Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Newbie project

Hello

Brief intro. I am a long time admirer/first time purchaser as of 1 year ago. I had been looking at the forums for a while so I knew what I was getting into. I had a suspicion that I would need to do repairs to the rear bathroom, at least cosmetic. The sink had a hole in it that I somehow did not notice upon purchase.
But the real fun began when I began to address the leak at the base of the toilet. I am still following that rabbit down the hole. My rear bath is now completely gutted and I just removed the floor yesterday and began to prep the frame. This will be a partial shell on because I am currently living in it! Sound like fun?
Anyway, I have already made a coupla posts and gotten some really good feedback and I have learned so much from what others have shared. But I have many many many questions (did I mention many?). I really enjoy the detective work (P.O. or airstream?) Thanks in advance.

Richard
rippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ask away! Someone will be able to answer. Must be "breezy" in there with no floor in the bathroom! Good luck and welcome!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Richard we're glad to ave you with us. The joys of RV ownership involve maintenance and <<sigh>> repairs. Minno can write a book or three on the subject. Hang in tree and keep us posted on your progress

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Thanks for the welcome(s). And, it is a little breezy, but not too bad. Fortunately (or not), just previous to the rear demolition I required the purchase/installation of a new Atwood Heat Pump from Camping World (almost made it through the summer!) The whole Camping World experience was a fiasco. Any one else experience this with them?
So my current experience can be summed up as camping in a hard tent with all my tools, nice bed, toaster, air conditioner/heat, no facilities or running water inside, and nowhere near the legroom of my other tent (and the same amount of available counterspace). Fortunately the weather has been great, but the next two nights are supposed to be below freezing. And I knew the limitations of the heat pump below 40 and like a dufus did not look into a heating strip at time of purchass. Not sure if one is available, for my unit but will be looking into it.
And if anyone in the DFW/Wylie area would like some cheap entertainment-- come on by. I could really use any advice or wisdom I can get. I keep thinking "I need to post that question" and then never do it. But I check the forums regularly. Thanks all. Questions to follow...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You might want to head out and buy one of those cheap electric utility heaters (sometimes referred to as a "milkhouse" heater). Even at only 1500 watts, one of these will take the chill off. I put one in my GT last weekend to see how well it would do, and even without insulation in my walls, or inner skins, I was able to make it comfortable. If you need to temporarily cover up the hole in your bathroom floor, some cardboard boxes and a padded moving blanket will work wonders.

If the wood in your rear end is all rotten, then you may also be suffering from rear-end separation, in which case, you may have sustained some damage to the back panel where it rivets to the little metal hold-down plate. It will be hard to see, as these rivets are underneath the trim. Also, as long as you are in there, have a good look at the condition of your frame. I had to completely replace ~3' of frame in mine.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Thanks again, Belegedhel.

You called it. As in my other sad thread, that end panel is a goner. I so hate that because I was so impressed with the all the rear overhead, side and back rivet work when I tore into it. There is no sign of leaks from rivets, which I expected there to be. But there was clearly a steady stream coming in over the bumper, which I did not expect. I noticed the corrosion, but thought it was only affecting the surface and could be cleaned off. I never even gave it much of a second glance. Oh well, the restoration continues...

As for heat, besides the heat pump I also have a vornado. Works okay.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When you rebuild that rear area, a common practice is to insert small "L" shaped sheets of aluminum in between the metal plate and the rear panel skin so that the vertical part of the "L" is inside the skin, and the horizontal part of the "L" extends out toward the bumper trunk. This, in theory, will channel the water away from the rear of your trailer and help keep it away from the wood. You will also want to seal up the replacement wood you put in there with several coats of polyurethane, especially along the edges.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote