Old 02-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well... my experience is that we are STILL building the AS!!! I repair stuff when it breaks.. and it is 'new' again!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Wait, they still make these things? Should have quit in '74, when they perfected it...

Halftimer, welcome to the forum. Tons of great advice on here. As you'll notice in this thread already, there's a brand new 2015 model, to a 1964 unit... You'll find some that own 3 and 4 AS trailers. I bought a derelict 1974 Sovereign for $2000 and proceeded to put another $5500 into it to get it road ready. That included new axles and tires. She's still not complete, but it's getting there. I'm figuring another 2 to 3 hundred thousand dollars and I might have it finished... the majority of that will be my hourly rate spent in longnecks.

Don't be afraid to jump on an older unit, but get on this forum first, and READ READ READ. I found this site after I bought my Airstream, and I might have passed on her if I had known then what I know now, but I did enjoy the rebuild. I've got a thread documenting my work here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ler-95762.html
It will give you an idea of why you really want to know what you're looking for before you purchase. Not trying to discourage you from going this route, but if you're not incredibly handy in quite a few skill sets involving tools, you may want to skip going this way...

Every year model it seems has it's own quirks, advantages and disadvantages. I dumb lucked into a year model and style that had a lot of advantages. '74 had easily rebuildable vista view and stack windows, they added gray water tanks in '74, I got a center bath model, which locates the black and gray water tanks closer in to the axles... see, dumb lucked into features I had no idea changed through the years and models.

Understand that if you buy a model that is over 30 years old, the axles will likely need replacing... and appliances may or may not work.

If you buy a unit that the PO has upgraded to sixteen inch rims and LT tires, you'll save yourself some money.

There are members on here that will do trailer inspections for you for FREE! My favorite price... take advantage of that. Even if you know what you're looking for, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes, a set of eyes that aren't blinded by aluminitus, to look at it with you...

Talk to members on here that have been through refurbing an older trailer. There is a lot of work in it, but a great sense of satisfaction every time I take her down the road.

But honestly, you don't have to go the refurb route at all, unless you just want to. There are plenty of very nice AS trailers for sale that need very little work done, just the tinkering you were speaking of, for less than the cost of some SOB's out there. Do your research, decide what you want, and ask a lot of questions.

And lastly, post up pictures when you get her. We love pictures!

-Red, rocking the '74 vibe...
I knonow no pics it didn't happen I'm in no hurry will stumble on something will tow with 55 chewy nomad wagon already takes 45 minutes to hour to get gas now I like to talk and have never met a stranger thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd like to see a pic of that Nomad!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Me too on the pic. Might have an AS to trade for a Nomad. Not really but....And for the answer to"how much does an airstream cost...I tell them that's why I have a 20 year old truck. Usually takes care of that question without any "snooty".
Old 02-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I miss "wing" windows.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I have them on my 96 F250 PSroke scab. Another reason " old" is not always bad. And old technology not always bad either especially with some of the deisels. And nice Nomad!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
. maybe if if I could find a Bambi I could tow it with this one . I have had it over thirty years
Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I love your cars, man.