Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
oconomowoc , Wisconsin
Newby from Wisconsin

Hi all,
I have been a lurker on the board for 5-6 years, and I joined about 2 years ago as I started looking seriously for an Airstream. After looking at several that were junk, or already gutted and still at full retail, I started to loose hope on finding a good one at a decent price.

I finally found an Argosy about 2 hours north of me in very nice condition, and at a really good price. In fact it was on Craigs list, and looking at the pictures I could tell it was very clean inside and out, and did I mention it was a really good price?

I found the ad about 2 hours after he placed it, and I was so afraid of missing out on being the first one to look at it, I called the owners 6-8 times in a 30 hour period, leaving messages each time. Well, when I finally got a call back, the owner told me that he was having problems with cell reception, and all of a sudden he got a ton of messages about the Argosy. He said that he called me first because I called the most. That was about 7pm on July 5th. I arranged to be at their place between 8 and 9am the next morning, that meant getting up at 5am in order for me to get my coffee and get there on time.

My wife and I got up there and found that the Argosy was every bit as clean as the pictures showed, in fact it really was better. They bought it from the original owners and have owned it for 10 years. The original owners bought it new in 79. Both owners put the trailer inside during the winter storage.

The current owners used it as a summer cabin until they bought the lot next door that had a cottage on it. It took me about 10 minutes to ask my wife if she liked it, and when she say OK, I told the owners we would take it. We did a once through to see all the mechanical features, jacked the wheels up and checked the bearings for rough spots or looseness, paid the people (did I mention it was a good price also?) and headed home, all in about 45 minutes.

The GOOD:
When i say it is clean I mean the important things like the body, There is hardly a dent or scratch on it,
The belly pan is intact and almost dent free,
The windows are all good, open well, seal well, and the screens are good. The floors are solid from what I could see and test.
The interior has had the dinette and bed cushions professionally redone, The furnace is only 2 years old,
The fridge works on 120vac, (currently not working on gas)
The air works,
The power converter charger is only 2-3 years old
The cabinet doors all open and close properly and look great

The BAD:
The plastic (bulk heads, ,bath fixtures etc.)has really yellowed, i will have to do something about that.
Tires are perfect, but 12-13 years old so I will have to replace them.
The twin beds have started to fall apart over the years, (not a big deal)
He capped off the water line from the pump due to a leak at a filter next to the sink. (again not a big deal) still works on city water.

Anyway, maybe you can tell I am pumped!

PS.
If anyone has a link(s) to the best paint for the shower and other plastic parts, please hook me up with them. I tried the search and it's hard to narrow it down. I am sure I will have other questions for the board, but that is all I can think of at this time.

I am not a complete newby to camping, just the Airstream's. I have owned several pop ups, a couple older trailers, a 4106 bus conversion, and a couple motor homes, but for some reason, I have always wanted an Airstream!

Jim
Oconomowoc, Wi.
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Dang, that sure looks nice from the outside. Definitely replace the tires before any road action. Also check out the axles, gaskets on windows/door, any roof penetrations etc. It will leak until you get it under control.
Don't know about the paint for the plastic, although word on the forums is that it's ABS and Krylon makes a paint that works well.
More photos!
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Oh ya, aay. You might be needing some new axles soon but they are showing some tire on top still. We're all jealous of that find.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nyce!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Dang, that sure looks nice from the outside. Definitely replace the tires before any road action. Also check out the axles, gaskets on windows/door, any roof penetrations etc. It will leak until you get it under control.
Don't know about the paint for the plastic, although word on the forums is that it's ABS and Krylon makes a paint that works well.
More photos!
Krylon Fusion is great. Early 2011 I had to replace the lid to the propane tank cover. The new one was ABS plastic, black and bumpy. The place I got the lid said that no paint would stick, toughs were challenging words to me because I already knew about Krylon fusion. I first sprayed two coats of white then four coats of silver. The trailer is outside year around and the paint has yet to peel flake or otherwise come off. This stuff is formulated for plastic and needs no surface preparation or priming.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
That is a very nice looking trailer. Is it a 29'er ? My daughter and son-in-law that looks like yours but I know it is not as nice as yours. They bought it because of the factory bunks. With four kids they needed them.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Looks good. Enjoy.
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Minnesota. I guess we are neighbors. Your diligence in your search found a nice one. There is some luck involved. Most of us common folk find "projects" that need almost everything. Sometimes sellers don't have accurate appraisals or market research before they establish an asking price. The previous owner of my 66 Trade Wind didn't have a good idea what the trailer may be worth. He let me do my own appraisal and trusted me to offer a fair price. I did, he accepted and both of us were happy.

Wisconsin is a very beautiful state. We so enjoy traveling there. Welcome to the Forums and yes, please post more pictures of your new Argosy, and keep us posted on your travels and improvement projects.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
3202 Ellie

1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
Looks great enjoy
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mesa , Arizona
Smile perr fect

Looks great. Over time you can make it new. Buy the best replacement parts.
Hope to see you on the road soon
John Cook Mesa AZ
johncook is offline   Reply With Quote