Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2018, 04:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMair View Post
We picked ours up in May and have used it 3 times so far. Each time we've had to take it back for various "fixes" which I have found is pretty standard for all new RV's, including an AS. We had a shower leak on our first test trip. We had a blown circuit board for the hot water heater, a bad fuse in the refrigerator, and a crimp in the connection for the cable of the back television after our second trip (which was 3 weeks in S. Carolina). After our last trip we noticed the battery was having trouble and after putting it in storage discovered it was completely dead (it's currently at Camper Clinic now). Each time everything was fixed quickly with no charge. These are NOT complaints...just letting you know that you could still have issues. We are extremely happy with ours. This is our first TT. We've had two 5th wheels and two motor homes. Our biggest regret was that we didn't start with what we have now! The quality is so much better and towing it is a breeze. I've spent (way too much) time watching You Tube videos and reading this forum to learn as much as I could about how to set up and care for it. Storage is tricky in those curved cabinets but thanks to lots of tips I am using the space very efficiently. Other than the basic things needed for a trailer we bought a hitch lock. On our future list is a tire pressure monitoring system (we had a blow out in our motor home resulting in expensive repairs). We also want a surge protector. I have a recommendation for a nice quiet RV park that we go to quite a bit. It's Johnson Creek RV park in Ingram (close to Kerrville). Beautiful little park in a pecan grove. I'll be interested to hear how things go for you. Have fun in your new little treasure!

I Fully expected similar experience. These things sit and dont get 'tested' after the factory. Mine has to go back for a stove replacement because it was damaged.

My batteries, I think are both toast. The sticker reads JAN, 18. And I bet they never charged them. So I had it plugged in over night, and the voltage settled back down around 10v again, and thats too low. I killed it just working the jack when I brought it home. Going to charge it again today and see what happens. Though likely they're going to have to replace the batteries. I left it plugged in a good 24 hours, and should have been topped off overnight and then most of the day. Deep cycle batteries are meant to be discharged, but not left dead for 8 months.

I dont expect to have any issues with them replacing the batteries under warranty as the batteries themselves are still covered from interstate.

Our first trip will be Garner SP in Oct. We are looking forward to it. I need to get a different shank for my SUV. I need a good 3 inch drop, and the one that comes with the EZ hitch is only a 1/2 inch drop. It'll handle 5300LB, so the 19" is a perfect fit for it. It's an older Trailblazer. I think I was getting 10MPG on the way home. About what I expect with this big sail on the back!

It was sitting with the trailer tongue up slightly, and thats no go. But it was good enough to get it home from Buda.

I'll make note of your camp spot and look into that for this fall.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #42
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
Rock Guards. Install them. I have a $2200 repair bill first trip. Flying safety cone at 60 MPH does some serious damage.
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartprice View Post
Rock Guards. Install them. I have a $2200 repair bill first trip. Flying safety cone at 60 MPH does some serious damage.

On the trailer or the tow vehicle?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Camarillo , California
I too am a new owner. 2005 23 foot CCD. Not sure where to start as well. But I do like the trial run in the driveway. I'll give that a shot this weekend.
MarkBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
I'll have a look at it. And, for reference, my wife is in her 30s and I'm early 40s. So we don't fit the typical Airstream owner profile.
At 67 and 66 respectively, I'm offended......not really. More like jealous that you are doing this at your ages, versus when we started seven years ago. My must-have/s, which you may already have are the following apps; Rest Stops; Allstays; Texas State Parks; Park Advisor; and Harvest Hosts. Oh, two other items......a VIAIR P88 air compressor, and a torque wrench.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBeck View Post
I too am a new owner. 2005 23 foot CCD. Not sure where to start as well. But I do like the trial run in the driveway. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

If it was not 100F here, we would try it. But its just silly hot here.

Maybe if we get some nights in the lower 70s soon before my OCT trip I will try.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
At 67 and 66 respectively, I'm offended......not really. More like jealous that you are doing this at your ages, versus when we started seven years ago. My must-have/s, which you may already have are the following apps; Rest Stops; Allstays; Texas State Parks; Park Advisor; and Harvest Hosts. Oh, two other items......a VIAIR P88 air compressor, and a torque wrench.

NOTED on all the tools. I am somewhat limited as I am towing with an SUV, so I have to keep mindful of what I put behind the wheels on the tow vehicle. I do have a portable air compressor that I take with me on motorcycle trips that would get the job done in an emergency.

I have duplicates of plenty of tools, but I will definitely bring my torque wrench when I go out on the road. If I have a flat on the RV, I may just rely on roadside assistance vs bringing a jack . But Lug nuts and hitch bolts need checking.

I got the apps noted as well. The Dealer told me about RV PARKY app which works pretty well, Not a lot of fuss and the app shows relevant data vs just POI's all over the place. I've used it to check out a couple state park reviews already. I will check the apps out you mentioned.

I've noticed the RV crowd is getting younger over-all, but I still think we'll be the under-age couple's at most non tourist times when we use the trailer. Though winter down here in TX means the parks are busy with RETIREES FROM NEW YAWK!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Yes to Yeti

Yes to having a Yeti cooler. Useful for starting out to keep your food cold when you are waiting for your fridge to cool down, but also if you have to go a-ways to get fresh food while on the road and you leave your trailer behind at the camp site.

Some remarked that there are cheaper coolers that work just as well. I think if you check where those cheaper coolers are made you'll find they are made in China and have copied the Yeti. Yeti Tundra coolers are made in the US. We have a Tundra 65 and that seems to be a good size. If you can get dry ice it keeps the cooler cold for several days.
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Arlington , Virginia
TPMS. We have a single axle, 2011 20’ FC. In 6 yrs of traveling, we’ve had two blow outs, both of them on the curbside tire and both causing extensive damage to the wheel, the wheel well and the undercarriage. I will not tow again without a tire pressure monitoring system. Peace of mind, if nothing else.
Mtplsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Yes to having a Yeti cooler. Useful for starting out to keep your food cold when you are waiting for your fridge to cool down, but also if you have to go a-ways to get fresh food while on the road and you leave your trailer behind at the camp site.

Some remarked that there are cheaper coolers that work just as well. I think if you check where those cheaper coolers are made you'll find they are made in China and have copied the Yeti. Yeti Tundra coolers are made in the US. We have a Tundra 65 and that seems to be a good size. If you can get dry ice it keeps the cooler cold for several days.

Funny I'm looking at coolers right now. I like the Ozark brand. Says made in USA so we'll see. A lot less money and they get great reviews. I'm not real keen on 300$+ coolers when I have a lot of other things I need first. Like a dump hose!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Here's my rig when I took it home.

As you can see, I need to replace the shank and drop it down an inch to two inches still.

New shank comes in Friday so it should be squared away soon for my return to the dealer for some minor fixes.

I was surprised it did not squat much at all. The trail blazer handles it pretty good, but I could tell the nose was up a bit when driving and it needed the adjustment mentioned above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVAS.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	321145  
Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Cooler Pointers

IMPORTANT !!!

If you decide to bring any dry ice in your cooler, know that as it dissipates (melts) that it expands and emits carbon monoxide.

-don't latch the cooler tight, or it may explode (that would be bad!)
-be aware if you store in a closed vehicle to keep the vehicle ventilated to avoid fumes

#2 The best $10 you can spend is the blue zip soft side cooler bag from Trader Joes (holds a ton and is flat on the bottom. $6, and 2 of those blue ice freezer packs at $2 each.
This is very handy for toting the soft chills like produce, sandwiches, butter, things that you may not want to be in a wet regular cooler.

The blue ice packs can be re-frozen in the rig's freezer, and used for day trips to pack your lunch and snacks.

#3 if you pony up for the fancy coolers like a Yeti, take a good look at the info on their website about pre-chilling the coolers and how to pack for optimal performance. Bring the cooler into your air conditioned kitchen a day before you are leaving.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:07 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Cooler Pointers

IMPORTANT !!!

If you decide to bring any dry ice in your cooler, know that as it dissipates (melts) that it expands and emits carbon monoxide.

-don't latch the cooler tight, or it may explode (that would be bad!)
-be aware if you store in a closed vehicle to keep the vehicle ventilated to avoid fumes

#2 The best $10 you can spend is the blue zip soft side cooler bag from Trader Joes (holds a ton and is flat on the bottom. $6, and 2 of those blue ice freezer packs at $2 each.
This is very handy for toting the soft chills like produce, sandwiches, butter, things that you may not want to be in a wet regular cooler.

The blue ice packs can be re-frozen in the rig's freezer, and used for day trips to pack your lunch and snacks.

#3 if you pony up for the fancy coolers like a Yeti, take a good look at the info on their website about pre-chilling the coolers and how to pack for optimal performance. Bring the cooler into your air conditioned kitchen a day before you are leaving.

You mean carbon dioxide

I like the soft side cooler bag idea. It may work well for us.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Get the ice maker you are thinking about!!! First thing we got 5 years ago and still happy with it.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

In each of the 3 cases when were told at the gate the park was "Full", the Park Hosts found us a slot for the night. They said they hold back one or two in case a power problem at a site requires a move. Whether this is the true reason or not, I don't know, but just suffice it to say the "Full" parks were never more than 50-80% full.

It appears the slots get reserved and so long as they are fully paid the Rangers are happy. But I see a tremendous flaw in a reservation system which results in empty spots going unused and unscheduled campers like us being turned away if not for our great persistence. The same goes for National Parks as well. We stayed in the "Full" Chisos Basin campground at Big Bend on one of our nights due to another courteous Park Host. After hours you just pay by envelope in a night drop, so have some cash on hand.
I ran across this problem last year out east, when first told a first come, first served campground was full...by the camp hosts, whose intent was to turn me around and back out the entrance without even driving thru the campground ...with a little questioning as to whether there was even a tent site I could take, they said there were a couple of sites they “hold back” for latecomers.

They said it was much easier for me to find another site at another campground in the middle of the day than the family with four kids that shows up at 9 at night.

I asked for one of these sites, as this was the campground I had chosen and wanted to be in...and was here... and was given one, but they didn’t really want to.

This was also a self registration, fee campground, tho the camphost came around to “collect” within moments of my getting parked.

This was a federal campground that had been privatized out, and it seems from what I have seen that the privatizing can bring some unwanted elements.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Get the ice maker you are thinking about!!! First thing we got 5 years ago and still happy with it.
Which one do you have? I've seen some pretty bad review's if them dying in a month.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
In San Antonio—Gibson to Bucky’s and check out the Rtic coolers
Jonesuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #58
New 2019 Owner

2019 16' Sport
Clearwater , Florida
No on the trailer! Late model sport 16RBs do not come with rock guards standard. 600 each side. They are easier and cheaper to replace.
stewartprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesuh View Post
In San Antonio—Gibson to Bucky’s and check out the Rtic coolers
Oh you mean that brand is at Buckys?

I've seen the rtic brand. I'm leaning towards the walmart brand. If it works half as good as a Yeti, it will really be all I need. I'm not going to be without power or need a cooler for more than 5 days.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartprice View Post
No on the trailer! Late model sport 16RBs do not come with rock guards standard. 600 each side. They are easier and cheaper to replace.

No what?

I have a 19.