Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
In Florida, at the rest areas, they have signs posted that there is a 3-hour limit on your stay; no overnight. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel before but we ask the manger. They usually say "sure, see ya for breakfast". Many Cracker Barrels don't have a lot of space but sometimes you get lucky.

I asked at a Pilot before and they said "you want to park here? with the trucks?" I've heard it's noisy and the wife said we should ease on down the road. We've parked at some shopping centers for a while but always go shop at one of the stores.

We haven't been doing this very long but the Walmart lots don't look very appealing to us. We've been to the Publix parking for brief stays. We also use state and federal parks when they're open. Most have a few spots open for walk-ups.

Rest Stops
Here's a list of states allowing overnights at the rest stops:

Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
Wyoming - with some limitations

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Moose Clubs

Join the Moose - almost all clubs have parking for a few RV's out back and as a member it's free or dirt cheap.... Of course it's a parking lot and a water hose - not full hookups. You can eat in the dining room at member rates too. I am not sure but the Elks and Eagles may have the same thing.

Paula

Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Harvest Hosts for a small annual fee give you a list of farms, wineries, museums, etc. that allow you stay over nite for free. It is kind of expected that if it is a business or establishment that has a product for sale or fee for an attraction that you support the business in some small way. Some have some type of hookup. Others it is strictly boon docking.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Easthampton , Massachusetts
Too little, too late?

I've just noticed your thread here but if you're still wandering the back roads of New England, you're welcome to park in our driveway. We're in Western Ma just 2 miles off I-91, the main north/south route in western Ma. Plenty to see in our area.... Cute college town with loads of restaurants and artists galleries. Historical sites aplenty. We can only offer dry camping, but our street is rural and quiet and best of all safe. Hope you're enjoying your maiden voyage. We're green with envy.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Wish id known...we reaLily loved our visit in western MA
Thanks anyway
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
In Florida, at the rest areas, they have signs posted that there is a 3-hour limit on your stay; no overnight. We've stayed at Cracker Barrel before but we ask the manger. They usually say "sure, see ya for breakfast". Many Cracker Barrels don't have a lot of space but sometimes you get lucky.

I asked at a Pilot before and they said "you want to park here? with the trucks?" I've heard it's noisy and the wife said we should ease on down the road. We've parked at some shopping centers for a while but always go shop at one of the stores.

We haven't been doing this very long but the Walmart lots don't look very appealing to us. We've been to the Publix parking for brief stays. We also use state and federal parks when they're open. Most have a few spots open for walk-ups.

Rest Stops
Here's a list of states allowing overnights at the rest stops:

Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
Wyoming - with some limitations

Figures CT says you can overnight on IL toll roads, many states away.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
We are learning all this too. A person I met in one of the local groups told me any 24 hour store is gonna be ok. I'll definitely be trying some. After a while we learn about our resources.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

I understand your concerns about finding a place to sleep.

It's part luck, guts, talking to locals, research….part art/part science.

BLM land is a different ballgame all together ( different topic )

The east coast has it's own opportunities.

I was in Vermont, and found a grass " parking lot ???" to take a nap in my van. I later found out that I could have stayed there all night. Some municipalities have parks or event fields where they let you stay. Maybe they figure you will spend money. This requires some asking. Ask while you are buying something.

Hiking trails( The A.T., The Long Trail etc ), and trails to gamelands, usually have small gravel parking lots.

A well respected RV guru from the New Orleans area, who is a heck of a nice guy ( I think he is a forum member ) suggests Army Corp of Engineer campgrounds. They are all over the country. Research and find out where the close ones to your trip. Very cheap if not free.

Also know where the Commercial Campgrounds are as a back up.

The government made access points and places to park so that people could get to rivers. ( for recreation AND in case of disaster) Some are too small, some are too hilly, and there usually close to the road, but I've seen some nice ones. And it's nice to be near a river. Buy a fishing pole and and some old boots. Pretend you are a fisherman.

A key practice is to scout about in the day time. Then come back.

Sometimes you get lucky and meet someone who wants to help.

There a few different types of boondocking. Just needing a place to sleep, or just trying to save a buck, or while traveling, or road tripping, or WAY out in the country, or staying in one place in a scenic paradise, disbursed camping at State and National Parks. Think mission adventure…not vacation

My driveway and yard is a heck of a lot nicer than a lot of places I have camped. Boondocking just to be boondocking might get old. The local attractions are the reward.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
And it's nice to be near a river. Buy a fishing pole and and some old boots. Pretend you are a fisherman.
If you buy a pole, buy a license. Most states have VERY intensive fishing laws. Here they can seize all your fishing tackle, boat and tow vehicle. I don't know if they can get your AS but it's not worth avoiding at least a 3-day non-resident license.

I haven't tried stopping in regular residential areas or near restaurants. At our exit off the Interstate there are a number of restaurants and hotels. I always see a lot of trucks there but no RVs or travel trailers. There's lots of room and it's a nice area, surprised more people don't stay there. I'm tempted to go down there and stay a night to see if I get chased away.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Some motels cater to truckers, restaurants also. That's why they park there.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Some motels cater to truckers, restaurants also. That's why they park there.
I understand why the truckers are there, just wondering why no RVs are there, taking advantage of the available parking right off the interstate and in a good neighborhood. I've seen RVs come past but no one ever parks there. I'd feel more comfortable there than at the rest stop just down the road.

Just wonderin'

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Good point about the fishing license

About 22 states have senior discounts, and a handful don't require seniors to have a license. A few offer lifetime licenses for seniors.

The cost would be worth it, even if you got one free night of camping.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In most states out of state license cost is outrageous compared to resident licenses. I am not a dedicated fresh water fisherman so I rarely fish when away from my home state.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The truckers may be there to use the motel, gotta be better than sleeping in the cab.