Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
barnehurst , Kent. UK
newbie, well sort of

Hi, I've been registered on this brilliant site and never introduced my self, to busy reading the articles etc. My name is Keith and I live in Kent [South East of London] in the UK, I have just looked when I actually joined and had a big surprise, it was in 2006. I originally joined to buy a motorhome. Earlier this year, about March I bought a 1979 24' Excella motorhome from this very site needing some refurbishment.
As I write it sits at the docks in the UK waiting to be picked up, should be in a day or two [can't wait] It's nearly 7 months. I couldn't begin to tell you the grief I've had trying to get it home, the seller also on here was very helpful and understanding [thanks Stef] and all because K Line shipping suspended there ro/ro service from the west coast [I bought it in San Diego] the day after I bought it,and I had a devil of a job getting it transported to the East Coast. I also bought a stove and awning for it again, from here [Cheers Tom] Man what a site, again a very helpful guy. One question that's been bugging me, some Airstreams have numbers painted on the roof, I presume production numbers? mine hasn't, can any one tell me more?
keith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Those are WBCCI membership numbers. There are hundreds of threads about the orginization here on the forums. You can learn more about them at the club's website as well. WBCCI.org

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

barnehurst , Kent. UK
Ah! Thanks, all is clear now
Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats on finally getting your new baby home! All the hassles you encountered will have been worth it...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith53 View Post
Earlier this year, about March I bought a 1979 24' Excella motorhome from this very site needing some refurbishment.
As I write it sits at the docks in the UK waiting to be picked up, should be in a day or two [can't wait] It's nearly 7 months. I couldn't begin to tell you the grief I've had trying to get it home, the seller also on here was very helpful and understanding [thanks Stef] and all because K Line shipping suspended there ro/ro service from the west coast [I bought it in San Diego] the day after I bought it,and I had a devil of a job getting it transported to the East Coast. I also bought a stove and awning for it again, from here [Cheers Tom] Man what a site, again a very helpful guy. One question that's been bugging me, some Airstreams have numbers painted on the roof, I presume production numbers? mine hasn't, can any one tell me more?
Welcome to the Forums, Keith! Sounds like you've definitly earned your aluminum hash marks to show true grit for the 'Stream. Hell, all we had to do was look around and decide which one... oh, and deal with a salesman whose bottom half of his head was all teeth... Hats off to you and your tenacity.

So, the first order of bid'ness are pictures! When you pick 'er up, make sure and take plenty. We're a very visual lot... BTW, what are you towing her with?

Congrats!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome - here you will find answers and great ideas. Take Care
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

barnehurst , Kent. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Welcome to the Forums, Keith! Sounds like you've definitly earned your aluminum hash marks to show true grit for the 'Stream. Hell, all we had to do was look around and decide which one... oh, and deal with a salesman whose bottom half of his head was all teeth... Hats off to you and your tenacity.

So, the first order of bid'ness are pictures! When you pick 'er up, make sure and take plenty. We're a very visual lot... BTW, what are you towing her with?

Congrats!
Thanks all for a very warm welcome, I wont be towing I hope. it's a motorhome I will be taking photos and will post them soon. I've always wanted the motorhome but now think maybe I should have got a trailer as I have a 47 Chevy suburban with a sbc and auto in it, mustang 11 front end, and 9' rear, all on air which would have made a real nice tow car. it's just I always thought the motorhome is an impressive bit of kit
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
keith'theres no reason to not get both. use the motorhome for the serious trips and later look for something smaller to pull.
this forum will help
welcome
jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote