Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
airstream , zero
Newbies waiting for our build

Greetings, Forum! It has been my wife's dream for many years to have a travel trailer. Well, here we go! Much like the rest of you, as we looked at various brands our thoughts were spoiled by the apparent quality, craftsmanship, and tasteful decor of the Airstream line. Attending the RV Show in Denver last winter put us over the top and our purchase became inevitable.

After numerous visits to the local dealer and many hours of online searching we found an excellent price on a remaining 2012 in Boise. (Talk to Steve at the dealership if you have an interest. He was up front, intelligent, and caring.) Thinking it best to give the local AS dealer a shot at our purchase, I told him what we had found and asked if he could make a comparable offer on a new trailer. We have liftoff!

Our 2014 International Serenity 25FB will be built August 12th and we could not be more excited. It will all be new to us but are looking forward to local camping and some travel until I retire. I become (early) Social Security eligible in two days so truly enjoy the thought of being in the driver seat until I decide to get off the bus, so to speak.

Thanks for all the existing thoughts, ideas, and suggestions and surely more in the future as we get to know our new distraction.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats and welcome! I'm jealous of your impending retirement but that's just selfish on my part :-)

Congrats and enjoy! Great folks here with terrific knowledge!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Congrats, so excited for you. i am going to the factory the beginning of August, I will just miss seeing yours made;( enjoy.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!
Welcome and congrats!!! Thanks for sharing all the pics an dreams. Hope you can go for 'build week' an watch the process!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Congrats!!! On both big events !!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

airstream , zero
The Airstream has landed!

Well, after a couple of mis-steps by the dealer and/or AS, we finally closed on the trailer on September 30th. As you well know, mis-steps are also a certainty for new AS owners and I have provided so many already and we haven't even camped in our silver beauty, yet.

I hated the mirror extensions purchased from the dealer. And hated worse the angled, tight parking at our chosen storage facility. It took me over an hour to back into our assigned spot the first night we brought it home.

The mirrors are going back for a refund having been replaced by a much more user friendly set of CIPA slip-ons. The original storage lot has been abandoned for a more user-friendly spot.

Winterizing it on our own has been a multi day event but, hey, we're gettin' it!

I am convinced that AS should hire someone with a technical writing degree to create a higher quality owner's/operation manual with photos for each individual model and configuration of trailer for an enhanced owner experience. For this kind of money, owners should not have to interpret or anticipate exactly so many of the details.

Okay. Off my soapbox, looking forward to the best part of our Airstream experience when it becomes more than an object at the storage yard.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Please share missteps if you do not mind - we will be getting our AS in a few weeks

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

airstream , zero
Our first winterizing. And second. And third . . .

Actually, we think we are now complete and confident we got our 25FB ready for freezing weather while it sits in storage this winter. After our fourth effort.

- Our trailer has not been used yet. All the water that has been thru it was done by the dealer when they were delivery checking it.
- We drained everything we could read about and think of. We did not blow any of the lines out.
- For some reason, I initially thought draining was all that would be necessary but my (much) better half persistently read the owner's manual, determining there needed to be more protection.
- I can't quite recall but believe it was a 15/16" wrench (or was it 1"?) to remove the plastic nut/plug from the water heater via the outside access door.
- Now is your chance to shut off the inlet valve (that AS likes to call the "bypass") on the side of the water heater so you don't run any more water or antifreeze in the water heater.
- I dutifully poured RV antifreeze down the drains.
- I finally became convinced we needed to run antifreeze in the lines and pumps so set out to do that.
- The manual seems to insist that I needed to remove the water filter under the galley. After looking/feeling at least three times and after calling my salesperson for advice, I was finally able to determine that the filter had never been installed.
- Unlike me, be sure to close your low point drains on the underside of the trailer before running (okay, wasting) your first gallon of antifreeze.
- You can also waste more antifreeze by dutifully removing the outside shower head and inadvertently turning on one or both of the ultra-easy turning handles as you stuff the uncapped hose back in the storage door.
- It took me a half hour to determine how to find the hose access to the water pump which is behind the furnace ducting hose under the refrigerator and not accessible through the access under the wardrobe as the manual seems to indicate.
- Have a flashlight with you.
- We used a plastic bowl to pour the antifreeze in and stick the now-disconnected hose in. You can't stick the hose down into the gallon of AF because the hose end is too large to fit. Now you can run the pump, utilizing your partner to turn on (and off) each water device rotating the hot and cold positions until you see the oh-so-satisfying pink AF running out.
- I wasted quite a bit of AF with all my inadvertent open drains and faucets during my multiple efforts to complete the task so recommend saving one trip back to the store and buy (at least) two gallons when you start.
- When I stopped in to buy my fourth (!) gallon of antifreeze, I also purchased a 20" length of water supply hose and a male/male connector so I can simply stick it in the gallon container next time I want to run more on the ground.

Enjoy not making the same mistakes I did!