Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Peoria , Illinois
Newbie Travel Nurse!

hello everybody!
I am about to embark on a new adventure in my life by doing travel nursing as a psychiatric mental health RN. I'm currently looking at living options while I surf the couches beds of Airbnb, and I am really drawn to the design of the Airstream (what can I say, I have an eye for design and a heart for art). I am wanting to use these forums as a way to get a good education about comparing old vs new, reno vs restore etc etc. I'm aware that there is a huge learning curve for me since I don't consider myself very mechanically inclined. But then again, I've never had the opportunity to do so!
thanks for welcoming me!
nursenat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Welcome.... As you expand your education into Airstream ownership, I suggest you read this thread to reduce the time it takes to find subjects of interest.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...rk-137580.html
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Having your own RV with you sounds like the perfect way to live and work around the country.

There are many, many laborers doing just this all over the US....going where the work is, taking their homes and often families with them.

Welcome.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Shortcut Advice

You are still working - at a demanding job. You'll have to travel as part of that career.

Those facts I've gleaned from your post lead me to give this advice:
  1. you don't have the time to restore an old one yourself - doing that can be a 3 year project, not practical
  2. you need something roadworthy within XX months
  3. your budget is a mystery
  4. don't know if you've ever towed anything.
  5. don't know if you've got a vehicle capable of being a tow vehicle

So here are the short list of things to do.
  1. go to an Airforum or WBCCI rally in your area and meet lots of Airstreamers personally. If invited tour their units.
  2. (check to see if a non-owner is welcome at WBCCI rally
  3. The rally season in the north is closing down, so this weekend or next would be good
  4. go visit the factory in Jackson Center Ohio or the biggest Airstream dealer you can find, peek at everything that's available
  5. take an RV driving course - many truck driving schools teach RV classes too.
  6. Very few full timers are happy in less than 25 feet - so find an almost new or new one in that range if finances permit.
  7. start learning about tow vehicles - you're in a position where you'll have to get one that is both tow vehicle and daily driver
  8. learn a lot about Airstreaming in winter - there are perils.

Seriously - watch out for "restored or fully renovated" Airstreams - some are good, others are lipstick on the pig surface jobs, that hide floor rot, bad axles, rusty framese, etc.
For a total noob a 2 year old Airstream is usually the best bet.

Good luck, Paula
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
An Airstream is not a four season trailer. Getting a contract in the northern part of the US in winter would not be fun in an Airstream or most RVs. I met a traveling ER nurse and her contract included room and board. I would make sure the traveling RN venture works for you. You would have to be a minimalist to live out of an RV.

Kelvin
Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We appreciate our Nurses!

Yeah.. I think you will be welcomed here.. and will like, perhaps love the AS life. Depending upon one's neurosis, the space inside the AS may be restrictive... but, you can always 'go outside to change your mind'...

As said, there are RV's (SOB = Some Other Brand) which are specifically equipped for colder climes and weather. They are generally taller than AS... if it snows or water gets deep, the AS might not be as good a fit as the SOB... If you buy an SOB which has NO WOOD in the shell, that would minimize issues of floor rot like AS tend to have with poor maintenance.. or unresolved issues.

The AS has standard 'pink' insulation in the walls... but not thick enough because of distance between the outer and inner skins... also, the ribs of the AS will 'transmit' heat, in or out, because there is direct connection between those components.

Whether AS or SOB, they both depreciate. With more $ in the AS, you will 'lose' more... But, in 10-15 years, the AS, with proper maintenance, should still be in good shape!, still 'usable'... Our 1999 AS is still in service... and, yes, there have been a few 'issues'... but, with help here and good thinking, we have resolved all of them.

Good luck... and know we are always thankful for those who have answered the 'call' to be a Nurse... especially RN's...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote