Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
Newbies to 1972 Overlander

Hello, I've been lurking around soaking up all your information! Visions of our airstream kept me awake all night, dancing through my head. I'm sure it's just a honeymoon phase as we haven't done any WORK yet as its being delivered today! She is (female personality I am presuming) a 1972 Overlander with doubles. A makeover needed for sure. Damn Pinterest, it's sucked me in again with endless possibilities. looking forward to learning how to make her spiffy again and take her camping!

Starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Can't wait to see the pictures. It's not just a honeymoon phase. It only gets worse as all the projects get completed one by one. With every rivet you replace you will fall more in love with her.

bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Welcome aboard. If you want to see what we've done so far with our '73 then click the blog below.

Ongoing adventures at:
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi starstruck! Welcome to the vintage Airstream community. The Overlander was / is such a popular size travel trailer. Comfortable and easy to handle. The 25 and 27 footers are still the most popular Airstream.

Your Airstream is the third year of the new body, and the third year of the Beatrice years of Airstream. Plastics were big in the RV industry during this time and Airstream jumped in with both feet. Lower costs must have been the motto. So you will have some challenges as you refurb your overlander.

Get her on your property, and start "cleaning the old girl up". Make a list of all the needs your trailer may have. Your list could be three pages long! I start from the ground up. Tires to roof vents. Don't be disappointed when you find holes in the floor, rusted rear frame members, the fridge doesn't work, the plumbing leaks like mad, and the axle rubber is as stiff as steel. It takes a lot of work and dollars to get things back to good working order.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. And be sure to visit the Airstream Knowledge Base toward the bottom of the Forums page. Click on Overlander and then click on your year range. You will see many threads about folks rebuilding these old trailers. It's fun.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
70s aluminum is my favourite!
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
That's exactly what I did today. Removed curtains and shades, began to wipe the walls down which are extremely grimy. Removing excessive hooks and add ons over the years. Ripping up the carpet in the next few days. The fridge is in good shape, it was replaced about 10 years ago. Found a tiny dried up carcass of a baby mouse. Ick.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Hamlet , Indiana
A treasure trove of information! Thank you. I look forward to reading your blog!