Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Thanks, Emily. We're taking her out this weekend so I'm sure we'll discover several things we didn't know about. I still need to take the time to discover where the inlet for the water is. I see where you put the water in the front tank, but where you hook up the hose... is a mystery.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
New Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenschen View Post
I did indeed. Do you know this one? Anything I should be worried about? I see you're from Milan, did you look at it while it was for sale?
John, I look at every one I see! It is 5 feet longer than mine so I stopped to ask about it 2 years ago. At the time the father who runs the boat storage yard said his son in Iowa was using it and it wasn't going to be sold. Guess the son had a newer trailer in mind! His loss your gain! I walked thru it back then and every thing worked so I think you have a good unit there! If the batteries aren't holding a charge it could be they aren't being charged by the Univolt (converter) If it is still onboard. You might want to replace it as they are notorious for boiling batteries! I did add you to my friends list. PM me with a phone number when you are available and we can talk. Happy Trails, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I see where you put the water in the front tank, but where you hook up the hose... is a mystery.
Well, yours may be different than mine, but a lot of the AS trailers have a garden hose-type connector for fresh water input at the rear streetside of the trailer.

Get down and look around the corner from the left side (as you face the back of the trailer) from the bumper.

Have a great trip!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well, yours may be different than mine, but a lot of the AS trailers have a garden hose-type connector for fresh water input at the rear streetside of the trailer.

Get down and look around the corner from the left side (as you face the back of the trailer) from the bumper.

Have a great trip!
Thanks for the advice. Okay, here's my experience with the water systen thus far. I plugged in electricity to the trailer. I put water in the tank up front. I went inside and turned on the faucet. The waterpump turned on and spewed out some water and air, then just water. I turned off the water because I suddenly wondered where the water might be exiting from. SO I go outside and see that underneath near the rear of the AS there was a gardenhose like connector with a plug in it spraying water everywhere. I unplug the thing and water starts exiting. Its then that I notice that the water pump is going brrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrr... even when the faucet isn't on. It looks like a PO redid the plumbing so... *shrug* Is this where I should connect the fresh water? I does seem to have that kind of connector. but if that's where the fresh water goes in, where does the gray water come out? Hrm. I'll need to do some serious poking around there today since we're taking it out camping this weekend.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
I've got a call into the PO to see if he can help me out with this. I just took a look again and I still can't find ANYwhere to connect a fresh water line. Its all been redone... I wonder if they just decided to make it easy on themselves and made it a tank only system. That would suck.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Highly unlikely it's tank only. There IS going to be a water connection. Try looking on the "streetside" (the side that's in traffic when your trailer is pulled to the side of the road) and look near that tire on the frame. I'm goning to bet that the water inlet and waste outlet are close together, and probably somewhere between the streetside tire and the rear bumper, jsut under the body.

First off, unless someone has added it, you do not have a grey water tank. That didn't happen until the 1974 models.

And the exit for the tanks is a much larger connection (~3" in diameter), often in the same general area, with a twist on/off cover.

But what it contains is the BLACK water exit, so be sure you have a correct drain to dump black water into, and of course, the "stinky slinky" to connect it to your trailer BEFORE you fiddle with that opening. Trust me, it's important to have that operation down cold before experimenting. Did you see the movie with Robin Williams called "RV"?

You really should get either the owner's manual and do a quick cover to cover read (all you need to know is there) or get someone that knows trailers to spend a couple of hours with you to walk around it and explain the various things you'll need to know...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
I see where the black water exit is. It has the black slinky hose attached to it. But I'm pretty positive that the PO told me that the grey water exit was the one installed underneath trailer. I have an owners manual for this model but the problem is that a PO has completely redone the plumbing and nothing matches the original equipment or configuration.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
The waterpump turned on and spewed out some water and air, then just water.
Now that is a Good Thing, it means that your water pump works!

Quote:
I turned off the water because I suddenly wondered where the water might be exiting from. SO I go outside and see that underneath near the rear of the AS there was a gardenhose like connector with a plug in it spraying water everywhere.
Well, you know what? The big round cap fpr the waste outlet often has a garden hose outlet built into it so that grey water can be allowed to go out onto the ground.

Which means you MAY have found the waste exit! Look closely at it; is the piece of garden hose you describe (the one that was spraying all over) connect into a larger round cap?

Quote:
I unplug the thing and water starts exiting. Its then that I notice that the water pump is going brrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrrr... brrrrrrrrrrr... even when the faucet isn't on.
It could be that the water pump is just trying to pressurize your plumbing. That's more good news.

Quote:
It looks like a PO redid the plumbing so... *shrug* Is this where I should connect the fresh water? I does seem to have that kind of connector. but if that's where the fresh water goes in, where does the gray water come out? Hrm. I'll need to do some serious poking around there today since we're taking it out camping this weekend.
I think you still need to find the fresh water inlet (the garden hose connector).

But you MAY be making good progress.

By any chance, did the PO leave the manual with the trailer? If not, look on ebaY, I think you can buy a download of one there.

Keep at it, you'll be camping soon!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I see where the black water exit is. It has the black slinky hose attached to it. But I'm pretty positive that the PO told me that the grey water exit was the one installed underneath trailer. I have an owners manual for this model but the problem is that a PO has completely redone the plumbing and nothing matches the original equipment or configuration.
OK, you're typing faster than me.

One way to confirm if you have a black AND a grey tank is to open the "trunk" on your trailer (the big rear compartment). Look for a large valve that is like a guillotine in action (don't activate it). You have ONE for sure; the black tank.

If you have TWO, then there was a grey tank added. If there's only one, then the grey water, by design, just flows out the waste pipe unrestricted. Probably through the garden hose that was spraying earlier.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Yeah, we searched everywhere and there's no fresh water inlet anywhere to be found. I called the PO and left him a message but he has yet to reply. (Gee, wonder why.) There's no gray water tank, but I knew that before hand. So... I guess it's not TERRIBLE if there's no fresh water input, but it *kinda* is if I can't get the water pump system to work. We'll see I guess.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
bettendorf , Iowa
Okay, here's an update. What I thought was the gray water outlet, is actually the freshwater inlet. When the fresh water outlet is plugged, the water is drawn from the tank. When it's open and not connected to a hose, water from the fresh tank sprays out when you turn on a faucet. I also filled the blackwater tank with fresh water and flushed that out just fine.

So, knowing that what I thought was the gray water outlet is actually the freshwater input, I wondered where the heck the gray water output was since it's shy one hole. SO I had my son pour water down the kitchen sink and I listened to where it went. SO here's how it works now - when you pull up on the valve to flush out the black water tank, the black water flushes out. When you push that valve back down, the gray water automatically comes out of the same exit as the dark water.

Now I just need to figure out why the new batteries don't seem to power anything. Everything (kinda) works when connected to shore power, however. An exception is that when if I turn on the lights when I have the radio on, while the radio stays on, the sound cuts out.

Next issue is that after I installed new LED brake lights because I kept blowing fuses (I thought all of the lights were drawing too much power) all of the trailer lights and the new brake controller worked PERFECTLY! I was so pleased with myself. However, when I went to get it from storage and tested the lights before we left, nothing worked right again. It had been raining a lot and I suspected that water had gotten inside and was wreaking havoc. We drove it to the site and they didn't work properly the whole 1.5 hour trip. We were at the site for about 36 hours before we came back home and on the way back, everything worked fine. I suspect it dried out. Problem is now that I have no idea where its getting wet and the problem originates.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on having your first immersion in Airstream Mystique...!

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander