Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Congrats on your purchase. It sure looks great. Nice open floor plan and it sure is light and airy. It is also a good size to tow. We have a 24 ft and a 31 ft and will be selling the 31 ft.

I think you will be happy that you found a trailer since you already have a tow vehicle. They are also much simpler and require less upkeep and maintenance than a mh. But it really comes down to what works for you and what you want.

I have camped in cold weather (10 degrees) and I enjoyed it cuz I like a challenge. I parked my Airstream in a campground in the mountains in West Virginia and used it when I went skiing. I dry camped and did not have water in the system. I cooked a little mostly heating stuff up with the stove or the microwave. I recommend aluminum insulation (Lowes or HD) to cut down on heat loss thru the windows and an electric blanket was essential for me since the camper was cold when I showed up. Make sure your furnace is putting out good heat.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy 24
Underalog , Illinois
Cold Campin'

Do you mean the insulating silver things you put in the windshield to keep the sun/heat out? I was thinking about those since I do not have curtains yet, just some heavy towels we velcroed up as temporary privacy curtains until I get some made.
I do have an electric blanket, thanks for that tip, I was not sure how much the electric could handle, even hooked up? We have 30 amp power and only one deep cycle battery so electric hookups are essential to us in colder weather I am assuming.

We did camp in 30 degrees on 3-4 nights, in Rapid City, SD and again one night in Jackson got real cold, and the furnace runs so hot you cannot touch the grill vent! We had it checked out in Jackson, and its fine, better than fine. I think the only thing that sorta sucks about freezing temps is not being able to cook outside. It is supposed to get a bit colder than that in Wisconsin next week.

SilverSnail (as soon as I can get name changed)

Landmammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Originally Posted by Landmammal View Post
Well, the hunt went great. We officially became Streamers when we bagged our new to us 77 Argosy 24', lovingly dubbed the Silver Snail. We are currently in a campground in western SD with a Bambi parked nearby. Once we get home, we will post pics.

Wonderful! May you have many years of fun with it!
As for an electric blanket, if you have a really warm down comforter, that should work also. We wound up in the mountains in early June and woke up to a snowstorm. My down comforter kept us warm and cozy. We had no idea how cold it was until we got out from under it!
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California
Wool blankets work too.

Looks like you got a great buy. It is so clean and are going to love it......keep posting pictures of your adventures, please. paula
Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Nice trailer! I think you did well. If it dips into the freezing zone at night, and warms up in the daytime, you should be alright as long as you keep the furnace and water heater lit. A protracted period of freezing temps could cause your waste tanks to start freezing, so you may want to put some RV anti-freeze in them. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I put a gallon in each when empty. The theory is that it runs into the valve area pipes and everything else is added on top when used. Of course, useage dilutes the anti-freeze. maybe it's all psychological, but I feel better.
Anyway, we're headed to Indiana this weekend for one last three day trip, and I'll winterize when we get back. Right now, our trailer is sitting in the driveway with the heat and water heater on each night as the temps get down to about 30.
Have fun in WI! On our very first night camping in a brand new A/S, we were in Eminence, MO and it went down into the 20's. The furnace went out and would not re-light. It got cold! In the morning, i grabbed a hot shower to warm up. Felt good! My wife went next and quickly ran out of hot water - turned out the h/w heater wouldn't re-light either. She was frozen, and steamed too. We went to the A/S dealer in AR the next day. Turns out the power converter had failed and we simply ran out of 12v juice. They put in a new one and we were good again. My wife reminds about that from time to time. I'd talked her into trying camping, and this was her first experience. She's really into it now, though, so I think I'm forgiven.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

The aluminum foil insulation is called Reflectix. I am sure that you can cut it with heavy sissors. It has an R factor of 3.7. It comes in a roll like 16" x 25' and costs $15.00 at Lowes. You can cover the roof vents and the windows although maybe not all of them. You maybe could use 2 layers of Reflectix and cover this with plastic to sandwich the Reflectix between the window and the plasic. This would inctrease the window r factor to more than 7 since you are trapping air between the glass and plastic. I think this would go a long way toward minimizing how much your furnace runs, reducing the propane usage and keeping the interior temperatures uniform.

The electric blanket uses only 180 watts (3 amps). It is real nice if your trailer is cold. The eb will heat up the sheets while the furnace heats up the trailer interior. Another helpful idea is flannel sheets.

Happy Camping, Dan
Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Here is the link for Reflectix-

Shop Building Supplies : Insulation & Accessories : Reflectix at