Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Tule

Currently Looking...
Stockton , California
Exclamation Newbie - Looking for love, er...Newer 22' Intnl.

Hello, all. This forum is just terrific!!! I have been wanting an Airstream forever, but just haven't had the time and/or money. Still don't, but am feeling that life is too short, so want to stick my neck out a bit; even though it may not be fiscally prudent at this time. I LOVE the 22' International with white laminate interiors - very clean and "modern" looking, ala the Jetsons! If you have a new model, or know someone who does, and want to sell, please let me know. We have looked at a couple of local dealerships, but would much rather avoid their sales tactics and higher prices for a slightly used one. We'd like to find a 2004 - 2006 model. We currently live in the central valley of Northern California. I am a teacher and hope to retire in the next eight years. We also have land on Orcas Island in Washington's San Juan Islands, so we will use the trailer to live up there whenever we can get away as well as travel around the U.S. and Canada again. Any guidance you can provide regarding finding our dream "home" would be greatly appreciated. Judging by the posts I've read so far, this is an AWESOME group and am thrilled to be a part of it.
Thanks.
Sally and Larry
aka tule
tule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Sally and Larry: Well, looks like I am the first to welcome you to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy the people here and enjoy your search to your new
a/s. As for where to look, be wary of e bay. There is a classified section in this forum, but there has been talk lately of some of the rigs being "flippers". What you IMO would like to see is an a/s that has been used by one owner for a few years and the rig shows loving care. Sounds like a slow prudent search will be involved. There is a courtesy inspection offered by some members to look at a trailer which is too far out of your area, but understand it is only an inspection and be prepared to offer expense money to the inspector if the trailer is not just around his/her corner to inspect. There is an international rally in Salem just starting, there will be thousands of trailers there and one might be for sale. Just my own thoughts, but welcome.

Robert
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
it's a drive...

but one of our members has one for sale.... "foiled again". I believe she posted it for sale in our classifieds maybe two months ago? She still has it.

Welcome from the great NW! Orcas Island is beautiful!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We are new too...

We bought a '66 Tradewind in April through ebay. Yeah, it is risky but if you do a lot of research before hand into what to look for and if possible see the AS before plunking down your hard earned teachers (kudos) pay. If you are looking at used AS expect to do some cleaning/minor repairs anyway. We researched for a year before findind our 40 year old '24 Tradewind. We wanted a vintage AS to pull with our classic convertible. Anyway we made the drive way up in Oregon (we live in Placerville) after winning the bidding on ebay armed with all the written claims/disclosers the seller stated and a good freind who would help see what our star glazed eyes would not see. When we got the trailer home I did find some undisclosed problems (split water pipes from freezing) and some other easily corrected, mostly cosmetic issues. Since I am recovering from major hip surgery I had the time to "play" with the repairs that I could do. It was fun for me and now the AS is ready to go as soon as my doctor releases me. Best wishes in your search. Remember research as much as you can.
Neil.
We researched
Quote:
Originally Posted by tule
Hello, all. This forum is just terrific!!! I have been wanting an Airstream forever, but just haven't had the time and/or money. Still don't, but am feeling that life is too short, so want to stick my neck out a bit; even though it may not be fiscally prudent at this time. I LOVE the 22' International with white laminate interiors - very clean and "modern" looking, ala the Jetsons! If you have a new model, or know someone who does, and want to sell, please let me know. We have looked at a couple of local dealerships, but would much rather avoid their sales tactics and higher prices for a slightly used one. We'd like to find a 2004 - 2006 model. We currently live in the central valley of Northern California. I am a teacher and hope to retire in the next eight years. We also have land on Orcas Island in Washington's San Juan Islands, so we will use the trailer to live up there whenever we can get away as well as travel around the U.S. and Canada again. Any guidance you can provide regarding finding our dream "home" would be greatly appreciated. Judging by the posts I've read so far, this is an AWESOME group and am thrilled to be a part of it.
Thanks.
Sally and Larry
aka tule
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote