Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Carharts welcome to the forum. Another thing to consider is what you feel comfortable towing. If you are towing by yourself with two small children, you may want to pull something shorter and lighter. 31' might be a little freaky, not saying that people don't do it comfortably, I'm just saying our 26' is enough when going up or down steep stretches.

Jim & Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One other advantage of NEW

A) it's new, no one elses DNA in the mattresses, etc...
B) you can finance new!

I'm against taking on big debt especially when you have children who need a college fund, but if you have some money set aside to pay for a newer used trailer, you may find that you can get a brand spanking new one for a big down payment and very reasonable monthly charges!

Either way, GO FOR IT.

I went Airstreaming with my Aunt Jean for only a few weeks as a child, and those weeks still stand out in my memory. Get the kids involved - stabilizer jacks are the kids job, so is setting up the outside camping chairs. I watched a child who might have been 3 years old "help" daddy set up the trailer - and the look of pride and joy on her face was too touching for words. Everything is an adventure at that age.... and you'll have more fun learning to see things through your children's eyes.

By all means get a book of birds and another of butterflies and moths - "collecting" where you saw your first of every species, or even finding what to look for on your next trip can be lots of fun, and teaches the kids some basic geography, botany, etc.

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #17
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
New Vs Used

Used, but not vintage in your case.
I have a 2006 and it is just short of junk. I am $1000.00 into repairs and see no end too it. Quality is not a word at Airstream. The following is the only answer Airstream would give me on my problem's with this unit "What do you expect, they are built by humans".
There is a memo from Airstream too it's dealer's too repair the defect's found in my unit by serial #, which starts with my serial# but they have been less than helpful since my unit is already paid for.

Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote