Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
San Francisco Bay Area , California
Newbies in the SF Bay Area

Hi!

I've been reading these forms for several months now, and finally joined when we started the paperwork for a 2017 FC 26U Queen. We pick it up next weekend!

My husband is a nurse at a great hospital in an area where we could never afford to buy/rent, and I'm about to start a 3 year nursing program! We've looked at AS off and on for years, starting with Bambi etc. with camping in mind and eventually landing on the 26U for part-time living.

We'll be in a long term site with full hook ups for the first couple of years, and planning to travel more in the future. We're complete newcomers to the AS/RV world, so I'm planning on reading, watching videos, and asking questions for years to come.

Initial questions: I've read a lot about the initial care and maintenance when traveling, and some of that will certainly apply. Are there any major things to consider about maintaining the AS while parked for 6+ months at a time at a full hook up site. We'll be just off the San Francisco Bay so we're getting an initial protective coat, planning to rinse off periodically, and planning to service and wax approximately every 6 months. Any huge issues I might be missing? Tire care? Macerating toilet issues?

Thanks for all your warmth and input. I'm excited to join the community! We're adventurers at heart, ready to love the joy and challenge of the process!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome!

Sitting for long periods is not terrible, but also not the best for running gear. Have you considered joining WBCCI and attending some of the events each year? Could expand your adventures and exercise the rig a bit.

Make sure the converter does not overcharge the batteries. A quick check of the water level periodically is a must. There are good threads on batteries and worth your time to review.

Since you will be outside, special attention to all of the roof seals is also a must. You need to watch for leaks carefully and repair any immediately.

Most important is to enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2021 20' Bambi
San Francisco Bay Area , California
Thanks for the advice! I'll be reading the battery threads and many, many others.

Although our work schedules don't allow for year-round travel, we can usually arrange 2-3 weeks off together in the summer, and are planning to do national or state park trips close to home next summer to become accustomed to traveling with the AS. Joining WBCCI is a great idea as well!