Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

Los Angeles , California
Newbie wants feedback

Greetings everyone,

I am completely new to the AS world and am in need of 411 regarding type of AS to purchase, new or used and best vehicle to tow the trailor. I am leaning to the Sport model since I am solo. My plan is to rent one for a 10-day road trip before purchasing. Feel free to share any thoughts, small or big as I am in need of rapid learning. Thank you-Scott K
scottk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk7
Greetings everyone,

I am completely new to the AS world and am in need of 411 regarding type of AS to purchase, new or used and best vehicle to tow the trailor. I am leaning to the Sport model since I am solo. My plan is to rent one for a 10-day road trip before purchasing. Feel free to share any thoughts, small or big as I am in need of rapid learning. Thank you-Scott K

Renting an Airstream trailer, is impossible.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Renting an Airstream trailer, is impossible.

Andy
Maybe he knows something we don't know...it may be possible. Do tell Scott!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi and welcome to the party.

Airstream makes and has made a very wide group of RV's. from 16 foot Bambi's to 45 foot motorhomes.

To give you a more usefull answer can you give us a bit more detail on what you want to do with an Airstream. Weekend jaunts with an occasional longer trip. Did you want to live full time in it. Do you already have a tow vehicle. etc.

Since you mentioned the Safari Sport I'll focus on that for a moment. Great light wieght trailer with a big bath thats narrow. The most you'd need to tow that would be a 1/2 ton truck like a Ford F150. Smaller more fuel efficient vehicles can tow it too. They are great for boondocking (camping in the wilderness as opposed to a campground.)

What you have to do after you have chosen your trailer is to check the vehicle you like to check its wieght capabilities to make sure it will not only tow the wieght of the trailer (don't forget to include the wieght of people food pets etc.) and to check that the wieght of the truck and trailer do not exceed that limit too. (Yes two different limits to check.)

There is lots to learn but you can do it quickly. Use the search function and keep asking questions.

Renting an Airstream if not impossible is darn close to it. Even studios will post here trying to rent one for commercials and movies. Usually they wind up having to buy one. Thses things are rare and spendy but real reason its so hard is that Airstream owners are obsessed with their babies.

You and I live in the same area so if I can help you in any way just let me know.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Scott,
You need to narrow the field somewhat. Are you planning on using the trailer for short weekend trips, travel across the country or live in it? The other thing to consider is will you be entertaining on your travels? The size and weight of the trailer you pick will determine the tow vehicle you select and vice versa. I am partial to dual axle trailers in case you have a flat or worse, brake/bearing failure (been there, done that) so that you can remove the wheel/tire and limp to a repair facility. On a single axle trailer, if the bearings go then you have to place the trailer on a flatbed to take it to a repair facility or repair it on the side of the road which is not appealing to me.

Having said that, there is a nice '94 Sovereign 21' in the classifieds that is sharp if you are using it for everything except fulltiming. It could be pulled with either a Suburban 1500 or even the Suburban 2500 which wouldn't even know it was there. If you are looking for new, the Safari SE 23' dual axle is sharp! I saw one being built while at the Airstream factory in mid December.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Scottk7,

If you spend lots of time on these FORUMS, you'll be amazed at how much you can learn. There is more info here than you'll find any place else. Pick a thread and follow it through - read, read, and read. Just keep reading all the info that is already here. Pick a topic and read some more. No matter what you THINK you know right now, it'll change again and again. The more you read, the more you'll think about something else so just keep reading. Visit a rally or two.....talk with Airstreamers about 'streaming. You'll get more answers which will generate more questions and you'll have reason to read some more! Lucky You....to get to learn so much! For many of us, we've learned all we're going to learn (not me, I'm still new at this but my learning curve is leveling off compared to where I was six months ago.So much out there......Good Luck!!
Prodigy Brakes
Remember, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
2007 Airstream for rent

Hi Scott K -

Here's a lead on an Airstream rental. Good luck in your quest!

Airstream trailer rental