Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

birmingham , Alabama
Newby and Input on FC 23CBB

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and I hope to gain much information and knowledge from the community!

I live in Birmingham Al. I'm in the process of purchasing an Airstream. It will likely be something 23 ft or under. I plan to use it for myself and 2 bird dogs. I am an international consultant and can work from anywhere to I will likely spend longer than a week in it at a time and could be months so I don't want to go too small. I love to hike fly fish and climb so I will be in many National parks which is why I like the smaller size but also my vehicle can not tow too much. My truck is a 2001 tundra SR5 with 120K mi so my GVWR is 6200. I love my truck and it is in great shape and I will eventually get a new Tundra but I wanted to hold off a while.

I am am considering the Flying cloud 23CB bunk. New most likely as I can't find many used ones. I like the added flexibility of the bunk for storage and visitors. I only wish it had the 7c ft fridge as I do cook a lot and I would like to bring as much food as possible. I don't eat out much.

Any suggestions (pros or cons) on my section would be greatly appreciated!

travlinchika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
23cb

For solo long term usage a 23CB should be fine. We have a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D (now called a 23CB) and find it has plenty of room for the 2 of us, no pets, no kids. It pulls very well and your current truck should be OK. Going to a 25 footer would be really at or beyond the limits of your current truck. There is a fantastic thread, "The 23D Thread" on the forum that will give you some insight on the 23CB. Lots of reading but worth it. Your going to need some towing mirrors for your truck to safely see what is behind you. In the year we have had our 23D we have traveled extensively and really love the layout. Welcome to the Airstream world. Safe travels!

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
23cb

One additional thought. I hope that your current truck is the V-8 version and not the V-6. The V-6 would definitely be challenged towing the 23CB considering you will be full timing which usually means additional weight with all your belongings. It may pull it, but the V-8 would do a much better job. Of course, when you go to the new Tundra no problem. Great tow vehicle when properly equipped.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

birmingham , Alabama
23 cbb

Yes it is a V-8, positive traction as well but not sure it that helps much.
travlinchika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

Sugar Land , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
For solo long term usage a 23CB should be fine. We have a 2017 Int. Serenity 23D (now called a 23CB) and find it has plenty of room for the 2 of us, no pets, no kids. It pulls very well and your current truck should be OK. Going to a 25 footer would be really at or beyond the limits of your current truck. There is a fantastic thread, "The 23D Thread" on the forum that will give you some insight on the 23CB. Lots of reading but worth it. Your going to need some towing mirrors for your truck to safely see what is behind you. In the year we have had our 23D we have traveled extensively and really love the layout. Welcome to the Airstream world. Safe travels!

The 23D Thread
Healium is offline   Reply With Quote