Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Talking Newbie RV'r in Cypress, Texas

Hello Folks,
Not only have my wife and I taken the plunge into the RV world for the first time, but we also dove deep with the purchase of an Airstream Int'l. Serenity 28. Most friends and relatives think we're nuts (and have to admit, I keep asking myself "why do these things cost so much more than others?"), I do believe we've made a reasonably wise decision. Camped in her the first couple of nights we had it, and absolutely felt at home.

I retired last August, and my wife is retiring from teaching at the end of this month (May). So, we're off into a new phase of our lives, in style and comfort (but less a few bucks, which weren't doing much sitting in the bank anyway).

We live near Houston, but bought out unit in Baton Rouge, where we had the most awesome buying experience. To top that off, we met some of the nicest folks in the RV park on the way home (those Louisiana folks are super friendly, and know how to have a good time).

Hoping to meet some of you down the road!

Kelly and Shelly Cox
Cypress, TX
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 AM   #2
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Newbie RV'r in Cypress, Texas

Kelly & Shelly-

First of all welcome to airforums and congratulations on your new coach! Many of us spent several years going through different iterations of RVs until we landed on Airstream so I congratulate you on eliminating all of those trade-ins and money wasted!

You found a great information portal on this forum so study up and we wish you the best in your travels.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats on your new AS and welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly folks on this forum as well who will gladly assist you in any way possible.

Wishing you many happy and safe journeys!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Welcome and congrats! We're right up the road from you in Montgomery, and relatively new to travel trailers ourselves. Post some pictures when you get a chance--we love pictures! Not sure if you're thinking about joining the WBCCI or not, but if you do, there seems to be a bit of an existential crisis in the Texas Hill Country Unit. We're new members to that unit, and there's talk of decommissioning it (low turnout at monthly rallies). There's several other units to look at in our region, though. Look forward to meeting you guys one day!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Welcome

Let us know how we can help!
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

A dozen years ago we had recently retired and started RVing with a new Airstream. We have now past 1,800 nights and 160,000 miles in out Airstream. We have been all over this great country. You are going to love Airstreaming.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You are nuts...so am I....bought our new unit almost 4 years ago and I could not be happier so far...and look forward to many more years of RV'ing in my airstream with my family and into retirement (in about 25 or so more years).

You are gonna get all those well known annoying questions/statements:

"wow, how much that sucker cost huh?"

"they still make those things, bet they are expensive?"

"WHOA, for that much you could have bought a 5th wheel!"

etc...

Hopefully you will not end up with far too many or severe QC issues that will spoil your expectations.

Best of luck....and post photos!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Congrats and welcome!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycox7 View Post
Hello Folks,
Not only have my wife and I taken the plunge into the RV world for the first time, but we also dove deep with the purchase of an Airstream Int'l. Serenity 28. Most friends and relatives think we're nuts (and have to admit, I keep asking myself "why do these things cost so much more than others?"), I do believe we've made a reasonably wise decision. Camped in her the first couple of nights we had it, and absolutely felt at home.

I retired last August, and my wife is retiring from teaching at the end of this month (May). So, we're off into a new phase of our lives, in style and comfort (but less a few bucks, which weren't doing much sitting in the bank anyway).

We live near Houston, but bought out unit in Baton Rouge, where we had the most awesome buying experience. To top that off, we met some of the nicest folks in the RV park on the way home (those Louisiana folks are super friendly, and know how to have a good time).

Hoping to meet some of you down the road!

Kelly and Shelly Cox
Cypress, TX
Dear Kelly & Shelly,

I guess I'm nuts as well - took possession of a 2016 Classic last March - our first recreational vehicle. Plan to retire within 12 months. Have taken several trips including a wonderful 3 week trip last October to the North Rim Grand Canyon, southern AZ and Big Bend. Diane and I are loving the experiences.

FYI, I just joined the WBCCI's Texas Coastal Plains Unit which is mostly Houston area based as I understand it. At this point, I have only had an intro call with membership chairperson Jo Goodwin - very nice and welcoming. Jo informed me that there are 75 AS rigs in the TX Plains Unit!

So, as a relative newbie myself, welcome. I hope to see you on the road.

Dennis Roberts
Houston, Texas
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Wow, thanks for all the good wishes and welcome messages! I feel better already about some of my buyer's remorse. It's wearing off quickly, as I wheeled it up to the house tonight (getting ready for the weekend) and have just enjoyed polishing the wheels and staring at it.

I'll have to check out the WBCCI some of you folks have mentioned. I'd not yet heard of "it", but guessing it's an Airstream rally group or something. Will check it out.

Thanks Again!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Camano Island , Washington
Welcome! We just picked up our International 28 on Wednesday! We've been dreaming of an Airstream for years. We're super excited to be part of this community, I hope you enjoy it as much as we're planning to!
noeljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeljoy View Post
Welcome! We just picked up our International 28 on Wednesday! We've been dreaming of an Airstream for years. We're super excited to be part of this community, I hope you enjoy it as much as we're planning to!
Ditto to you! Sitting under the awning right now, listening to the crickets in Bastrop State Park in Texas. Took me a whopping 15 minutes to set up; getting the hang of it. Congrats on your rig!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Kelly & Shelly- welcome to the forums! We just bought out Serenity 30 in Texas, and Leah and I were so knocked out with everyone we met there. Texans are the nicest folks in the world!

The experiences we had in Texas are making us think of becoming "winter Texans" when the cold comes around again...

All the best to you both and your family!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masondood View Post
Kelly & Shelly- welcome to the forums! We just bought out Serenity 30 in Texas, and Leah and I were so knocked out with everyone we met there. Texans are the nicest folks in the world!

The experiences we had in Texas are making us think of becoming "winter Texans" when the cold comes around again...

All the best to you both and your family!

Come on down! I've seen lots of "winter Texans" over in the Hill Country of Texas in the RV Parks. There's room enough for everyone. I've got work friends from Calgary, so I've heard about your winters. Congrats on your new rig....looks like it'll have more closet space than our 28', but we're content for now
Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"How much did it cost?"
- a buncha shiny coins
- I don't know.. I just stole it...
- I am doing a test run for a friend... Hope I don't have to pay for it..
- I don't know.. I am just sitting here.. walked by and the chairs were empty and I am tired.

Welcome! Yes.. you are insane.. too..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote