Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
Newbie in NJ

Hi all!

Me and better half just took the plunge. Been wanting to be an AS owner for a long time. We will be picking up our 27FB Flying Cloud in a couple of weeks and doing our maiden voyage to the Airstream Campground in South Jersey.
Any good newbie advice... (I know I am leaving myself open on this one).
Any recommendations on a RVdump site in central NJ.

Thanks
Dean
deanNdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Best advise I can give is to have a wonderful ride, and congratulations. John and I are still in search of our AS, so we will be reading all your posts and answers. Happy rolling
Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Congratulations Newbie in NJ! Just like having a new baby isn't it?
When looking for RV dump sites, look for a travel center...like Pilot or Flying J or TA, they usually have dump sites and some charge, some don't. Or find a local campground and call them.
Hope to see you on the road...
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
WElcome Aboard....

dNd,

Congrats!!!!

Pay close attention on dealer orientation, video if possible. Stay overnight on dealer lot, have at least on meal there. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get on the road,(very hard).
Ask questions.....

Colonial AS?....GREAT customer service.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Where do I find...

First, congratulations!

If you haven't used your black tank yet, consider filling it with fresh water and doing a practice dump right to the back yard. Mistakes in dumping can be "unfortunate". Don't get me wrong -- it's not hard -- just be right.

When you are looking for just about anything, check out Campgrounds and RV Parks, Hotels and Motels - AllStays. They have a good website and some good mobile apps. They won't have everything, but normally have something good nearby. They have several sets of databases online or apps. Maybe the Dump one is a good one to try.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
Thanks for the replies!
Yes bought it Colonial so far so good.
Since this is our first you are right its like having your first baby, what do I need, how do I do that. Great analogy! Starting to but a list together of the things I need. Just like owing a boat I guess. (BOAT....Bust out another thousand...LOL) Looking forward to going on a trip. Thinking about some of the NJ State parks.
Dean
deanNdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanNdonna View Post
Hi all!

Me and better half just took the plunge. Been wanting to be an AS owner for a long time. We will be picking up our 27FB Flying Cloud in a couple of weeks and doing our maiden voyage to the Airstream Campground in South Jersey.
Any good newbie advice... (I know I am leaving myself open on this one).
Any recommendations on a RVdump site in central NJ.

Thanks
Dean

Dean,

Try this website RV dump stations for New Jersey, United States of America
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Welcome Neighbor!

Hello DeanNDonna,
Congratualations on your new Airstream!
Nice to see a fellow Jersey couple on the forums. We just picked up our new-to-us Safari on Saturday (so exciting!). We've been reading and posting here for several weeks now and have found an abundance of goodwill as well as friendly, knowledgeable advice.

Not too many campgrounds in central Jersey, but we do have a local gem that few people seem to know about: Cheesquake State Park.

Here is link to Cheesequake. I believe they have a dumping station.

Cheesequake State Park, a New Jersey State Park near Avenel, Basking Ridge, Bayonne, Bensalem, Berkeley Heights

Good luck and happy travelling...

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Welcome to the Club. there are many parks in So. Jersey {The 51st State} but a lot close after the 15th or the end of Oct. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Welcome fellow SJ'er!

Congrats on your new baby. Colonial has been great to us. No question too stupid . Patrick and Lauren and Bob and Tony have held our hands many times, very patient. My wife & I aren't big on NJ camping, especially the commercial ones. However, we do like Wading Pines in Chatsworth (cranberry country) next to the river (water, elect, cable, no sewer). If you don't mind a short ride into Maryland, try Elk Neck State Park, or even Kiptopeke, near the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Again, congrats, get out there, don't be afraid of mistakes, they're half the fun!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
Smile Me too!

We just picked up a 22' Sport at Colonial, in NJ and got there at night..the lights were on and we found the key and had orientation next day.
Then we went to the NJ state rally at Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. We planned to spend a test weekend in NJ before going back to upstate NY and it just happened to be the rally weekend. BEST IDEA..go to a rally! It was fantastic! Everyone was helpful and we got all kinds of information. So if any of those guys are reading...THANKS
We forgot a lot of stuff from the orientation, although it was great; but when we got to the rally we had 5 people helping us unhitch and suggestions all weekend, couldn't hope for a friendlier group.

Now a question if anyone is still with me...the mattress in the 22' Sport is a bit hard for us, what has anyone done to adapt it if anyone has the same issue?

Also, I know moisture can build up inside, is a cracked window & fan on low enough to keep humidity down?
Thanks,
Robbie
rlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
welcome!
it seems like this area is adding a lot of members :-)

for the newbies.... it is always best to use the google search option here for your questions. it keeps the information tidy for searching :-) it is almost rare to find a question that is new. some questions can bring days of reading! enjoy!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Robbie, wemet you ay the intros at that rally. And Monkeypants is right onabout Wading Pines and Elk Neck. And youve already seen Airstream Haven. And a window cracked open and a fan going will help. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Congratulations on your new baby !!
Colonia AS will put you through real good and like you've been advised earlier, plan on a sleepover at Colonia. Fill up your water tank half way, check for leaks and dump your grey / black tanks at Colonia dump station right before you leave the following morning. They will give you initial supplies for your black tank mix prior to use and just pay attention. Best wishes.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Congratulations!
If I had any advice it would be to stay close to the dealership for a day or two. There is bound to be a thing or two that might need fixed and you will have questions no matter how good the walk through was. Also, get a copy of "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming". Wish we had it when we got ours. It is available through Airstream Life and I understand it is available on Kindle.
Cheers
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
FREE in central Jersey is hard.

There is a dump station at the lower end of 295 in the rest area at mile marker 3.

Pine cone charges almost as much as a camp site for none customers.

Most truck stops have dump stations but will charge for the use.

Valley Forge Pa service area has one at a charge.

I use the curb side sewer clean out in my front yard. Free and never crowded.

Many camper bring a connection out the side of their house close to where they park

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
We just picked up a 22' Sport at Colonial, in NJ and got there at night..the lights were on and we found the key and had orientation next day.
Then we went to the NJ state rally at Jersey Shore Airstream Haven. We planned to spend a test weekend in NJ before going back to upstate NY and it just happened to be the rally weekend. BEST IDEA..go to a rally! It was fantastic! Everyone was helpful and we got all kinds of information. So if any of those guys are reading...THANKS
We forgot a lot of stuff from the orientation, although it was great; but when we got to the rally we had 5 people helping us unhitch and suggestions all weekend, couldn't hope for a friendlier group.

Now a question if anyone is still with me...the mattress in the 22' Sport is a bit hard for us, what has anyone done to adapt it if anyone has the same issue?

Also, I know moisture can build up inside, is a cracked window & fan on low enough to keep humidity down?
Thanks,
Robbie
For us, I looked for a memory foam topper. We got ours at a Super K in Key Largo (long way to go, I know). Also, for humidity, we go with Damp Rid, does the job.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote