Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Non Airstreamer

As there is not much out there for a Silver Streak owner I found that this site has much to offer that will probably be very beneficial in our renovation process of our 1963 22' Silver Streak. We leave in far Northern California and we are new to travel trailering. I recently finished a restore /renovation on a 1978 FJ40 which will probably need to be sold to fund my new aluminitus disease, as I've heard it referred. Right now I am pulling the interior out and have been more than interested in seeing the custom interiors as well as the restored and originals. Have found a few soft spots in the sub-floor and will most probably be dropping the belly pan at some point. The trailer has not been registered since 1989 and has a musty smell that has gotta go. My plans are to rebuild cabinets using the old as patterns and pretty much all new appliances. Water heater was shot, heater shot, fridge shot. Stove looks nice, but don't know if it works and we may just want a cooktop and convect/micro instead. May change the floor plan but not sure. have been taking lots of pics along the way.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! We're happy to have all kinds of aluminum around here. Sounds like you've got quite a project going - how about sharing some pictures?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
You will find that we enjoy all kinds of vintage aluminum around theese parts keep us posted on your project!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Mel

Thanks for the reply. I checked out your pics and looks as though you speak from experience! Yours is REALLY nice...someday....

Here's a link to my pics, will be adding to them as I 'progress'
Picasa Web Albums - Mike - 1963 Silver S...

PS taking any and all advice, suggestions, criticisms, it's all welcome!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Streaming Soldiers- 1975 Airstream Ambassador and 1953 Flying Cloud

Here is my husbands blog on our airstreams. He is working on a 1953 Flying cloud right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Very nice! You won't regret documenting every little detail like your doing. It will be a valuable reference as you go through restoration.

Welcome to the forums.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
The knowledge related to vintage Airstream renovation is largely transferrable to other vintage travel trailers (and vice versa). There is a frame. There are axles. There are 110v and 12v electrical systems. There plumbing and LP systems. Many of us have gutted our trailers and are replacing the interiors with new, non-Airstream mechanical systems. There are great people here, very helpful and highly skilled. Very few folks are going to get hung up on the brand name thing. Congratulations and welcome aboard.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Checked out your pics - it's a diamond in the rough! I really like the bathroom light fixture, and I've never seen an awning like that before. Love how the little details really come together to make the trailer. Looks like you'll be staying busy for a little while!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I looked over your photos and noticed the Grover air pump. Your water system works by air pressure and doesn't have a water pump. Some folks really like this system and others do not. If you decide to rebuild with a water pump, don't throw away the air pump. There is someone that will want it.
I looked over a Silver Streak before I bought my Safari and really liked how it was laid out and built. I want to own both, now.
You're gonna have fun!
Sam
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Sam,
Thanks for the tip on the air pump, I haven't checked to see if it works. My water tank is pretty rusty so probably will purchase new and switch to electric pump. Having foot surgery to remove neuromas on Wednesday so won't be much or any progress for awhile after that. If I get anything more done in the next couple of days I'll post the new pics to my album. Sam I took a look at your photos and looks like you have a real nice Safari. Also, are you a sheet metal worker?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
SilverHoot--
I'm not really a sheet metal worker, but having grown up on a farm far from "civilization" I learned how to do things on the spot. Sometimes even fairly well.

Take a lot of photos of your project. If not for us, then for yourself. I was 16 months rebuilding my Safari and cannot remember the number of times I went back to my photos to see how things came apart or went together.

I will be starting the complete rebuild of my 1949 Boles Aero this spring and plan to add an air pressure water system, so would like to be first in line to purchase your Grover air pump if you decide to sell. I already have a nice aluminum pressure water tank ready to install. I am one of the minority that likes the pressure system.

I hope the surgery goes well and you are not delayed too long in playing with your Silver Streak.
Sam
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, trailers are a dangerous kinda thing . . I see Aerowoods work (and job) and I sorta wish I COULD go back and start life over again.

I've spent all too many hours on here, and there are ton's of great, well-documented restorations.

Hope you've found the rest of the S/S crowd over on Toms' Web Page and signed on to the mailing list.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Rednax,

Yes, I have found Tom's page and am on the mailing list. Just so few of the SS out there that the forum is not all that active. LOTS more info here! Yes, I spend way too much time here, but helps since I knew nothing prior.

Tags
silver streak