Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
We bought the foam at Joann's. It was on sale and used a holiday coupon. I used the original covers for a template for the gaucho covers.
Thats my plan too. Even though my gaucho is hideous, at least its there to be used as a pattern. The bunks are gone though, which I figure cant be too bad since its just a rectangle. Lucky I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, and I recently scored a serger on craigslist so I'm ready to get to work!

We dont have a JoAnn's in Stillwater, but I was going to check with Hobby Lobby. I dont know if they have foam or not.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I knew she had one, didnt know there was a video of it. got a link?
I don't know where the link is but the company that redid her A/S had video of showing her the inside of it. They also decorated her tour bus.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Thats my plan too. Even though my gaucho is hideous, at least its there to be used as a pattern. The bunks are gone though, which I figure cant be too bad since its just a rectangle. Lucky I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, and I recently scored a serger on craigslist so I'm ready to get to work!

We dont have a JoAnn's in Stillwater, but I was going to check with Hobby Lobby. I dont know if they have foam or not.
I don't think Hobby Lobby has it. At least, I don't remember ever seeing it there.. but I may not have looked in the correct place. You might be able to order it online from JoAnn's. Just keep in mind it stinks when you first buy it. We let it air out in the house for about a month before we started to use it.

I wrote up the pattern I used on our blog.... although I am not sure if it makes sense to anyone other than me. It's not complicated to sew ... but you are working with so much fabric at once that it is tiring.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Ah, I see. So If I need something from Griffins, ask got Tom. Gotcha.
That won't be difficult -- Tom owns it (Tom Griffin) and does 99% of the work himself...his lovely wife runs the front office and usually answers the phone if you call.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
I'm sort of a newbie down here in Norman town. Mine is a '76 Safari 23' all totally refreshed and polished. We have a traveling group down here of three vintage AS's and one tiny teardrop! A '64, a '68 and my '76. Look for Farrel Droke on FB for pics!
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #26
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Hi farrel,
seems the Okie contingent is growing. Would love to see pics but no facebook here. It was interfering with my day to day activities.. and too many people found me that I didn't want to!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Welcome Sara,I have a 1963 19' Globetrotter. Let me know if I can help w/ any questions. You can PM me or call (918)645.2762......Brian
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
68Safari22

1968 22' Safari
edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
There's no A/S dealer in OK -- only a service center which is Griffin RV. We take ours over to Tom when things are just out of my capabilities -- the funny thing is that we bought our '71 off craigslist from a place up in Enid, and it was originally purchased from a place called Brassfields RV off Route 66 here in OKC. Long story short, that dealership was owned by Tom's father and Tom used to work there growing up and serviced our A/S when it was brand new. The guy is totally awesome...but it does come at a price.
I really like Tom. I have often gone in just to ask a question or buy a part and he has always taken time to visit and answer my questions. There is no attachment of the body to the bumper assembly on a 68 so I was a little worried about the dreaded rear separation. There was a slight separation of about 1/2 inch. I took it to Tom and he made the attachment. Did a great job. You can't tell by looking at it that it is now firmly attached. But if you run your fingers under the crossmember below the edge of the body there is a row of bolts. The price was reasonable, but not cheap. It only took a few days, but I had to wait about 4 months to get the trailer in. He is really busy.
Harleyyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #29
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyyat View Post
I really like Tom. I have often gone in just to ask a question or buy a part and he has always taken time to visit and answer my questions. There is no attachment of the body to the bumper assembly on a 68 so I was a little worried about the dreaded rear separation. There was a slight separation of about 1/2 inch. I took it to Tom and he made the attachment. Did a great job. You can't tell by looking at it that it is now firmly attached. But if you run your fingers under the crossmember below the edge of the body there is a row of bolts. The price was reasonable, but not cheap. It only took a few days, but I had to wait about 4 months to get the trailer in. He is really busy.
Yup, that's totally Tom! We're going to be taking ours in probably next month for a rear-end sep fix as well in our '71 -- nothing major but wanting to get it tightened up before it starts to become a problem.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sarah

Welcome to the Forums. Glad you went from lurker to owner. You picked a good one too. I love our 66 TW. Sounds like an active friendly group in Oklahoma.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Welcome Sara,I have a 1963 19' Globetrotter. Let me know if I can help w/ any questions. You can PM me or call (918)645.2762......Brian
Thanks Brian! I would love to see your Globetrotter sometime since its the same year.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Ok Okies, here is my next question:

Whats your favorite place in Oklahoma to take your AS. And why? Any little known places I should know about?

(keep in mind that since I'm not a native Oklahoman, there are still many places here that I have not checked out!)
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #33
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
We have owned Airstreams since 1981, 3 1972s, 1 1973, and currently a 1991 model. I reupholstered all of them except our current unit and made the Airstream drapes which are a pain. I have bought foam at various places but to get the big form you may have to go to a shop that supplies foam for upholsterers. Truman's Fabric and Foam Supply in Oklahoma City, Ok will have what you need and cut it for you. Their number is 405-692-0020 and their address is 10808 S. Portland Ave. They will tell you how to get there from Stillwater. In our 1972 31' model we bought a piece of form to extend the twin bed to a double bed when needed and I bought it there. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will try and help as we live in Edmond, OK. Congratulations on your trailer.
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrel509 View Post
I'm sort of a newbie down here in Norman town. Mine is a '76 Safari 23' all totally refreshed and polished. We have a traveling group down here of three vintage AS's and one tiny teardrop! A '64, a '68 and my '76. Look for Farrel Droke on FB for pics!
Hey thats quite a group! I looked you up on FB, but you pics must not be public. The AS in your profile pic is so shiny and pretty! Do you polish yourself or have it done?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgreen View Post
We have owned Airstreams since 1981, 3 1972s, 1 1973, and currently a 1991 model. I reupholstered all of them except our current unit and made the Airstream drapes which are a pain. I have bought foam at various places but to get the big form you may have to go to a shop that supplies foam for upholsterers. Truman's Fabric and Foam Supply in Oklahoma City, Ok will have what you need and cut it for you. Their number is 405-692-0020 and their address is 10808 S. Portland Ave. They will tell you how to get there from Stillwater. In our 1972 31' model we bought a piece of form to extend the twin bed to a double bed when needed and I bought it there. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me and I will try and help as we live in Edmond, OK. Congratulations on your trailer.

Hey Thanks! I'll price foam from them as well. The only lead I've had so far has been Allied Foam in OKC.

Allied Foam
902 North Ann Arbor Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73127-5827
(405) 946-0384

Now at least I have three places to compare. Allied, JoAnn's, and Truman's.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #36
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
We have waxed it but that is it. Waxing the Airstream took several days. When I took the pictures, the sun was shining too brightly and made it look better. It does have clear coat peeling on the upper area of the roof. It's the nicest one we have owned and we are quite proud of it. I'm glad you could see the pic in my profile as it has all disappeared for me and my isn't showing up in my posts. I had a senior moment when logging in earlier and messed up my password and that is probably what messed the whole thing up. Even my name is showing up right or that I have made previous posts.
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Ok Okies, here is my next question:

Whats your favorite place in Oklahoma to take your AS. And why? Any little known places I should know about?

(keep in mind that since I'm not a native Oklahoman, there are still many places here that I have not checked out!)
So far, Roman Nose State Park. Has great hiking trails, horse rides(costs extra), a pool(costs extra), paddle boats(costs extra), minature golf(costs extra), natural (cold) springs, pull through full hookup sites for a decent price. Although from Boiling Springs State Park you can visit Alabaster Caverns as well. We still have a few more to check out....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #38
H. Green

1991 25' Excella
Edmond , Oklahoma
Beavers Bend State Park down in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. It is beautiful there with hiking trails, campsites on the river, boating, fishing, horse back riding, etc. It is about 5 hrs from OKC but the park is beautiful and close to Broken Bow Lake. Also, my real profile is hazelgreen and not hgreen although I am trying to get that straightened out.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco

Hey thats quite a group! I looked you up on FB, but you pics must not be public. The AS in your profile pic is so shiny and pretty! Do you polish yourself or have it done?
Ill see about changing my FB profile. The guy who did most of the work had a company in San Diego do the initial polish. Last summer, I did the whole cyclo polisher with Nuvite on it.Four days of work! It was blinding! You should see the inside! Everything on it is new. I'm really happy to have it but sometimes I lust after one of the new front bed configurations to get the queen bed and the bigger shower.
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Just a quick update. I'm nearly finished with my curtains, and upholstery fabric has been purchased... I still need to order the replacement foam for the bunks and gaucho. I also moved into a new house a few weeks ago, and now Miranda has her very now barn to live in! Removall has been ordered to start stripping.

Bring on Spring!