After two trips to dealer, first in February & today - finally pulled the trigger. The adventure is truly a lifetime dream!

"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark".

“Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter.” –John Muir 1888
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Congratulations!! Hope you have as much fun as we are having.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Congratulations! We, too, have a FC 20 and are in the Northeast as well. Hope you love it as much as we do. Maybe we'll see you in a campground up here.
Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We went the dealership just to confirm our decision. We spent what seemed like hours enjoying the FC displayed like we already owned it. Pretended we were already living the dream, took off our shoes and just like Goldielocks tried all the seats, bed, china seat and the two of us trying the kitchen as chef & sous chef! It was just right. Considered making an initial offer as we have received several online quotes for same model & options from other dealers within one day drive from our location. The whole experience was just awesome. When we started discussion about bottom line, learned it was their end of fiscal year. So we have not yet purchased our tow vehicle and dealer is booked for new Airstream pick up sessions through mid-May. Hopefully, we will find our TV soon and book our pick up date. Meanwhile, I'm beaming & pinching myself to be sure it's not a dream.

Anxious to bring her home and spend so quality time boon docking in our backyard!
Please post some pics of your new FC and thank you for the well wishes.
FCloud9
Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Congrats, I have a 2008 20' Safari SE, the model the FC 20 is based from and I love it. It,is perfect for two and can handle 4 on occasions. We are also in the north east and the length is perfect for the smaller sites that are meant for tents, giving us many more possibilities for camping.

Enjoy it.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Hey FCloud9!

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. We took our 20 out last weekend for the first time on our own. Did a shake down last fall, but the dealer towed for us since we didn't have a tow vehicle. Last weekend we towed for the first time. Tows like a dream! We had a great time. I may have mentioned, it's two of us and a dog and the FC 20 is the perfect size just for us. We spent most of the weekend just getting used to things again and relearning everything from the fall. Can't tell you how much we love our 20 (we've named her The Silver Savoy), and we're looking forward to many more trips this summer. Planned out two more in NH and two in Maine so far. Our goal is to get her out a couple times a month during the season and one week-long trip.

Update us on your process. You're going to love it once you get it!! Attaching a picture of us just before we were leaving to head home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2014.Hooked.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	210580  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I've learned that camping is every bit as much about enjoying the airstream as it is enjoying camping! Congrats.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We now have our TV, with our "new to us" VW Tourareg 2011 Sport finally found after many other potentials. Shortly after pulling into our driveway, we scheduled our pick up date of 6/6/14!
In one month, we will have our new 2014 Flying Cloud FB 20' at home & plan to boondock at home as we become acquainted with our new Airstream home.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Congrats on your new Airstream and TV. It is going to be a very long month. I don't think I could wait that long.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hey Dot Dave,
We are in countdown mode with 22 days until pick up...feel like doing the happy dance almost every day. Have dreamed of the lifestyle for nearly 50 years.
How did your shake down weekend meet your expectations or not.
We are trying to plan 8-12 day trip end of summer in Adirondacks region which we traveled to foe 17 yrs. Finding most NYS parks have no electric hook ups, etc.
We want to boondock but hoped for optimal lakeside site to launch the kayak & all the comforts of "home". Did you install solar or generator in your FC?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome! Love the philosophical quotes!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Hey FC9!

It's getting closer! You must be so excited.

Our shakedown was last fall when our dealer towed us to a nearby campground -- it far exceeded our expectations. It solidified our decision for getting an Airstream. Until then, my partner had been on the fence about it, but he fell in love with it the first time. Needless to say, for us it was an awesome weekend. As for the Silver Savoy, we found a few minor issues that our dealer fixed. Our issues were the bathroom fan not coming on every time, a screw that fell out of a cabinet, and a stovetop burner that wouldn't come on. All very minor. I recommend you try using everything on your first trip (and the next few thereafter) to just make sure everything works the way it's supposed to. Our first trip this season worked out great. No problems this time.

We haven't boondocked yet. You sound braver and more adventurous than us. Nor have we installed a generator or solar panels; those might come later when we have more time to really travel. If you decide to install them, let us know how well they work!

Our only long trip this year will be to Mt. Desert Island/Bar Harbor for a week.

So excited for you! Can't wait to hear about your travels.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Shake Down Report

Hi Dot Dave,

Sounds like your first shake down trip really met your expectations and then some! We always try to temper our travel expectations with the knowledge everything may not go as planned be it loose screws, forgotten items, less than optimal weather, travel delays ( be it land, sky or sea) and seem to enjoy the sense of adventure. Your first trip with your new vacation home on wheels seemed a success. Glad there were no major problems & you both were eager to continue planning more adventures. You're going to have a blast in Maine!
Hope all your stove top burners are working & ready to steam some lobster & keep the chowder warm!

Just to clarify, we plan the "boondocking" trial onsite at our home first weekends home. Our FC is factory wired for solar but we want to really get to know our FC & energy needs before deciding on solar panel vs. small generator. We just ordered bed linens & booked first two weekends. First location is where we camped in two man pup tent about 30 years ago (PA State park electric only) & second location near the beach with full hook up. So after boondocking on our property; known campground w. shore power; then full hook up; hopefully we'll be ready for 10-12 days in Adirondacks.

Please update with useful gear tips after your newbie experiences. I love to cook and really looking forward to the great kitchen in FC. Still shopping for nesting pots & grill....camp chairs....does it ever end?

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy planning for your next trip!

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."- John Muir 1938
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Hahaha. No, outfitting and accessorizing never seem to end.

It sounds like you have an awesome plan. Good idea to try the boondocking at home for a few days to figure out capacities and such. It has been trial by error for us because we have to store her about an hour from home. We're learning (eg, gray water tank for us goes about a day and a half unless we are very conservative). Haven't tried to see how long we can go without electric connections yet though.

We timed well with outfitting. We bought in the late fall, so our Christmas gift ideas to give to our families were all items for the AS. Needless to say, we got some good swag. Better than we might have bought ourselves. :-)

We, too, love to cook, so nice kitchen stuff was important. Our cookware is a nesting set from Magma. A stainless steel set that we love. We have Corelle tableware. We got a beautiful stainless steel insulated coffee press, which is a pain to clean. So we bought an inexpensive black & decker coffee maker. We have the Camco mini drying rack that fits perfectly in the sink. We also found a small, footed bamboo cutting board that stays on the counter. Perfect size.

Outside, we bought LL Bean folding chairs, an aluminum table with legs that fold and the top rolls up. For a grill, we are using the Volcano.

Those are just a few ideas. We came across many of them here on Airforums. So many people have some awesome ideas on here.

Looking forward to hearing about some of the stuff you find. Love sharing ideas to make the camping experience more fun!

Camping in Rindge, NH (Woodmore Campground) this weekend. Nice c'ground on Contoocook Lake.

Later!

David
Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=Dot Dave;1456352]Hahaha. No, outfitting and accessorizing never seem to end.

It sounds like you have an awesome plan. Good idea to try the boondocking at home for a few days to figure out capacities and such. It has been trial by error for us because we have to store her about an hour from home. We're learning (eg, gray water tank for us goes about a day and a half unless we are very conservative). Haven't tried to see how long we can go without electric connections yet though....Dave

Well we could of waited until fall to purchase but just saw the other identical FC 20'FB was also sold at Colonial. Actually, I really could not have waited. I cannot believe all we accomplished in only one month. AS purchased 4/19, TV purchased 5/3, driveway extension after 4 30" trees downed, bought wall stone to surround driveway extension. Additionally, after making our very first reservations in three states & 4 parks (3 state parks & 1 Airstream only park)...we are well on our way to "fully equipping our new travel home....2000i generator, LLBean Adirondack chairs, outdoor at should all arrive this weekend. Still deciding on pots & grill and organizers for cabinets to be decided after pick up in just two weeks. Working on checklists, supplies needed for first shake down trips....tool kits....first aid kits....bug repellents ....leveling blocks & chocks....Chef'n ice cream maker, mojoitos & IPAs, chips & homemade salsa, new easy pass, kayak registration in two states....I now why some folks sell their homes & travel full time. So much to learn yet but have great fun.
I'm planning to "practice" those navy showers the week prior to pick up ....kinda Flying Cloud Bootcamp! The forum is really great for meeting folks already 'livin the dream '!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Welcome to the FC 20' world. After many many Airstreams and Argosy's (including motorhomes) I found my Argosy 20 was the perfect size for me. When I decided to buy my first brand new Airstream last May, the 20' was the plan I liked best, and I knew the size was right. I still have the Argosy 20' too. Both are great units.

Come west and visit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi all,
Our site prep will hopefully be completed next week at this time. We are so excited to bring our Airstream Flying Cloud home! If weather is cooperative this weekend, the top layer of antique red stone will finish off our driveway extension. We were pleased our plan laying length of conduit under the tons on crushed stone base allowed successful threading of outside shore power line ready to wire for connecting to keep batteries charged. Will also come in handy for camping "really" close to home.

Only one more week to go....please be sure to offer any favorite tips on stocking, organizing, and prep for first launch. Want to keep to the basics as do not want to overload the storage cabinets.
Have spent way too many hours reading the forum and dozens of fun blogs by full time travelers.
Our pick up next Friday is scheduled early AM. Has anyone been successful trying to video the prep tour for new owners? Trying to understand how we can get the most out of our scheduled 3 hrs.

Thanks,
FCloud9

“The mountains are calling, and I must go.” ― John Muir
Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi all,
Flying Cloud landing strip almost completed for next week homecoming!
Here are some pics of our progress-

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401583518.628227.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401583527.098406.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401583541.845674.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401583556.365505.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1401583569.551404.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  95.8 KB
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Our new Airstream Flying Cloud leaving Colonial Airstream. The whole experience has grown into me, not merely as memory pictures but part of my mind & being. The Airstream adventure is before us & everyday is like a holiday waiting for us to wander!

The entire experience of discovery & deciding which Airstream was a "good fit for us" was a wonderful venture. Everyone at Colonial Airstream including Patrick, Lauren, Dave, Bill, Keith, Brian & Michael exemplify extraordinary client service welcoming us into the Airstream Lifestyle!

More details to come....thank you forum community for sharing all your knowledge & encouragement!

Here is our new Flying Cloud leaving Colonial Airstream...what a happy day!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402346096.643133.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	213915
Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Beautiful! Congratulations.