Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Newish Ontario Canada Airstreamers

Hi, we purchased a 2011 FC 28 in September after looking for a good previously enjoyed 25 to 28ft FC for about 8 months. We were in no rush but when the dealer called about this recent trade it sounded like the Airstream my wife and I were looking for. We went to have a look and fell in love. Since purchasing it on Sept 22nd we have put about 2500kM on it with two trips to Ottawa from our home in Orillia, ON. and then back to the dealer for winter storage in Mid November. We already miss it a lot. My wife retires in 3 years from a very heavy work load as a RN and I will retire soon after her from my job as a sales professional in the mobile communication equipment business. We are looking forward to a life on the road. I already have the books for the Alaska trip planning. LOL

In my travels while looking for an appropriate Airstream I started to become hyper sensitive to spotting them and I would come across Airstreams in the weirdest locations. Most of the ones that I saw were either too new and still well loved by their current owners or too old and needing restoration. I would take pictures along the way and after reading a fair bit here I believe that one of the locations that I found may be of interest to some of the more adventurous restorers out there.
What do you think?

The trailers are located in Muskoka Ontario in a little area known as Torrance. It is between Bala and Gravenhurst Ontario. The trailers are at the main corner in Torrance on Hwy #169.

https://goo.gl/maps/WrBiLvRyatS2

The story I heard was that the fellow that owns the trailers caught the bug hard and collected these and others over the years. They are currently in various stages of decay but for a serious restorer they could be just what you are looking for. I expect the owner is somewhere on these forums but if he/she hasn't already posted these gems or is not known on here and anyone wants me to try and get more info, the next time I am in the area I will try to get a phone number. I go through Torrance about once a month.

Our first big trip in the FC 28 is next July to either Denver CO or Cold Lake AB. Just can't decide yet. I am a big Geocacher (KSAcat) and both spots are having Mega Events planned for July 2016. Decisions Decisions.

See you on the highways...

de Kevin & Rose
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Congrats & welcome to the forum, I'm also a new Airstreamer although a seasoned RVer, life on the road IS the life, enjoy.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
My real concern with your setup is your TV, tow vehicle. When towing an AS over 22' in the Rocky Mountains, and beyond, you really need a heavy duty rig with the right towing transmission, brakes, cooling system and suspension to be safe. I know that there are some dealers, especially in Canada, that advocate a "minimalist" TV , but the real world does not agree with that and I highly recommend that you consider an advertised tow vehicle to handle your new Airstream, efficiently and safely.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
My real concern with your setup is your TV, tow vehicle. When towing an AS over 22' in the Rocky Mountains, and beyond, you really need a heavy duty rig with the right towing transmission, brakes, cooling system and suspension to be safe. I know that there are some dealers, especially in Canada, that advocate a "minimalist" TV , but the real world does not agree with that and I highly recommend that you consider an advertised tow vehicle to handle your new Airstream, efficiently and safely.
Thanks for the response and your genuine concern. So far so good, the Audi TDI has more than 240HP and 428+ Torque with brakes as big or bigger than most "Real" TV. I do not consider this minimalist BUT I will be keeping my mind and options open going forward. The first time I will be pulling through the Rockies will be about 3 to 5 years from now so I have some time to learn and decide how well this setup will work for us before we make that trip.

de Kevin & Rose
Old 12-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Welcome to the Forum
We home base in Ottawa. There is a lot of information on hitches, tow vehicles on this forum and a lot of it is based on opinion. Seek out the best information that you can for your set up, try it out and make an educated decision from there.
I think that you may have your hands full with this set up, but again only one opinion, totally unhampered with facts!
Welcome again and enjoy this forum
If you are in Ottawa in early May, please plan on joining our chapter of the club at out annual 'Spring Shakedown' get together at Wesley Clover Park.
All the best
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Welcome from Niagara on the Lake,

Great looking Airstream!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
Thanks for the response and your genuine concern. So far so good, the Audi TDI has more than 240HP and 428+ Torque with brakes as big or bigger than most "Real" TV. I do not consider this minimalist BUT I will be keeping my mind and options open going forward. The first time I will be pulling through the Rockies will be about 3 to 5 years from now so I have some time to learn and decide how well this setup will work for us before we make that trip.

de Kevin & Rose
First off, welcome from Toronto. Our trailer too is in winter storage with CanAm at the moment.

Just to reassure you a little more, almost all "real world" experiences actually support your choice of tow vehicle. It's the people who have little, if any, first hand experience with this kind of setup who tend to be the most vocal sceptics.

We happily towed our 34' International for three years with a Honda minivan, in all kind of conditions. Enjoy your beautiful new trailer and hopefully see you on the road next spring.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post

Hmmmm. Nope. Won't bite. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Another welcome from Toronto!
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Welcome from Burlington!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And from Battle Lake, Minnesota.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
If you are in Ottawa in early May, please plan on joining our chapter of the club at out annual 'Spring Shakedown' get together at Wesley Clover Park.
All the best
Pete
Thanks for the invite Pete, Rose and I would be interested in possibly joining the "Spring Shakedown" get together. Can you PM me some details as I can't find any information on-line for it.

Our children attended Carleton and now both are living in Ottawa. The eldest owns a house near South Keys (Hunt Club and Bank) so we have been sticking to the convenient campgrounds a little further out on Bank Street.

Thanks to all for the warm reception. I have been reading a LOT of information on here and of course, I now know of at least 15 things that I MUST change/fix/upgrade ASAP or my AS will implode/explode... LOL. Oh well, one step at a time, Rose and I will get there eventually.

Kevin & Rose
Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Welcome from Milton Ontario!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Englishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Thanks again to all for the kind welcome to this board.

I have a question for anyone that is an expert here on posting Profile pics and Avatars? I am trying to upload a custom avatar from my computer, it is under 100kB (5.05kB) and is only 80x69 pixels but it will not load. I will move on to try the Profile pic next and I see I am allowed the same 100kB but my pic must be less than 400x400 pixels. Can anyone tell me why this is not working?
Edit to add: My profile pic which is also well within the limits will not load either. It seems like the site "thinks" I have a custom profile and avatar loaded but it will not display them.

Thank You
Kevin
Old 12-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Welcome to Alumaholics Anonymous! No doubt, you notice you get advice, whether or not you want it. My only contribution on tow vehicle is, if your current one is doing the job, fine, but keep an eye and ear to potential premature wear and stress problems. Look into an aftermarket transmission cooler, to be safe. Aldo, consider joining the Airstream Owners Club, whose members in your area can offer assistance with issues which may arise, as they have been through similar. See www.wbcci.org for more info. Meanwhile, 5809 will be looking for you on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Welcome aboard....

As you would have noted earlier, advise on the forum is often abundant and generally that is a good thing. The trick is to have the ability to weed out what's real and whats not.
You picked a great trailer and wonderful floorpan. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I'm saying that from experience as we have the same unit only a couple years newer. Anyway, enjoy the adventure and if you find yourself in central Canada (on your way to Alaska), look us up we have lots of room for courtesy parking.....

In the interim, owning an Airstream allows you start dreaming of endless upgrades to so start making your list and checking it twice.....

I hope you have a Happy Holiday Season.

Cheers
Doug