Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
Newcomer

I have just agreed to purchase a 66 Caravel--sight unseen. It's located in Boise, ID, a long day's drive from home in Silverton, OR. A bit scary, but my brother lives in Boise, and from a quick look thought it looked good. That, plus the photos and a couple of good conversations with the sellers convinced me it's the one I want, and at a fair price. My wife and I plan to drive over there and pick it up next week-end. Meanwhile I will be asking the seller to take it to a local service center this week, to service sthe wheels, and otherwise make sure its roadworthy. I'll be pulling it with a 2004 Honda Pilot. They are rated at 3500 lb. (4500 for boats) with 450 tongue weight. Near as I can tell that should do it. We'll take to days to drive back. Any other advice?

Our plan is to restore it as original except for safety-related upgrades. Actually the trailer looks to be in very good shape and well-maintained. No skin damage except a small tear near a wheel well that looks repairable. There seems to be a wealth of info. available both on restoration "ethics" and tips/techniques. That's great. I'm sure I will be posting questions too. A few years ago I restored a 1933 Old Town wood and canvas canoe, that was close to "kindling" when I got it. An often discouraging project, but I'm proud to say it turned out just beautiful, and is a dream to paddle. It actually hangs in our family room and I'm looking forward to putting it on top of the Honda with the Caravel in tow.The only help I could find for that project was a book. It was very helpful, but a resourse like this website would have made it SO much easier.

Looking forward to getting into the "Vintage Airstream thing"!

Mark
mrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Caravels are a great trailer for restoration.Great find. I have just started renovating a 1968 Caravel.Currently have removed furniture and in process of laying flooring.
Be sure to have someone check your lights and brake operation before picking up.

Good Luck.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Great find, they are terrific little trailers. Try and find out if the axle is original or not. 60's Caravels suffered from a weak axle spindle which caused the wheels to separate from the trailer. It is possible that the tear in the skin was caused by just that. This link shows what can happen:
'65 Caravel - Axle Damage

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Good Luck Mark, I hope everything goes your way and you enjoy the ride. Bill
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Mark--
Good luck with your new "toy". And by all means plan on taking your canoe on some adventures.
If you travel I 84, I am about 2/3 rds of the way to Boise from your location. If you need any assistance in this area, feel free to ask me. Hope you have an enjoyable but uneventful trip.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Mark, Several Caravels in the local area (NW Oregon/SW Washington). You should join us at the Trout Lake (Area 33) rally Memorial Day weekend or the Vernonia Rally July 4th. Check out the rally calendar for details. Lots of fun and lots of FREE advice!! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations Mark!

The 66's are a great year....real wood interiors and the "special" frameless windows. There are lots of threads on this site regarding how to seal the windows, find replacements etc.....

Good luck with your new toy!