Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
newer as confuse with being older

I'm newbie to as site don't have one but looking. How many of you have a newer as but people think its older I have been looking for vintage as not a lot of luck in my price range have champagne taste on a beer budget then thought might go newer put some red wheels on it I know you can completely te build a car from ground up with every thing new and still an old car you have to tinker with and I under stand even new has to be tinker with have had motor home past ten years and kept a list every time we went out on things to do when we got back just to maintain. Thanks for your input really I just think buying newer would be easier.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been Airstreaming since 2005. We had a 2005 Safari 25FB, and now we have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. Over the years, we have been asked hundreds of times how old our Aistream is. When we are truthful, the retort is almost always, "I didn't know they still made those things". Sometimes, just for fun, we initially tell the person that it's a 1948. They never bat an eye and comment that it looks good for that age.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Common questions from strangers.

1. Is it new?
2. What year is it?
3. What size is it?
4. Are they still making them?
5. How much did it cost?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've seriously considered making a tidy sign answering those questions and permanently mounting it in a convenient location.

It is quite nice getting an "I love your coach!" from total strangers at gas stations. Had one pulling out as we pulled in, they looped back and delayed us and several cars behind us almost 30 minutes asking questions. Drove our pack of doggies nuts while they tried to protect 'their Airstream'.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
We have delivery people come to our house and ask the same questions. LOL!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
halftimer,

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search.

We're discovering, as we travel more with our A/S, that often the people we meet are as interesting as the place we're visiting, sometimes even more so. The A/S (new or vintage) and those common questions seem to be a conversation starter.

Enjoy your journey,

Roy and Marie
Old 02-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have been Airstreaming since 2005. We had a 2005 Safari 25FB, and now we have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB.
Brian
Wait, they still make these things? Should have quit in '74, when they perfected it...

Halftimer, welcome to the forum. Tons of great advice on here. As you'll notice in this thread already, there's a brand new 2015 model, to a 1964 unit... You'll find some that own 3 and 4 AS trailers. I bought a derelict 1974 Sovereign for $2000 and proceeded to put another $5500 into it to get it road ready. That included new axles and tires. She's still not complete, but it's getting there. I'm figuring another 2 to 3 hundred thousand dollars and I might have it finished... the majority of that will be my hourly rate spent in longnecks.

Don't be afraid to jump on an older unit, but get on this forum first, and READ READ READ. I found this site after I bought my Airstream, and I might have passed on her if I had known then what I know now, but I did enjoy the rebuild. I've got a thread documenting my work here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ler-95762.html
It will give you an idea of why you really want to know what you're looking for before you purchase. Not trying to discourage you from going this route, but if you're not incredibly handy in quite a few skill sets involving tools, you may want to skip going this way...

Every year model it seems has it's own quirks, advantages and disadvantages. I dumb lucked into a year model and style that had a lot of advantages. '74 had easily rebuildable vista view and stack windows, they added gray water tanks in '74, I got a center bath model, which locates the black and gray water tanks closer in to the axles... see, dumb lucked into features I had no idea changed through the years and models.

Understand that if you buy a model that is over 30 years old, the axles will likely need replacing... and appliances may or may not work.

If you buy a unit that the PO has upgraded to sixteen inch rims and LT tires, you'll save yourself some money.

There are members on here that will do trailer inspections for you for FREE! My favorite price... take advantage of that. Even if you know what you're looking for, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes, a set of eyes that aren't blinded by aluminitus, to look at it with you...

Talk to members on here that have been through refurbing an older trailer. There is a lot of work in it, but a great sense of satisfaction every time I take her down the road.

But honestly, you don't have to go the refurb route at all, unless you just want to. There are plenty of very nice AS trailers for sale that need very little work done, just the tinkering you were speaking of, for less than the cost of some SOB's out there. Do your research, decide what you want, and ask a lot of questions.

And lastly, post up pictures when you get her. We love pictures!

-Red, rocking the '74 vibe...
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
indeed...the comment "I did not know they still makes those"...or something to that effect is so common, its a cliché among airstream enthusiasts. I have owned my 2014 unit now for over 1 year, and have had that question/comment a number of times...

Good luck in your research! There are virtues/disadvantages about new, used, vintage, longer, shorter, heavier, lighter, this floor plan that floor plan, which tow vehicle, which hitch, which wheels/tires....the list goes on. Lots of good info on this site.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
People must not have tele. to ask if they still make AS as many commercials have them today. I have 76. pur new some things wear out but still not much maint. to do.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I have never been asked if they still make them, but so far folks assumed mine was newer and that I also paid north 100K and thus am wealthy. Also, dirty looks for being under the age of 50 in an Airstream.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I have never been asked if they still make them, but so far folks assumed mine was newer and that I also paid north 100K and thus am wealthy. Also, dirty looks for being under the age of 50 in an Airstream.

My standard reply now if price or other such questions come up:

"I don't know - my daddy bought it for me" (said in just the right time to suggest sarcasm but only slightly)

Sorry - that's for a different thread

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
People are always surprised when they ask how much my trailer cost, and I can point at pretty much any new trailer in the campground and say 'less than that one'

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
OP Halftimer - Welcome, but suggest taking a breath or putting in periods on your posts ... very hard to read / understand.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My excuse on price questions is "I have no idea, my youngest son bought it..

Rich, always sticks to the truth...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote