Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Newbie to forum -Avion

Hi! We own a 1984 30' Avion. We have had it for two years and have enjoyed it very much. We were considering a new Airstream or a toyhauler, but after looking around, we are not impressed with what we would be getting for the money. Maybe we should stick with our Avion. The only structural problem with our Avion is the door/window. We did not secure the door and it flew open as we came off the interstate. Window broke....(flew out, lost it on the side of the road) and the door is bent. We can still close it, but it does not lie flat. We covered the window hole with aluminum foil.....it has been that way since May! We took it on two more trips since then. Will it be hard to find a new door/window? Should we suck it up and forget the toyhauler and go for the Airstream? Are they made just as well as the older models? I'm afraid we will regret getting rid of our Avion! What do you think? Help!

megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forums!
You should be able to find a new-used door/window. If you search and be patient!
BTW, We spend a few months in your area each winter, for the last four years.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
where do you stay? You don't happen to store your airstream do you while you are here do you. we noticed an airstream in a nearby storage lot and then one day it was gone....wondered who owned it......
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
We are off of Hammock Rd, end of Dec through mid April. I have noticed one Airstream stored near there, but have not met the owners. Our trailer is right here with us in NC, since we use our trailer all seasons. We are headed out next week to where it is cooler in the mountains!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Do you stay at Highlands Hammock State Park, or at the RV Park near US 27?
We saw an Airstream there this winter...
How long have you had Airstreams? We wanted one when we found our Avion. We just bought a new truck with the intention of getting a new(er) Airstream. Then we started looking at toy haulers, which are not made to last. We also found out that our truck won't haul a 5th wheel (at least not the one we wanted!) So, now we are back to an Airstream. We looked at those, but still wonder if they are made s well as our old Avion? Have you ever been to the Super RV show at the Tampa Fairgrounds? I am thinking we should go there in January......
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Check with Cayo in Michigan. They may be able to give you some info on the door and window.

As far as Airstreams go, they are nice trailers, but I don't think that they are any better than the Avion. Some of the AS have been having frame issues. I would stick with the one you already own and just fix it up.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
I suggested to my hubby that we contact Cayo to see if we could get a new door/window...we will try that. Are all the Airstreams having frame problems or just the newer models?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Smile Try Inland RV in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
Hi! We own a 1984 30' Avion. We have had it for two years and have enjoyed it very much. We were considering a new Airstream or a toyhauler, but after looking around, we are not impressed with what we would be getting for the money. Maybe we should stick with our Avion. The only structural problem with our Avion is the door/window. We did not secure the door and it flew open as we came off the interstate. Window broke....(flew out, lost it on the side of the road) and the door is bent. We can still close it, but it does not lie flat. We covered the window hole with aluminum foil.....it has been that way since May! We took it on two more trips since then. Will it be hard to find a new door/window? Should we suck it up and forget the toyhauler and go for the Airstream? Are they made just as well as the older models? I'm afraid we will regret getting rid of our Avion! What do you think? Help!

Try Inland RV and ask for Andy
But really..... Get thevreal deal.... Getvan Airstream
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just guessing, but a new or used door (or the cost to repair) must be less than the price of a new(er) trailer. If that is the only problem with your Avion, I'd fix/replace the door. Plus, if you are considering a newer but used Airstream, there very likely could be additional costs for needed modifications and repairs, in addition to the cost of the trailer.

Just an opinion from someone who kept several tow vehicles longer than they should have...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Resource for Door Repair

Call or email Dan Matthews at Capital City Customs, Inc. in Raleigh, NC. He has the ability to fabricate parts and has done some door work on Airstreams. I have not personally used him but several members of my WBCCI unit have been pleased with his work. Dan restores all brands of vintage trailers and does custom work.

dmatthews@capitalcitycustomsinc.com
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I'd contact Cayo Repair and Colaw's to see what parts/options are available to you.

Here is their contact information:

Cayo
4835 N M 140
Watervliet, MI 49098
269-463-5068

www.colawrvsalvage.com

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Thanks to all who responded to my plea. I did call Cayo this morning and we can get a window replacement. We will deal with the door...it's not that bad. Hopefully my hubby can pound it out.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Megan,

We were just at Cayo on our way to the Michigan rally less than 2 weeks ago. I am really glad they can help you. Chuck Cayo is very knowledgeable and so nice! Do you have any photos of what your door looks like now? Our avion unfortunately has a long dent/crease in the side where it looks like it's flown open more than once.

The door should be "fixable". I know my husband did something with a 2x4 and pressure on the door when it was still on it's hinges and it worked amazingly well, but I don't really know what/where he put the pressure and such. There really wasn't much "pounding" more like concentrated pressure.

I think just about everyone's trailer has some "scars" they make for conversation when you meet up around the campfire. Don't trade it in just for a dent!

And, I don't think I'd ever trade in my Avion for an AS. I love ours and while I may one day own both, I secretly think my Avion is the best trailer in the whole wide world. I think I love it too much...

Welcome to the forums!

Tina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040199.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	947.0 KB
ID:	165709