Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Newbie in PA

I just started and am still looking for an Airstream. I am semi-retired, building a new home in the next year or so and want to set up an office/construction site trailer on my 4.5 acre hillside here in the Pocono "Mountains". Some day maybe it would be a studio/garden shed/retreat or something like that. There will be quite a nice view from the site particularly at sunset. Something with lots of square feet would be nice and does not need to be too road worthy. I will setup a temporary 110 service and just plug in. A larger propane tank on the ground is indicated too. Reading some of the posts here I get the urge to look for something to travel with but perhaps that will come later. I am single/divorced so I can do what I want. Furthermore, my French Brittany Spaniel "Buck" does not like sleeping in a DOG house. The member picture section here is really great but a little wide for my screen. I can see the restoration threads are going to be very helpful when I have a problem. I used to do some machine design so maybe I can contribute too.

Hi to all

Barry
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Barry. Best of luck with your search for the right Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Forums Barry, we are glad to have you join us. My name is "Boatdoc" of Norristown Pa. We have a semi adopted son who owns Lighthouse Harbor Marina whom we visit periodically. I would be more than happy to offer you any assistance in your endeavor for a Airstream. We have purchased 1973 26' Argosy last year, which we are restoring from ground up.
Whatever you do do not buy one site unseen. Watch out for unbelievable deals, most likely they are scams. I can help you if you ask. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I know a couple who sent tens of thousands to CA for a Caterpillar and never received it. The best or worst ones on the net are the emails and professional quality web pages asking for your vitals in order to check for security breaches. I am pretty careful. I may need a recommendation for towing a 31' Excella from the Delaware Valley to the Poconos.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I wasted all day Thursday driving to Conshohocken to look at a frameless beast. More Arab oil and time down the ... holding tank. There is a '53 footer in NJ that I thought might make a good traveler for one or two persons if cut down to Bambi size. Is that ever done? There goes "collectable". I need a small project where the end is in sight and less than 20 feet would work better.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Barry and welcome. I don't believe Airstream ever made a 53 footer. Or did you mean a 1953 model? Personally, I like the older units but that's just me. Welcome aboard.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Guess I am getting mature. I ment '53 26 footer. These restorations are residential personal property that is portable and appreciates. I am a little afraid of tackling rusted steel frame. Guess that comes from 4 years in the USN many years ago.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Welcome

No need to fear. The Forum members will guide you and they are incredibly generous with their advice and help.

Welcome!!!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I have an idea for efficiently conducting a search in rural areas for a prospect. Some counties in PA list trailers as real estate and the tax number is suffixed with a "T". Properties with the t that are going or have gone up for tax sale enter a data base. "Mapping" will give you the location of the trailer and several will indicate a good area to search. If you ever hit bingo it is back to the court house for the name and address of the owner. If it is on the repository list then BUY IT! Wonder what it would cost to clear title on a vintage AS. Excuse me while I look for my old list of TCB phone #s.

Barry
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
It looks to me like the supply of restorable '50s Airstreams is much more abundant in warmer climates. I guess many people purchase them up north and later someone drives them down south or south-west and fewer people drive them back up north. Maybe I can find someone down south in the spring with a tow vehicle who is coming up north empty.

Guess I will keep looking.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Early 70s 26 footer

There is a early 70s 26 footer up here about 40 minutes above Binghamton. It needs a good cleaning, hasn't moved in about 15 years, and the guy would probably take $2000 for it. It's all there, AC included. I think I have a couple pictures listed here on the forums in my gallery or search for "Jurasiac"

Good luck.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Rob, thanks for posting. I can't find those images but I am holding out for something from the '50s. If I had one that was under 20 feet I might be tempted to tow it south next winter and back for the summer months.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I am considering that 1948 AS Chinook that is on OldTrailerGuy Home.
I know it is a long ways from PA but what else do you people think?
Thanks

Barry
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Chinook?

In 48, AS had the following models: Weewind, TrailWind, Liner, Whirlwind. I have not heard of a Chinook. This trailer needs alot for the price! The skin has many dents and many patches. Lots of work there!!! and it'll be pricey! Plus, a long way to go, but you know that. Some work has been done on the frame so it has a hybrid pipe frame (original) and then additional C channel (the pipe frame (known to fail being this old) apparently needing work) to support the trailer. Beware. If you go get this, I'd put it on a trailer back to PA. Good luck.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
He does sah Airstream Liner Chinook so guess it is a Liner. I did notice some members here who have similar units so they can't be too rare. I really would prefer to find something sitting in a swamp somewhere and save it instesd of buying through a dealer. Seems like an important part of the journey.
Thanks Rob for the assessment, very helpful.
Barry
Old 01-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just a personal opinion, but you might buy something from the late 70's (that has both black and gray water tanks) to have fun in now. Then when you get the feel of what you want in an AS, go looking for the really old one that you can completely restore when you're not having fun in the newer one. You know once you get one and start camping, you gotta have another one to restore. It's an addiction. The late 70's and 80's AS and Aargosy trailers that are around are somewhat affordable without needing too many repairs before you can take them out on the road. Got to go camping.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #17

1977 28' Argosy 28
canadensis , Pennsylvania
there may be a couple of airstreams not far from you theres one on the way to coulurs just out side of stroudsburg, there was one over in Columbia NJ don't know what you want to spend temp trailers in canadensis could cause you troubles its not the old country any more if you know what mean.

cnb61(polished argosy upper seeese)
cnb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Polished Argosy thanks for the post. I am close to Canadensis (Barrett Township as you know) but in Price Township. What is "coulurs"? Exactly where is the one in Columbia?

Thanks

Barry