Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Of Mice and Me

Greetings, Forum,

I'm the owner of an even-aging 1974 27 ft. International trailer. My wife and I have had it in a pasture in the foothills of the North Cascades in Washington state since 2001. It's well-sheltered from an annual 4 feet of snowfall by a stout snowroof.

What the trailer has never been sheltered from is mice ! Almost every year, several manage to travel throught the place at will. Neither myself nor a friend who has a 1976 trailer in eastern Washington with a similiar affliction has ever figured out the way the mice get inside. When not occupied, all windows and top vents are closed. The water and wastewater outlets are open, but they are located 18 inches off the ground; too high for a jump entry, or one would think. I don't see any access via the wheel wells, the front step is both retracted and had its gaps fortified with steel wool, but the little guys keep a coming.

Any ideas out there on likely points of ingress, and how to block them ?

John

Old 08-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Welcome to the Forums. You can find lots of information and friends here.

A quick search (accessed from the first darker blue bar at the top of this page) yielded the following thread, where others have asked the same question: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...use-30769.html

Old 08-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Of Mice and Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellana
Greetings, Forum,

What the trailer has never been sheltered from is mice ! .................

Any ideas out there on likely points of ingress, and how to block them ?

John
I like poison. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that I have terminated the life cycle of a creature that could give me hanta virus, cause an electrical fire or fill my unseen spaces with feces and the distinctive aroma of urine.
Buy the type that causes them to vacate the premises, dicoumerol or blood thinner.
Refresh the bait stations, but be aware the little charmers can develop a resistance to your choice of poison, change is good.
Happy mousing, Kit Kat.

R
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Mice

One thing about mice is that they need very little space to get into or out of a trailer. Something about the width of a pencil and they will squeeze in.
First of all, are all the edibles removed? Is all the bedding (for mice) material removed? If they don't have a reason to come in, they will do a tour and take off. Every year I get a few little droppings, but then that's it. I religiously take all foodstuffs, linens, clothing, paper products etc out of the trailer. I put down dryer sheets (Fleecy sheets) in all cupboards and closets and so far I havent had any take up permanent residence.
If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest a Long John Silver. Get a 5 gal bucket, fill it with about 3 inches of water, put a smear of peanut butter around the inside of the bucket about 2-3 inches from the top lip. Put a nice wide board (so they can walk the plank) from the floor to the lip of the bucket. Come back in a week and you will find that you have some little floating carcasses. ( as long as it stays above freezing!) Usually a couple of sessions with this apparatus will clean out the population.
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
one downside to poison

Hi John. Welcome to the forums! Beware of poisoned rats that go "to sleep" in the dark recesses of your trailer, however. The previous owner of our trailer had the same problem and decided to use rat poison to take care of the problem. Those dead rats later became our problem when we bought the trailer and started looking into the unpleasant odor. After a lot of searching, we found mummified rat carcassas curled up inside the back of closets, and behind wires. It's taken us a loooong time to get rid of the smell completely. Here's the thread for some great ideas on how to rid your trailer of vermin without poison.

Enjoy your new silver palace!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if it goes below freezing, you get mICE CUBES!

moth balls in the lower bins might help.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cincinnati , Ohio
I recently asked the same question

John,

We keep our '77 Overlander at a friend's house, but there are woods nearby and I'm always paranoid about finding (more) dead mice in the camper. We bring one of our cats with us when we camp, so I'm not too worried about finding live ones!

Tinhutjohn takes everything out of his camper -- I put all the linens, pillows, etc. in those space bags, compress them and store them. It takes me about an hour to break down the camper every time we camp and I bet Tinhutjohn takes almost as long. And what a pain!

Nonetheless, I got some great advice on how to plug up our new camper (when it gets here...) so I don't have to keep doing the space bag routine. I don't know how to include links in postings, so go to the "On the Road" subforum and look up "A Question about Critters."

I'm ordering aluminum wool and Valtrex (sp?) caulk tonight so it's here when the camper arrives. I feel your pain -- good luck!

Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhutjohn
If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest a Long John Silver. Get a 5 gal bucket, fill it with about 3 inches of water, put a smear of peanut butter around the inside of the bucket about 2-3 inches from the top lip. Put a nice wide board (so they can walk the plank) from the floor to the lip of the bucket. Come back in a week and you will find that you have some little floating carcasses. ( as long as it stays above freezing!) Usually a couple of sessions with this apparatus will clean out the population.
Sarge
I like it!! Don't have a mice problem, but I'll keep this in mind.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote