Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Wink Newbie ready for first REAL trip

Hi,
My husband, cat Pepper and I will embarking on our first real trip with our 2017 20ft flying cloud WBCC #31045 (Midwest-Region 8). We took delivery last fall, had one night at Horse tooth Reservoir in Ft. Collins, winterized "in the field", and drove back to NE with 40 mph wind gusts and dropping temps (thank you to all who suggested winterizing if the possibility exists of freezing temps). Needless to say, it was AWESOME and terrifying all at the same time. I have "officially" joined the forum because now our trip is fast approaching and I have come to love the advise I get from y'all and want to be able to actually ask questions as the need arises.

Sincerely,
Wendy & John Vann

wvann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Congratulations on getting out and enjoying your new Airstream. I love this forum. Real advice from real owners that have been there and done that with the same model or at least understand the difference between the models. Whatever questions you have you will get pretty great advice here. Have fun!

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Second those congratulations on your coach acquisition. The 20fter is well liked by many and there is a dedicated thread to support them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...127845-97.html

Do you have a plan for a destination yet? Cabella's out West off I80 might be fun. The Abilene attractions to the SW of you are of some historic interest. Hamilton over in Missouri is a destination if you have quilting interests. Wallace State park is a nice stay that is not too far from Hamilton.

Post your pictures. We want to see your smiles. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Welcome to the forums!
Will little Pepper your cat be on a leash.
My late cat Angel,loved to walk on a leash.
She was an in door cat with all of her claws.
I thought it was pretty neat,for her to explore,in the wild.
Our new rescue Brandy, was a barn cat.
No chance of a leash with her LOL.
Welcome again.

Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for the link to the 20ft feed!! We are doing a marathon trip of two weeks in the southeast, MO, KY, MS, AL, LA and then heading home from Baton Rouge after watching an LSU baseball game. Hopefully the weather cooperates :O)

Wendy
Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Welcome to the forums!
Will little Pepper your cat be on a leash.
My late cat Angel,loved to walk on a leash.
She was an in door cat with all of her claws.
I thought it was pretty neat,for her to explore,in the wild.
Our new rescue Brandy, was a barn cat.
No chance of a leash with her LOL.
Welcome again.

Tom
Yes, Tom she is used to a leash (sort of)... Do your cats need to scratch? do you just use a portable scratching post? Our cat has one in the house that she uses all the time and I want to make sure she doesn't ruin the inside of the AS with her claws.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Should make a nice Spring trip. Keep an ear to the weather reports so the tornadoes don't sneek up on you and keep an eye out for the good parks, good pie, and good folks. A baseball game in the spring is a great way to celebrate the American dream with your shiny. Great idea for a First Real Trip.

Drive safe and post those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Airstreaming from Colorado: We have driven over the great plains many times. We have fought the high winds many times. At least the Airstream isn't one of those square boxes I see leaning leeward in strong crosswinds. I just reduce speed and hang on.

Airstream adventure.

I also learned to watch the weather like a good pilot does. If heavy thunderstorms are forecast where we are traveling, we stay put, or maybe travel 90 degrees from them and try to go around. I've been hailed on in Murdo, SD, and it was my fault for not believing my eyes. That big black cloud won't bother, will it?

Airstream adventure.

Then the cat adventure we had was when "camping" in my son's driveway our cat bolted out the door. I gave chase to no avail of course, so I just watched the cat with my flashlight. The cat ran up on a neighbor's porch. I stand on the sidewalk calling "here kitty, here kitty" in a high voice of course. Finally the cat came to me and I took him back to the trailer. Ten minutes later the police are banging on the trailer door. Window peeper they called me. I explained, and the officer believed me. I wanted to apologize and explain to the neighbor, but the officer advised against it. Dumb cat.

Anyways, have a great time on your first trip. It's an adventure.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote