Old 07-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Unhappy Newbie needs advice/help

Hi Airstreamers!

Up to now I have been a tent camper. I now have a 2 year old son and am very interesting in taking him and his mama camping and am ready to get my feet wet with trailer camping. I have been reading a lot of threads on this site to get a little knowledge before diving in. This is obviously the right site to find out everything about Airstreams.

So I found a trailer in my home town for sale. It is a 72 Tradewind. I looked at it yesterday and it is not in very good shape - at least cosmetically. It has sat for 2-3 years in their backyard. The owner said that all the appliances work fine and the trailer is sound - but...

The carpet needs replaced; the drapes need replaced; the rolling cabinet doors are all broken; the interior door latches are all very sticky and need replaced; the mattresses and upholstry need replaced (gaucho and 2 twins); there are 2 rather large dents; there are 3 aluminum patches with hex-head screws; the tires probably need replaced; and the battery needs replaced...

These are the obvious problem and I believe that the floor and frame are all sound.

I am just torn by if I should buy this and put the extra work into it (my time and funds are very limited) - or if I shoud keep looking for one that is in better shape...

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

nmbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Oh - I almost forgot...

I drive a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD - it has a GVWR of 4920. I don't know how much the trailer weighs and if I have enough truck to pull it.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!
1072 Trade Wind (twin) dry weight is 4140 acording to
Add water, food, propane and stuff. Your Explorer also has a short wheelbase. I do not think I would want to tow with that setup. As far as the Trade Wind goes, it sounds like alot of work. You have not mentioned the big money items yet, the floor and the axels. I looked for my Airstream for almost a year, the first one you see may not be the right one. BTW, when the owner says that all of the appliances work, make him show you.
This document is a good guide of what to look for when buying. Good luck with your search!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks azflycaster - that's great advice. I looked all over for the weight. I guess I better look for a smaller one. I already have that webpage printed - it is a lot of help. Thanks again!