Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Charlestown , Rhode Island
Yes, we have the twins up front with a foldout table, (we can seat eight for dinner!) and a goucho across from kitchen with sink, fridge and oven.

Ours does not have roll up cabinets, but it does still have the orginal dixie cup dispenser...

If I knew how to post pics I would--can anyone tell me?
JenandGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Karma sent! Looked at the pix you posted, you've got a big project, but it'll be a lot of fun. I'll echo what Terry said - sealing the seams and getting the shell watertight is job #1. Good luck, and post pix of your progress!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #23
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
Thankyou for all the good tips. I have ordered and am anxiously awaiting a large order of "goodies" from Inland RV due in on wednesday (thanks again Denise for all the help!). I am having a hard time holding off on wall scrubbing and floor repairs, but I had come to the same conclusion as many of you have pointed out. First things first. Seal the hull and gasket all hatches and doors first. Fortunately I have 3 wonderfull kids to keep me busy [3, 5, and almost 7] so its not like I'm sitting in the carport staring at it and mopeing like a lost puppy, and sighing over a concilatory glass of Kentucky corn squeezins.(Oh to have that kind of free time!)

Jon
obxairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hmm. Maybe two twins in front lengthwise, and a double midships for the adults in the group. You can use cushions to make the twins into a large dinette with a table between, which could drop into a channel for the third bed. Since the trailer is almost a shell, maybe you could work on a center bath for your trailer, this would keep the kids from walking through your bedroom to go potty.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Welcome,

Just to save you from all the blood sweat and tears I'll give you $350. What the heck because you're so nice I'll go whole hog and give you $399.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #26
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
$399?

You are gonna have to do better than that($399.00). I had a guy offer me $1200.00 before I even hooked it up to my old tired Ford!

Jon
Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #27
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
Here's a question. I brought my Tradewind home behind my 1990 Ford F150 (4.9 Straight 6) and couldn't even feel it behind me.Lumatic, I see you have yours behind a Cooper. I have a 2004 For freestar mini-van with a front wheel drive 4.3 six cylinder. With the weight dist. anti sway hitch do y'all think it'll pull it from here (OBX NC) through the mountains of PA?

Jon
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
Bumper sticker.

I thought I would fill you in on my avatar photo. The sticker reads "If God meant for us to go nude we would have been born that way". It was on the trailer when I bought it. Any guesses on what kind of camp ground I had to go to to pick up my trailer?

Jon
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Avatars and other forum fictional characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxairstream
Here's a question. I brought my Tradewind home behind my 1990 Ford F150 (4.9 Straight 6) and couldn't even feel it behind me.Lumatic, I see you have yours behind a Cooper. I have a 2004 For freestar mini-van with a front wheel drive 4.3 six cylinder. With the weight dist. anti sway hitch do y'all think it'll pull it from here (OBX NC) through the mountains of PA?
In case you haven't figured it out yet- when it comes to Aistream stories it helps to have a Missourian attitude on life. Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. This maxim applies to my Avatar as well. I can honestly say my Cooper is in front of my Airstream

All seriousness aside, I do know someone who is a vintage Airstream dealer who regularly tows Airstreams interstate with a minivan. Maybe he will chime in.

By the way, speaking of my Avatar, after sitting in a field for 20 years I paid $500 for my Tradwind. You got me beat
Old 05-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
Lumatic,
I kinda figured as much.

Jon
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxairstream
I thought I would fill you in on my avatar photo. The sticker reads "If God meant for us to go nude we would have been born that way". It was on the trailer when I bought it. Any guesses on what kind of camp ground I had to go to to pick up my trailer?
*snort* *giggle*

I'd SO be keeping that on there, just to watch passing drivers rubberneck to see what you're wearing in your TV!
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Misc. Thoughts...

I suppose that the bumper sticker could help explain why having finished interior closet space was not any kind of priority for the former owner.

It looks like you have a great head start. From what I can see in your photos the body looks to be in good shape which is a big plus. You also have what looks like a number or reuseable interior pieces depending on what you decide to do to the interior.

I would suggest that you consider doing something about the interior mold sooner rather than later in case it is a health hazard. You could at least use a spray bottle with bleach maybe mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water to spray the walls. I would think you might want to be careful to keep it off of the cabinets depending on what you intend to do with them. I scrubbed my inner skins down after I took them out. I laid them down on the lawn and used a small floor buffer with a scrubbing pad on it to help. I guess you will have to decide if you want to take the skins out to re-insulate or not. Also if you end up having to replace the entire sub-floor you pretty much need to remove the lower level of interior panels at least.

Taking a lot of photos along the way is a great thing to do. My remodel has been taking me way too long but going back and looking at the old photos of what things used to look like helps me feel better about the progress I have made. Also it helps me remember where to put things back.

There is a huge amount of information in the Forum here that will help with just about anything imaginable for your remodel. There always seems to be someone available to answer just about any question. The good news is that pretty much everything is fixable or replaceable on your Airstream.

Malcolm
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I dunno, really most people here are of the big trucks are better camp. However, with gas prices approaching 4.00 /gallon that might change.

Contact Andy T. from Camamrv.ca (that's Canadian... : ) ). He's set up Freestars for 32 ft Airstreams. While I wouldn't really advocate a Freestar for a 32 ftr, it might be fine for your 24ftr.

Remember, your AS is basically a shell right now. Everything that you add on will add weight, so go light when thinking of cabinets, flooring, etc. It all adds up!

I'd also start taking that interior mold off soon, it can't be good for your health.

Nice find, love the bumpersticker!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #34
'69 Tradewind 25'

1969 25' Tradewind
Manteo , North Carolina
Thumbs up Interior mold

I guess I was remiss is saying that I wasn't doing anything on the Interior before I do the sealing of the hull. I've already removed all cabinets and given them and the interior skin a good once over with diluted clorox cleanup. I was amazed how much came off using just a wet rag and a light use of elbow grease. I wont get into the heavy scrubbing of the bad spots untill its dried in though.
I am so touched ...Sniff...sniff... that my new friends...snikk...sniff...are so concerned about my well being.

Jon