Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #1

Youngstown , New York
Newbie, looking for insight

Greetings to All,
This is my first post. We do not own a trailer, yet. But we do have a plan. And it has taken
us a good while to get this far… Home is in Western N.Y. We are interested in the Safari line,
20’ to 23’ new or used. We hope to use our trailer for winter travel in the west, being able to
change location every couple of weeks. We have yet to actually see one of these units but know
we are on the right track! I’m hopeful that a dialog with you folks will develop and give us some
wisdom through your knowledge. Please enlighten !
pqtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums! Lots of expertise here. Also a classified section at the top so you can check out the previously loved Airstreams there. I'm not familiar with your area, but am sure someone will pipe in soon with a nearby dealer for you to check out. You can also try the 'mother ship' website...i.e. Airstream.com to see the newest from the factory.

You are making the right decision. There is no finer travel trailer than the airstream. Keep us all in the loop on your decisions.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #3

Youngstown , New York
Thanks

ScottW,

Thank you. I feel better already!

pq
Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
See them in person.

Looking over floor plans and pictures will only get you so far. Check the Rally calendar and the Airstream Dealers who have a lot of stock. Nothing compares to sitting in and walking around a real Airstream. You may even be near Penn Woods Airstream park in NW Pennsylvania. Now there's a nice place to see a lot of Airstreams, too.

Sit on the throne. Lie on the bed. If you don't fit in those two places, you won't be happy with your purchase for the long run.

Enjoy. The search is part of the fun.

See you down the road, Paula
Old 04-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #5

Youngstown , New York
Great idea, Penn Woods, good web site. Not sure how far but I'll ck it out...
Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
do you know about the vintage jam?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...8-a-40180.html

might be worth a drive to check out some incredible units. I think there will also be renovation workshops...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
PQ,
If you get a chance to get to Penn Wood Airstream Park, look us up in site A-46, our second home most weeknds. And yes there are a lot of new and vintage units on permanent sites so you can get a good glimpse of the different makes, models, lengths, floor plans, and years.

PS. From Youngstown, NY to Penn Wood is about 244 miles.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
When we started looking last fall, we checked dealer after dealer all over Ohio. We looked at new and a couple of years old but we had nothing to base our comparisons on - except those on the dealer's lots. Then we went to a couple of rallys. We discovered nearly ALL Airstream owners LOVE to show off their baby. We also met some really nice people. We were always welcomed to the group - large or small. We always took some dessert for them to share at their shared meals - we never stayed to eat their food. You could always take something for them to drink rather than dessert. But, that was the way to see the different floor plans, layouts, and how everyone makes each trailer their own. And the range of ideas that exist out there.

We looked and looked and finally found what we were looking for. We've made our first purchase and are still waiting to take her out on her maiden voyage. It's got to be getting closer but it hasn't happened yet. We've got a couple of rallys happening within the next two weekends but we're having the interior upholstery and curtains completely changed from what it was when we purchased it - and it will not be ready for either of the upcoming rallys. BUT, one of these days, we'll join the others and show her off to them and she'll be so happy to have folks walking through admiring what can be done when you want it to look differently that all the others with the same moniker. You can do whatever you wish to do. Find a dealer you can trust and work with - they are worth their weight in gold. Go to some rallys and see the different AS floor plans and what can be done with each of them. Decide what you want AFTER you've seen lots of variety. It can be new or it can have some age on it - the beauty of the AS is that they last a LONG time. Don't worry about one that is a couple of years old - and if you're ever in the central Ohio area, visit the Airstream factory in Jackson Center. Watch them being made - realize the factory workers are just as proud of their product as each owner and you'll know why the AS has such a strong following. You can't go wrong. Enjoy the search! And best of luck............
Prodigy Brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

You are already enlightened.

You know your dreams. You know what you want to do with your life. You know what you want to do with your trailer. You know where, and when you want to travel. All of that knowledge will guide you.
Leave it to me to muddy the water....Heres a riddle....What is too big on the road, and too small at a campground?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
You might consider a few things if you really want to use it in cold/mountain weather. I'm a bit of a newb myself - only going on 2 years, but I did take my '1969 31' to Steamboat for a month of skiing this winter and learned a few things. The winter living forums have a lot of good info - but don't be scared by the naysayers. Even with many nights in the negative degrees and even some in the -20 range I was toasty warm and had no freezing tanks, pipes, condensation, etc. . . . but I did a lot of research and it paid off. In particular there is a guy on this forum with great knowledge and experience - he goes by "2Airishuman". Be sure what ever you buy has tank heaters or plan on putting them in - small amount of $ for big benefit. I didn't have a skirt, but will next year. Window coverings inside and out are pretty important - think less in terms of what is conventional and think in terms of reducing heat transfer. There's some comfort in having traction devices at 11,500 feet altitude on a snow packed road - I didn't use my chains, but had a front and back set for my truck and also a dual set for both axles of my trailer. It's a blast - good luck in your search.
nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome From Burgerville

Found this very helpful place after Stream'n with our "63" Safari for 14yrs.

It's a real BUMMER that NY doesn't have an AS dealer yet, Darian Center,

where we bought ours closed last year.

This great group of folks has all the info you'll ever need. Take your time,

do your homework, plan on a good bit of travl'n, take lots of pictures of the

unit's you are attracted to along with along with good notes so you don't

lose track of all the + and -.

Your at one of the funest times.....ENJOY!!

Good luck in your search, and if you need a SILVER fix... come on down!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! Good luck on your search for that perfect Airstream! Lots of good advice already posted. Best is to get out and *see* real ones... the photos and layout plans help you, but being inside makes all the difference!

Here is a thread I think has some good food for thought whether buying new or vintage... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome PQ,

I studied for about 18 months before deciding to pursue a search for a vintage Safari. I chose this particular model because of it's size and weight. While it does not have a bedroom, it's easy to fold down the gaucho or make twin beds in the front of the coach (dinette area). It has plenty of closet space and the bathroom is big enough to be comfortable.

Good luck with your search!!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #14

Youngstown , New York
Wow !

I am just overwhelmed by all your feedback and interest. I'm sure I'll get a
chance to "chat" with everyone and asked more informed questions as I move forword on this AS mission. But for now let me say "Thank you"
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 AM   #15

2008 25' International CCD
Toronto , Ontario
Good luck - we just got our second Airstream, a 25' Sea Breeze. We used to have a 34' Classic and we found that way to big to haul around. You might find the 23' the best size since you don't want to get too small.

As to winterizing. We live in Canada and have spent 2 years travelling full time in a Class B. You might find that no RV can stand the Rocky winters. It can get pretty cold and remain under freezing for continued spells. The problem is your water tanks. They will freeze, expand and then crack the containers. Even though they say they can endure winter no RV can stand temperatures under -10 degrees. You can if you 'dry' camp but boy it can be cold. And a lot of the Rocky Mt. campsites in Canada and US are closed after Oct 1. Just some thoughts. Good luck!!!!!! Susan
Susan Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote