Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Newbie -- not in the know

Hello, I have two questions.
1) we own a used 94 Excella. Is there a way to remove the oxide discolouration from the front aluminum panels?

2) The sofa needs to be redone. It feels like we are sitting in a large inner tube on the pasanger side. Is it possible (easliy?) to remove the sofa and to install two recliners?

I may be asking this in the wrong forum but to be honest I have forgoten how to get to the one for newbies like me.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Brian
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Brian, and welcome to Airforum!

This IS the place to come for the information you are seeking, and folks will chime in with the oxide treatment possibilities.

My only point I want to make is that while it is certainly possible (and I don't think too difficult) to remove and replace the front couch (often called a "gaucho" here) with recliners, you are then also removing two sleeping spots, and under-couch storage.

Consider that carefully before you do it, and remember that anything like a couch can be easily rebuilt by furniture repair places local to you, no need for specialized trailer people to do that work. Sounds like a spring or two has gone, that's not rocket surgery to re-do.

We've been to Napanee, and I love that bakery on the main street downtown! Great food!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Brian,

Others have done it. One other consideration is the battery boxes. On my 1983 34' Excella they are located under the front couch.

Take a look at the sofa that Steve (soldiermedic) installed: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...inc-40657.html. Is even nicer than it looks in the photos.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Your in the right place

Now that your here....look here. Welcome.Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - Pull out couch-new condition! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That's a beautiful couch, and looks to be in amazing condition! Bit of a drive from Oakland, CA to Napanee, ON though.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Thanks again

Thanks to each of you for your advice. I am doubly pleased as for some reason I wasn't sure how to get back to find my question and to see if there were responses.
In regards to the gaucho, maybe it is best to have it repaired. I will talk to my wife although she may want to tough it out given the high cost of things here in Canada. Hers is the drivers side of the gaucho while I sit in the death valley depression on the opposite with two layers of cushions underneath.
We do value the storage under the gaucho which is a very good point. I have tried to repair the face plate on this under gaucho dreawer as it has pulled off on one side.
Would you have any advice on how to affix or to reattach this drawer faceplate?

Regards
Brian

P.S. To Aage, if you are ever in Napanee and want 'the best" hamburger stop at "Spuds" adjacent to the Esso Gas Station on Center street and ask for a K.T. Burger. They are special.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Brian we had the front couch in our 78 Excella redone here in Richmond Hill and we just removed the cushion and took it to an upholstery shop and they did an amazing job duplicating the entire sofa including new foam and coverings. It looked like a factory job. I think there are pics on our profile. We since traded it in and just got a 99 Classic Limited this month, but I can get you the contact info for the shop if interested ...

Regards Rob
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hobin View Post
We do value the storage under the gaucho which is a very good point. I have tried to repair the face plate on this under gaucho dreawer as it has pulled off on one side.
Would you have any advice on how to affix or to reattach this drawer faceplate?
Don't quite know what you mean. Can you take some good clear closeups, Brian?

Quote:
P.S. To Aage, if you are ever in Napanee and want 'the best" hamburger stop at "Spuds" adjacent to the Esso Gas Station on Center street and ask for a K.T. Burger. They are special.
Will do, next time we're there! Something about Napanee I liked. Maybe it was how friendly the few people were that we happened to speak to.

Stick around Brian, you'll find a lot of good help here. If you want to post pictures, try www.photobucket.com to do it rather than the built-in photo system. If you take a few minutes to understand Photobucket, you'll find you can post good-sized pictures easily, and without the limits the forum software imposes.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Wow, and thank you bob for your response. The pictures left me amazed & impressed. May I ask what firm you went to for the recushioning?
A second question has to do with the storage drawer below the gaucho. Your appears to be wood facing. Is that the original surface? There is fabric over the outer surface of ours. I am trying to figure out how to reattach it to the drawer as it has pulled off on the left side. I tried shoing toothpicks into the holes on the inside and applying glue to the screws but it wasn't able to hold at all. I am debating if I shuld use bolts and washers but that would appear a bit unsightly. Would you have any thoughts.
Regards
Brian
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Thank you, I will take a few photos and post them. Oh, the things that I never think of---- Suggestions from a knowledge base is appreciated.
Regards
Brian
Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Quote:
Wow, and thank you bob for your response. The pictures left me amazed & impressed. May I ask what firm you went to for the recushioning?
A second question has to do with the storage drawer below the gaucho. Your appears to be wood facing. Is that the original surface? There is fabric over the outer surface of ours. I am trying to figure out how to reattach it to the drawer as it has pulled off on the left side. I tried shoing toothpicks into the holes on the inside and applying glue to the screws but it wasn't able to hold at all. I am debating if I shuld use bolts and washers but that would appear a bit unsightly. Would you have any thoughts.
Regards
Brian
Brian I just realized yours is a 94, and the couch is a whole different setup. You may need to remove the unit as a whole and take it to a local upholstery shop and have them recover it (and put new foam in.) This could be quite expensive. Second option would be to find a used replacement somewhere. Third option is to learn upholstery yourself. I think sticking a standard couch in there is not possible because of all the electric stuff under there.

Re re-attaching the fabric on the front panel, you may need to look at (fabric covered / ornamental) buttons you can screw in the the front surface to hold the fabric in place. Try WalMart sewing department.

Regards Rob
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTE797 View Post
Re re-attaching the fabric on the front panel, you may need to look at (fabric covered / ornamental) buttons you can screw in the the front surface to hold the fabric in place. Try WalMart sewing department.

Regards Rob
Thanks Bob, I will follow up
Regards
Brian
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
sorry for my tardyness

Hello, I apologize in not responding sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Don't quite know what you mean. Can you take some good clear closeups, Brian?

Will do, next time we're there! Something about Napanee I liked. Maybe it was how friendly the few people were that we happened to speak to.

Stick around Brian, you'll find a lot of good help here. If you want to post pictures, try www.photobucket.com to do it rather than the built-in photo system. If you take a few minutes to understand Photobucket, you'll find you can post good-sized pictures easily, and without the limits the forum software imposes.