Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
New Member
 
1968 20' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
odds and ends and a few leaks

we are happy air streamers with our newly purchased 1968 Globetrotter..........and in the midst of a major refurbishing.........the little thing has taken over our every waking moment and we even dream Airstream .............
Right now we are dealing with leaks.......coming in from outside around windows and above through vent..........any hints..........like how do you get up ontop without denting ........not saying there aren't already a few dents..but those are character dents......
for any helps or hints we thank you in advance and are happy in our own little way to be part of a much larger happy clan.....
__________________

__________________
jana milsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
 
MW64OVERLANDER's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 70
Images: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jana milsten
we are happy air streamers with our newly purchased 1968 Globetrotter..........and in the midst of a major refurbishing.........the little thing has taken over our every waking moment and we even dream Airstream .............
Right now we are dealing with leaks.......coming in from outside around windows and above through vent..........any hints..........like how do you get up ontop without denting ........not saying there aren't already a few dents..but those are character dents......
for any helps or hints we thank you in advance and are happy in our own little way to be part of a much larger happy clan.....
Jana,
Airstreamers are an ingenious lot and you will receive many ideas on the best way to work on top of the trailer without doing more damage than you are trying to fix.
One method that I have used with success is the articulated ladder. These can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot in both the three section and four section models. I found the three section type to work the best on my 64 Overlander. You will also have to purchase a device called a wing span. This is a u-shaped device that attaches to the top section of the ladder and has a 50" span and a 12" standoff. Finally I attached a carpet covered 1x6 to the wing span to spread the weight further and to prevent any damage to the skin by the ladder. The first two sections can be locked straight and the third section folded over the top of the trailer. As long as you span two ribs when you place the ladder, you will not damage the skin and have an excellent work platform to work from. I even used this to remove my old air conditioner and install the new one. Just one of many ways to do it. Hope this helps.

Mark
__________________

__________________
Mark Wilson
1964 Overlander/2000 f250 Crew Cab 4X4 PS WBCCI# 5600
MW64OVERLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,278
lLADDER PHOTO?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW64OVERLANDER
Jana,
Airstreamers are an ingenious lot and you will receive many ideas on the best way to work on top of the trailer without doing more damage than you are trying to fix.
One method that I have used with success is the articulated ladder. These can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot in both the three section and four section models. I found the three section type to work the best on my 64 Overlander. You will also have to purchase a device called a wing span. This is a u-shaped device that attaches to the top section of the ladder and has a 50" span and a 12" standoff. Finally I attached a carpet covered 1x6 to the wing span to spread the weight further and to prevent any damage to the skin by the ladder. The first two sections can be locked straight and the third section folded over the top of the trailer. As long as you span two ribs when you place the ladder, you will not damage the skin and have an excellent work platform to work from. I even used this to remove my old air conditioner and install the new one. Just one of many ways to do it. Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark.

Perhaps you have a photo of your roof ladder device?
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Here is a link to a ladder scafolding that another forum member shared with me

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tos-20568.html

Welcome to the forum!
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Frank S
 
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 316
Hi jana milsten--Here is how I get to the top of my A/S to work on it. I pull my 2001 Chevy Suburban with roof rack next to the A/S (close). Then I toss my rubber floor mats on the Chevy roof, along with about a 3-ft square of 1/4" plywood, and tools I will need. Open the rear door, step on the rear floor, grab the roof rack side rail, step up on the rear seat, then step up on the top of the front seat back still holding on to the side rail. I'm now up high enough to pull my self up on the roof (and I'm 70). Once up on the Chevy roof I lay out the floor mats on top to walk on (protect roof, and keep from slipping). I put the plywood on the A/S roof to lean, or sit on, which spreads out my weight enough to keep from damaging the A/S roof. Works for me.--Frank S
__________________
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
MW64OVERLANDER's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 70
Images: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Mark.

Perhaps you have a photo of your roof ladder device?
Lew,
I didn't have a picture of the ladder to post. The next time I use it, I will be sure and take a few pictures and post them on this or another pertinent thread.

Mark
__________________
Mark Wilson
1964 Overlander/2000 f250 Crew Cab 4X4 PS WBCCI# 5600
MW64OVERLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
AYRSTRM2's Avatar
 
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 939
Images: 4
Search the forum on "roofs" "ladders" and "air conditioners". You'll find lots of advice. Short answer is: Don't get on or near the end caps; use a ladder with something keeping it from scratching the skin; you can then stand or scoot on the roof freely and it will support you unless you're Andre the Giant size(540lbs, 7'1" and he has a posse).

We bought an adjustable scaffolding with locking wheels, the commercial style, not the type at Home Depot for something else and it works great for working on the roof and window tops.

John
__________________

__________________
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow Vehicle Question-for a 34 ft, 3 axle Excella dmreilly10000 Tow Vehicles 26 08-02-2011 10:05 PM
repacking the Wheel Bearings Chuck Axles 26 04-27-2003 09:59 PM
Need help with Airstreamforums 101 !!! John Our Community 9 12-07-2002 01:55 PM
And you think you got a deal... BobbyW Our Community 21 06-05-2002 08:54 PM
Survival supplies On the Road FrankR On The Road... 7 04-19-2002 02:54 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.