Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
2008 16' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Smile Newbie- Safari Sport 17'

Hello Everyone,

We're total novices but we're absolutely excited about learning everything we can to live the enjoy our new Airstream! I'm semi-retired (25 years of 'Corporate') and my wife is within a year of retiring. We also have a super-active Boston Terrier that we plan on taking with us, but that seems to be the least of our problems.

Does anyone have any 'newbie' suggestions on the things that are really necessary to know? I've read some things about 'no covers' for the Airstream but then I need to knowkl how to clean it. I've read about a bunch of products, Walbernize Super Seal and such, but what is the best thing to wash and clean it with?

Also, we went to Camping World and thought we'd have everything 'revealed' to us but I still have questions. We bought new black water hoses, the thickest kind we could find, but I still have questions about what type of fittings are most common, not to our Airstream but to the different connections at the dumping station. I bought some '6 way valve' converter and a rubber contraption but I really ldon't know what I expect to encounter when we go to the first capmsite? I'd really hate to get there and not have what I needed?

Anyway, maybe some of you may remember what it was like to 'not know what you don't know' when you first started so any information or advice wouold be much appreciated!

PS - We really love our Airstream! We had to look at other things because of the weight limitations but we were totally surprised when we saw the new models that came in 1000 lbs. under the previous models. Maybe some day after some experience, we'll 'graduate' to a legitimate Airstream, but for now we're still trying to learn the basics. Thanks to all you 'pro's' and I look forward to any help you can lend!

GWB 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, GWB...welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Aistream! I hate to burst your bubble, but you have a legitimate Airstream already! The Sports are the latest on the scene...they are very cool...and being quite well-received...we welcome you with open Airstream arms!

Please don't feel shy about asking questions...that's one of th reasons all these kind folks are here...we were all new to this at one time. Besides, it sounds like you are well-prepared for the task of connecting to the sewer system...between your universal connector and the rubber thingy you should be ready for anything you encounter... You really only need the connectors if you are at a campsite that has a sewer hook-up...because at the community dump stations it is usually a matter of sticking the end of the hose in the hole (perhaps weighting it to make sure it stays there...there's usally a rock nearby that others have used for that purpose) and then let her rip... It's a temporary thing, so you don't have to do a full-fledged connection...

Hint #1: If you are connected to a sewer hook up at the campsite, don't leave the dump valves open the whole time. "Save up" the contents until you need to empty the tanks because the holding tanks need the built-up liquid to carry out the solid waste...dump the black water first, close the valve and then dump the grey water. This will help clean out the hose with grey water, which is less "noxious" than the black water and has little or no solid material in it.

Hint #2: When dumping at a dump station: Again, dump the black water first....when the black tank is empty, close the black water valve and dump the grey above, this will help "rinse" out the hose and get lingering solids all the way through the hose... At dump sites there's usually a non-potable water hose to further rinse the hose...leave the one end in the sewer hole, disconnect the other end from the trailer and flush water through the hose toward the sewer until you're happy that it's cleaned out...

Another thing to remember is that if you are in a campground and you have a problem or are at a loss what to do, just ask a neighbor or the camp host...they will understand that you're new to it and 99% of the time they will be more than willing to help you out. We were assisted by a fellow camper our first time out...and they never thought less of us for asking for help.

Ask. We are happy to help if we can...

Have fun and we'll see you down the road!

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forumss. We're glad to have you with us.

Ditto on the above info. It's super important to never let the black tank go dry.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Hi and welcome!

What a cool trailer! I love the sport models and yes they are really legitimate Airstreams. ( I was at their parents wedding.)

Well you have a lot of questions and we have a lot of answers. So ask away.

If you want to take the shortcut on the Airstream info highway... The Cal Streamers is a bunch of So Cal Airstreamers who met on the Forums here and we go somewhere almost every month and you are invited to play along with us. No rules, fees or dues. Just load up everybody in the house and the pooch and come along. Some of us will be in Death Valley tween Christmas and New Years and others will be there right after New Years. Also there's a bigger trip in Jan. to Vail lake near Temecula. As always everyone is invited. Check out the Cal streamers on the Portal page

We'll help you with everything you want help with but in return we get to drool over your trailer.

See you soon around the campfire.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new SS as we have ours.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hi GW and welcome Aboard ! 
Name:   icon_cheers.gif
Views: 652
Size:  2.7 KB

DITTO on what "Goin" said. If you want to find out all the TOP SECRET info on strem'n, you've got to come to the get togethers we have. As you may have noticed, there are many of us within and around the L.A. area.

Once again, welcome!.
2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Maybe some day after some experience, we'll 'graduate' to a legitimate Airstream,
Hmm - there is nothin illegitimate at all about the A/S Sport. Some buy a Classic, some the Safari, others a Bambi or Sport. To each their own, and welcome to the family!
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Hi GWB and welcome to the Airstream community!

You've got a 17' Airstream ... stop and think about that for a minute. You own an Airstream! It's an American icon and the greatest trailer ever built! It doesn't matter what length it is, it's an Airstream for crying out loud!

- Double-check all your connections when you hitch up and make sure that the ball is fully seated and the catch locked down

- Be sure to turn your water pump off just in case something should spring a leak while you are towing

- Propane tanks off while towing

- Start you refrigerator at least 48 hours before you plan to leave and Pre-chill everything that you put into your refrigerator (if you can) or you will have a heck of a time cooling everything down

- Get a thermometer for the refrigerator and check it frequently until you learn what setting keeps everything at about 36 degrees. Things at the top will get colder and/or freeze before things at the bottom

'bout all I can think of at the moment. Have fun!
COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Originally Posted by COLORADO_CAMPER

- Get a thermometer for the refrigerator and check it frequently until you learn what setting keeps everything at about 36 degrees. Things at the top will get colder and/or freeze before things at the bottom
Easy and better. Spend the $12.00 at camping world for the dinky little fridge fan. Runs on two D batts and circulates the air in the fridge. Keeps the entire fridge the same temp.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote