Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Henderson , Nevada
Newbie looking for AS Flying Cloud 20

Have been reading the forums for a bit, and wanted to introduce myself. Will be a solo AS gal soon. I live in the SF Bay Area - where the roads are crowded, the housing is expensive but the weather is just perfect. I started designing a tiny home and still might build but have started to research just getting out and traveling with an AS.

I've watched every Youtube video there is, I think. I'm on info overload on trucks. I own an SUV but the manufacturer does not recommend outfitting it for tow. So I am looking for a TV now, specifically, F150 or F250.

My search started in a Bambi 16 - w/2 dogs - is a little small for my taste. Plus the fact, that they designed one side of the dinette so small that even I, a skinny person, had difficulty getting into the dinette seating.

I have moved to loving the layout of the FC20. Any help on new v used would be great. I'm looking at a 2010 FC 20 used. Any problems, I should know about? It may be just personal taste and if I can afford the new. I'm not so mechanical but guess I will learn. Any help or advise for this gal would be great. I'm looking forward to the lifestyle change.

If you are full timing, did you sell your home or rent it out for income? I have a few years till retirement so this would be an early start!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Good job on all of your research and not just jumping into the first thing you came across. The floor plan of the FC 20 is awesome and good for one or two people. You need to be aware of the weight limitations in regards to how much you can store in it. With that said, there is great storage under the bed and it tows really well. It will fit into campground sites that larger trailers won't.

I tow mine with a Silverado 1500, tow package and tonneau cover on the back so I can put most of the gear there and keep the weight out of the trailer.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Good job on all of your research and not just jumping into the first thing you came across. The floor plan of the FC 20 is awesome and good for one or two people. You need to be aware of the weight limitations in regards to how much you can store in it. With that said, there is great storage under the bed and it tows really well. It will fit into campground sites that larger trailers won't.

I tow mine with a Silverado 1500, tow package and tonneau cover on the back so I can put most of the gear there and keep the weight out of the trailer.

Good luck on your search and keep us posted!

Do you have the 5.3 V8 and Z71 package? What does your avg. MPG look like when towing?
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
My Silverado has the Vortec 6.2L V8 engine. I live in Colorado and tow in the mountains quite a bit. It pulls the Airstream just fine.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
You are quite a distance away but there is a used 2008 20' at my dealer right now. North Trail RV Fort Myers, FL.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Henderson , Nevada
Ignore my last question about towing up hills. I didn't read down far enough.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I tow my FC 20' with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trucks are too big for me. It has a towing capacity of 6700 lbs. And I added a weight distribution system and sway bars for stability. I love my rig!!! And the 20' has an amazing kitchen. The biggest of all Airstreams.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from Colorado: I admire your decision to escape the city and head to calmer waters. An Airstream is a great way to do so. Seek back roads and smaller towns.

As you know, Airstream trailers are kinda "fair weather" trailers. Head toward the Pacific Northwest in the summer months, and migrate to southern California during the winter months. Snow bird style. You probably have already planned out your "domicile" address, health care, and budget. Full timing is a great experience but not the cheapest way to live. There are lots of threads here where folks describe living full time in their Airstreams.

You're not alone, you have two pet doggies to keep you company. We thoroughly enjoy our pet dogs. Wouldn't be without them.

There are certainly SUVs that can two a 20 footer. A pick up would give you more cargo carrying capacity.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
We tow our FC20 with a 2018 GMC Canyon (same as Chevy Colorado). I was pleasantly surprised at how well it does, point being the FC20 is an easy tow. That said if you are going fulltime you would likely want to haul more and heavier "stuff" so the F250 would be a great choice but with a MPG penalty of course. Not a fan of the "tiny houses", but best version of that concept I have seen is a friend's abode in the North West where they built a nice looking "shell" house around an Airstream with one end being essentially a disguised garage door. This allowed them to qualify it as a fulltime residence in an area where local codes did not allow use of travel trailers as residences. Pretty clever I thought.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote