Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Newbie taking off

Hi All,

I'm a newbie at this. I'm leaving my job, and thinking of buying a 19 ft bambi, and taking off with my wife & two maine coone cats. Leaving from NC going to Nova Scotia across Canada to Alaska & back. Help! Where is the best place to buy? Thanks.

levi
levi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Levi, welcome! That sounds like it will be an amazing trip. I'm sure folks will be chiming in buying tips soon. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Levi, Wow! No half measures for you.

Welcome in. Folks will start giving suggestions on where to buy in a moment.

If you are new to R.V'ing let me offer a suggestion.

Make sure you fit comfortably in the "Throne room" and that you both are comfortable with the bed size.

Good luck and have fun.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I agree with above regarding size and comfort of bathroom and bed. It sounds like you plan on spending a fair amount of time travelling.
Will your tow vehicle restrict you to 19'? Will a 19' be big enough? Find a dealership and spend some time in one.
As for where to buy...are you looking for new or used?
If used, there is a classified section here on the forums, look near the top of the screen. If new, a reputable A/S dealer, you may have to travel to deal with them.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Are you thinking new or used?

What do you plan to tow with?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Levi,
Welcome to the airstream world.
I would seriously consider Airstream of Spokane. My dealing with sutton are they are interested in selling you a trailer but service is another issue.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
Only a 19?

Unless you've had an RV or two, remember: most people buy too small, not too large. Where will you sit? Where will the TV be? Will you have to convert the couch into a bed every night? I picture the little ones (21' and down) best for two or three night trips, maybe up to a week or so; the big ones (26' and up) as semi-permanent small apartments and the middle ones (22-25) as the long range travellers. Of course I could be wrong.
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Levi,

Welcome to the Air Forums - what a great trip.

One piece of advice - Think about a two axle Airstream over a single axle. It may mean the difference in getting into town or being stuck way out in the middle of no where waiting on a part.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by plossl
Unless you've had an RV or two, remember: most people buy too small, not too large. Where will you sit? Where will the TV be? Will you have to convert the couch into a bed every night? I picture the little ones (21' and down) best for two or three night trips, maybe up to a week or so; the big ones (26' and up) as semi-permanent small apartments and the middle ones (22-25) as the long range travellers. Of course I could be wrong.
Now how could anyone detect bias in that ? The best for traveling are what? 22-25? Wait, what size do you have?

Welcome levi, I agree with the above. Try the restroom, the bed room and try to imagine what you will do inside if your stuck for a day or two.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Just trying to stir the pot. Besides, it isn't bias; some people want an apartment and some want a weekender. More power to 'em. Some live in Bambis for years. But I don't use a tack hammer on a 16 penny nail or a sledge on a brad. I think there is some rationale to what I said. And maybe some bias. I am a proud new owner.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
I am a proud new owner.
Congrats!
I was just pokin' fun...no offense intended
I could probably get by with 6' shorter but it is nice having the bed in the middle and the sofa in the front.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd check with George Sutton RV. I've heard good things about them.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Size

Up until a year ago, I had a 25' Safari. A big rig changed that for me.
I now have a 21' GT.
Even with just 2 (3 if our daughter is with us) of us I much prefer the 25' in terms of comfort and livability - especially if weather keeps you indoors. A couple of rainy days can sure seem to shrink the inside of a trailer.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Only a 19'

Quote:
Ploss, Here's my thinking: First off you are probably right. Frankly I haven't been in a 19', but the pictures seem comfortable enough. I'm thinking about the ease of towing a smaller trailer, getting in & out of places, plus the economics of a lighter trailer. I will be towing with a 2004 Tacoma V6 4 wheel dr. In some ways don't you think smaller is easier & more economical. Plus I would rather be outside than in. On rainy days there is the computer, reading, & cooking. Also I would think there is less to keep up with a smaller trailer. It seems to me if I were going to get a larger one, say 25', I would want to park it & leave it as an apartment in some interesting place along the ocean on either coast if that is possible. Also converting the couch into a bed doesn't sound to great, but I would think sometimes we would just leave it down-maybe.
levi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi2
Ploss, Here's my thinking: First off you are probably right. Frankly I haven't been in a 19', but the pictures seem comfortable enough. I'm thinking about the ease of towing a smaller trailer, getting in & out of places, plus the economics of a lighter trailer. I will be towing with a 2004 Tacoma V6 4 wheel dr. In some ways don't you think smaller is easier & more economical. Plus I would rather be outside than in. On rainy days there is the computer, reading, & cooking. Also I would think there is less to keep up with a smaller trailer. It seems to me if I were going to get a larger one, say 25', I would want to park it & leave it as an apartment in some interesting place along the ocean on either coast if that is possible. Also converting the couch into a bed doesn't sound to great, but I would think sometimes we would just leave it down-maybe.
We got a 19ftr in June and traded it for a 25ftr in August. You see according to the pictures everything looked big enough. The bed was way too small and it was a circus trick to use the throne with the door closed and we are of average size.

It occurs to me that for the same price as a 1-2 year old 19 you can get a brand new Safari SSport in 22ft. Its not a wide body and lighter. The downside is your bed is a sofa by day. The upside is a big bath and light wieght.

The wisest thing to do is to go to a dealership and get in the trailers. KNow what works and what doesnot. That will save you lots of money and grief.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
The tow vehicle baseline

Quote:
Ploss, Here's my thinking: First off you are probably right. Frankly I haven't been in a 19', but the pictures seem comfortable enough. I'm thinking about the ease of towing a smaller trailer, getting in & out of places, plus the economics of a lighter trailer. I will be towing with a 2004 Tacoma V6 4 wheel dr.
The Tacoma V6 is a limiting factor, especially in the mountains, I think your options in the new market will be the smallest Airstreams, the new Sport, I think it's a 17', and the 16' Bambi. Just my guess, but unless you change tow vehicles or buy an older, lighter model, those two are probably your choice.

As for where to purchase, I agree, if new, pick a dealer with a reputation for good service.

John
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Levi2-
A Tacoma V6 is a strong truck, but I see your point. I have to agree with going lighter. Remember that you'll probably pack half a ton of equipment into your truck and trailer as well. You need something light. But if cost were no object, what would your tow vehicle and trailer of choice be for this trip?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Maybe reconsider that point.....

Quote:
Smaller trailers and bigger trailers (to a point and I am talking 16' Bambi to the 25' model range) have all the same equipment except you increase the distance between each item. They all have the same to keep up with..... To a certian extent they each have a fridge, stove (OK - maybe not an oven in the 16' Bambi) bed, table, tanks etc. So, it's more what you feel comfortable in and what you can pay for.

Maybe, you're thinking storage - well that will go out the window when you load that 16' up and see it is contructed at near its max towing weight.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
sales maybe not service....

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Buy a big one!
I wouldn't take the chance that by the time you've travelled, relaxed, chilled and so on.... ....you might need to accommodate more than two by the time you get back!